Incidence Meter/Gauge Measurement

Capt Kremen

I agree, for mono-planes it is not a problem, but how can I check the wing incidence for a biplane when the top wing is supported on cabane struts made from bent wire? Wire bending to the accuracy needed is not my strong suit!

William

I have a Precedent Stampe that has wire cabane’s.

at sometime in its life it has suffered damage to them.

My plan is to cut all of them in half apart from one

And silver solder rubes on the wire stubs then use a incesedence gauge to assist and jig the top wing into its correct location

then Silver solder the rest of the wires

If they haven't got access to a 3D printer, I'd imagine any modeller could knock one of these up in a few minutes from some scrap plywood.

I've certainly used my incidence meter on a number of occasions - one that springs to mind is my 1/4 scale Cub which has functional wing struts and needs them adjusting initially to set the correct washout on the non-tortionally stiff wing construction.

• 2 years later...

I have an Accupoint unit from Great Planes which I found very useful with my Pitts biplane to get both the wings aligned correctly.

I am now building a Miles Magister and picked up a laser level unit which projects a laser cross from an online shop.

This I have found much easier to use and more accurate to get all the alignments correct, wing incidence, wing / tail plane alignment, tail plane / fin alignment.

Brilliant and just for £22.

Obviously it can also be used for DIY.