Sabre made in Belgium

20191219_224945.jpgThen added a dubbler on the back side for the panel to rest on .Also added a former just behind the hinge line to support the hatch and to accept the hinge supports later.All in place in the next pic.

The most dificult part is to get the hinge holes and pins in the right place .As they are pré drilled in the epoxy hinge-parts it's like a darts game here.

Once i was happy with this i could "test" the brake opening it.To my surprise it went very well !

With the pioneer hole in the right spot it's time to enlarge it to the diameter of the brass tube i'm using to "hinge" the two parts.20191219_224932.jpg

20191225_181358.jpg20191225_181351.jpgReading this blog myself did me realize there's something important missing.

For the builders here who want to make speed brakes: Be sure you place the hinge supports perpendicular to the hinge pin ! If not , the brake will touch the sides in the area of the hinge-covers. For the good order i'm showing the LEFT brake here.20191225_181426.jpg

With the two brake assemblies ready it's time for another challenge : Mounting them in the fuse !

Getting them in the right place so that the panels follow the fuse her curvatures is the hard part here .

Normally that should be the drawing on the fuse but i found out the hard way that this is only in theory !

I had to make the opening a little bigger to move arround with the brake -set to find the right position.

In the end i got it right.20191227_225933.jpg

First test is to spray some black paint and give it a light sand to find the ''low''spots.After some filling and glassing this will be fine.

Next task is to place the other brake-set in just the same position so that they open and drop the same amount.

Same problem here: I had to make the opening bigger to find the right position. This resulted in some gaps to fill with balsa scrap and cyano.

The hinge pins can still be removed at this point. Not sure yet how i'm going to fix this when all is glassed and painted20191227_230020.jpg

Good evening all !

With the speed brakes in place, i sorted out the servo tray's.Best position IMO is as close as possible to the wing saddle and as much forward as the fuse opening let's me . According to this position ,i placed the snakes and supported them as much as i could to avoid slop.20191229_223906.jpg

With the brakes operational it's time for the fin.I laminated two 6 mm balsa planks and cut out the fin and started to sand it as per plan.To get the shape right i drew a line at the thickest point and sprayed the fin with some black sanding guide to see where you sand : not touching the line !20200107_231541.jpg