Glue for PLA and PET-G

MAD Dave

I have just ordered my (first!) 3D printer with a view, in part, to it contributing to my model builds; possibly even construction of whole models.

In the case of a "whole model", printed in pseudo-Airfix components and glued together to form the whole, I am at a slight loss to know what adhesive to use; PLA and PET-G in particular.

Does anyone out there have any practical experience and recommendation(s) please?

What I am particularly keen to avoid is the likes of this........... **LINK**

Most posts seem to recommend superglue for PLA.

But the break up of that aircraft is not necessarily a glue fail issue. It's a new technology, new engineers designing, a biggish ducted fan, the flight loads are considerable, and it had a glue joint holding the wing on, without a proper spar. That is obvious from the video, and no amount of glue replaces a spar.

Use quality superglue for PLA and accelerator , that Super Sabre has carbon does at the wing root . Start of with a simple design to perfect your printing and integrity of parts . I have thrown a printed wing out the window as a test and it stayed intact apart from some crush damage where it hit the concrete .

I really wouldn't worry yet about how to glue things together. By the time you work out how to use a 3d printer, get it all dialled in etc you'll know

3d printing isn't complicated but you do need to learn how to use the machine, how to calibrate it etc. It takes a while. Admittidly PLA is much easier to with than some of the other materials but it still takes a while in my experience.

Posted by Martin Harris on 21/08/2019 18:24:25:

In my experience, CA glue works very well with PLA but most failures have been due to layer separation failure under bending loads- maybe my settings aren't optimised but a bit of thought in print orientation pays dividends...

+1 for accurate prints ,better of printing a simple printed plane files from 3d.com print as many as you want

Many thanks for your inputs chaps.

I have yet to get my Prusa Mk3s kit out of its box, having stalled at the somewhat voluminous assembly instructions book! In the meantime, if anyone learns something significant re PLA/PET-G adhesive, please let me know via this thread.

Back to studying the assembly instructions...........

• 2 months later...

Having got my 3D printer kit built and working successfully, I have used Tinkercad to design and print a few sundry items, even a made-to-measure battery tray/Rx mount for my "pre-loved" HK Spitfire. I am very pleased with the quality of the prints so far and have aspirations to use the printer for further modelling bits and pieces. As a start, I decided I would like to have a go at constructing a simple straight sided (trapezium) outline fin for my latest home build project – and have hit a brick wall. I am aware that a classically built up fin would probably be lighter but just wish to give it a go and see what I can achieve.

My status in the 3D print world is of course biased toward the inexperienced end of the spectrum, so, any tips and suggestions would be most appreciated.

Put simply, I have the root aerofoil and the tip aerofoil but I cannot see how to smoothly fill the space between them. I am quite able to position each aerofoil correctly in 3D space in software relative to each other but filling the space between them is my challenge. I am yet to come across the "secret button" or process.

I have had reasonable success with Tinkercad and have installed Fusion 360 on my pc. I am slowly working my way into '360.

As stated above, any help would be much appreciated.

• 2 years later...

I've built two 3D printed planes both using cyno which worked so well that I wouldn't trust anything else. Having said that they were out of LW-PLA. Any solvent based glue, to be effective, would need to dissolve the parent material slightly to create a weld and after that would need considerable time to reach full strength.