Jet Provost 1.5metre Andy Blackburn PSS Plan

Peter Garsden

Are you planning to do any pilots Andy? If so count me in also. Will suitable reimburse you obviously.

I checked the plan last night and I am not sure if full size seats will fit, that is unless somehow we avoid the battery box. Maybe, not sure.

Certainly the distance from the top of cockpit to the top of the battery box may allow the pilot to be seated but not sure.

You have the scale above.

Hi Pete,

I've still not got the full size drawings yet from SLEC (due next week I think) but I'm sure the scale is 1/8th, I think Andy specifies this in the plan title box - I'm guessing you've scaled the full size span down to model size to get 1:7.17 - but please remember the model does have a slight wing span and area increase from true scale to improve all round model performance.

Without the drawings in front of me perhaps Andy B can confirm - this is a 1/8th scale model?

Posted by Andy Meade on 09/08/2019 08:43:35:

No problems, I've not printed anything yet. I will either delete the battery box (it's a poor fit for LiFe cells) or modify it heavily to miss the seats and pilots. I'd like to keep the full depth detail if possible as the airframe is a decent size.

You could, should you be so inclined, make the battery box but use it purely as an assembly aid - just tack-glue the formers to it and then remove the box as soon as the sides are in place.

A.

All good thoughts.

It is 1/8 scale - would have helped to read the plan!

Well the HUGE woodpack has arrived from Balsa Cabin. It includes the tailplane and fin, also underneath and top sheeting, and as the fuselage is more than 4 inches wide one needs to butt joint 2 sheets together hence the large number of sheets of 3/8".

I am thinking of putting some lightening holes maybe in formers, the taiilplane, and maybe the fin. Don't want to offend our designer, but there is a lot of wood, and the JP is famous for flying in marginal conditions. We have gone up a thickness for the wing skins to 3/32", and I remember Matt building a very light version as he always does when we did the mass build (and we used to see him regularly!)20190810_065530.jpg

I am itching to make a start but I am limited without the SLEC pack which will arrive soon.

Phil, does the woodpack include the battery box?

Edited By Peter Garsden on 10/08/2019 07:24:00

Hiya Pete

the SLEC CNC/Laser woodpack doesn't include the battery box. There's plenty of parts you could make from the plan ahead of the woodpack being realised, Fin and Rudder, Tailplane and Elevators, fuselage sides, air intake components. Ill re-email you the .jpg's I created to show what you get in the pack if that helps??

Posted by Peter Garsden on 10/08/2019 07:22:55:

I am thinking of putting some lightening holes maybe in formers, the taiilplane, and maybe the fin. Don't want to offend our designer, but there is a lot of wood, and the JP is famous for flying in marginal conditions.

Pete - it's up to you, of course, but I think you'll be absolutely fine as long as you use some light wood - by which I mean 6-7 lb cu/ft - for most of the structure, particularly that aft of the wing. And remember that a lot of the wood gets planed and sanded away.

It'll fly differently to the smaller JP and should be more efficient, but what you don't want to end up with is something that doesn't carry momentum through manoevres.

Just my two penn'orth.

A.

• 2 weeks later...

I met Phil tonight in Leek who handed over the woodpack and a plan. I already have 2 plans and therefore I don't need my plans - so if anyone wants a set of plans, I can post them to you. Cost £12 including postage. PM me.

I have checked the plans and they are identical. Mine is accurate to within .5mm. So the SLEC plan is perfect and matches the laser cut wood pack.

20190822_220636.jpg

20190822_220643.jpg

20190822_220651.jpg

Not much progress other than to start with the tailplane - never started with that before.

As the tailplane is exactly 4 inches wide and the same width as my wood, I decided to make cardboard templates to draw round. It is probably less work than sticking the plan to the wood and cutting round that but hey ho

I won't make templates for everything - most of the parts are already cut out in the laser cut short kit, but for anything else, I will use carbon paper under the plan.

20190824_104729.jpg

20190824_104744.jpg

20190824_104750.jpg

So now all the parts are cut out to size and are drying overnight pinned to plan using aliphatic resin, which is best for butt joints imho.

20190827_210710.jpg

Incidentally, the plan covering is florist wrapping which comes in a roll. It is a bit thin to be honest but does work.

Edited By Peter Garsden on 27/08/2019 23:12:16