DB Auster J1.

I have a DB Auster all but finished, a great model from Dave Boddington.

Whilst building mine i referred many times to a series of posts by ‘Dwain Dibley’. This chap is a real master and helped me tremendously.

he is still about on the forums and i think is at present building a Brian Taylor Cessna. You may be able to PM him and i am sure he would be willing to help.

Good luck, a very nice big model which should fly like a dream. My first full size flight in an Auster 5 way back around 1956 if my memory serves me well. All along the coast from lovely Shoreham Airport, and the cost,...just one English Pound, now that really does show my age. G-ANHR by the way which i believe still survives but needs some TLC.

• 8 months later...

to Dwain Dibley,

having trouble with The Auster front glazing.

I know its some time since you built yours.can you remember if the glazing had to be cut to fit?

I have fitted the glazing either side as per your pics but the glazing will not fold back over the ribs on the fuz side without trying to spring out at either side under the ribs.

many thanks

Hi Ian,

I built the DB Auster a couple of years ago. Flew like a dream. However I had problems with the front glazing. Several failed attempts (using additional polycarbonate(?) sheet purchased elsewhere) for much the same reasons as you describe. Solution was a combination of very careful cutting and softening the sheet with a heat gun to get it to adopt the right profile (upon cooling). Hope that helps.

Piers

Hello Mate,

Yes I am afraid it was a great deal of trial and error to get the glazing around those ribs. If you look at pic one and then pic five you will see that I had to take out even more on the final fit. A bit, and I stress, A BIT, of heat from a hair dryer helps with the bending.

Hope that helps bud. Post a few pics of how you are doing.

Ahh Piers beat me to it.  laugh

Cheers

D.D.

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 29/04/2020 22:37:15

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dwain,

I am currently battling with the front glazing on the DB Auster and your pictures a great help thanks. Did you glue the top glazing in place or use screws as in the front? Two separate kit reviews I have are not that clear to me. I would prefer not to glue but cannot see where I could screw it down. Thanks, Chris

Hi Chris,

I dug out a couple more photos for you that show the top glazing.

There are two screws in the back, but it is mainly glued on. I use a canopy glue, there are many available, that goes clear when dry. Pins and tape help while the drying takes place. The front screen is over the top sheet at the front, to stop it lifting in the airflow.

Hope this helps you out.

D.D.

auster cockpit detail4    003.jpg

auster cockpit detail4    004.jpg

• 2 months later...

Sorry to jump on somebody else's thread but I'm finishing off a DB Sport & Scale Auster which was given to me incomplete several years ago. The owner had gone all electric.

Just a couple of question to you Auster builders.

1. I appreciate that considerable trial and error is required to get the windscreen into place but do you fit the windscreen before the top glazing or vice versa?
  2. Have any of you added baffles inside the cowling to cool the engine? I will be using a Laser 80 to power mine.

A lad up in the Val De Loire is making a pilot for me on his 3D printer. We have called Austin the Auster Pilot! He is to go in before all of the glazing is installed of course.

I need to plane down some pine which I bought at a local builders' merchants in order to make up the struts and finally if I make a horlicks of the windscreen fitting I can always use the flat Australian Bush windscreen like this one!

auster 2.jpg

Then again if I make a good job of it, I'll finish the model in this scheme. White Austers are pretty rare you know!

auster 4.jpg

Hi D D try Google for G-APCY, an Auster we flew in the British Eagle flying club, way way back when

I believe it's still around in Australia as VH-PCY, similar scheme.

Lovely colour scheme !

Rgds DC

Edited By Dave Cunnington on 14/07/2020 10:46:04

Edited By Dave Cunnington on 14/07/2020 11:01:49

Posted by Dave Cunnington on 14/07/2020 10:45:28:

Hi D D try Google for G-APCY, an Auster we flew in the British Eagle flying club, way way back when

I believe it's still around in Australia as VH-PCY, similar scheme.

Lovely colour scheme !

Rgds DC

Edited By Dave Cunnington on 14/07/2020 10:46:04

Edited By Dave Cunnington on 14/07/2020 11:01:49

Trouble is Dave that I'm useless at painting model aircraft so tend to go for very simple colour schemes and as my model has been covered in white Solartex, it's a substantially white scheme which I am going to go for.

auster 1.jpg

• 6 months later...

I have managed to pick up an unstarted DB Auster which if there is interest will do a thread on here.

I dont do ic, but for the heck of it i have a Saito Fa 82b that should pull it well.

May need some advice on all things ic.

My only problem is I have the plans but no instructions. I can probably figure it out but could somebody scan them for me?

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1