Andy Edmead Build Blog Sabre

Right wingThanks for the info Martin.

I have reworked my mistake, I read the plan wrong regarding the ply brace.

I have now got a skinned right wing! I just need to add the leading edge and wing tips.

I noticed a warp in my wing when I checked it but I weighted it down on the

Jig overnight and it was much better. It’s now staying on the jig!

I’ve just glued the main spar on the bottom skin for the left

wing. It’s very slow progress as I’m only managing a few hours a week.

• 2 months later...

Hi Andy

I noticed the same on a couple of the formers - its easy enough to correct for.

I'd keep the top rear spine as a datum as this is straight, and bring the lower spine up just a touch along its entire length so that the former fits flush top and bottom. I found they just sat within the lines on the plan... it didnt need a big adjustment.

As the fuselage tapers to the rear in profile you can afford to move F8 rear a little too if that helps... it will soon meet the edge of the spine.

Hi Andy,

Regarding the amount of planks, the general consensus is to start planking at the datum line.

Then you can go up one plank and go down one as well until you're about 25mm (1 inch) from the building board.

I would suggest to bevel each plank on one side to get a gap-free fit between the planks when glued to the formers.

Hope this helps.

Chees

Chris

Edit > well, Phil beated me to it...  yes

Edited By McG 6969 on 09/02/2020 20:05:17

Thanks Chris and Phil. I’m making good progress but my building board is fixed so I can’t turn it around and it’s getting difficult to plank the side away from me. I’ve been using cyno at the end of the fuz to set the plank in place then the aliphatic for the rest. I reckon I’ve spent about 6 hours on one half already. Gonna be some man hours in it when I’ve done. I’ve done at least 50 percent of the planking I think.

I feel like if I had to do this build again it would be much better!

So I’ve started the other side of my the fuz now. I made the stringers longer , this helped to keep the planks pinned down. I assembled the fuz last night and started planking today.

I hopefully will be ready to join the two halves soon. Still a lot of work to do.

Pics attached, the use of pins will please those with an ocd about using the same coloured pins.

Fuz2

Planking

Hi Andy,

As for the weight of your glass, I would tend to go with 25g/m².

Regarding the amount needed, don't forget the few inches needed to 'overhang' your parts for a decent result.

I didn't measure it yet but I would go for at least 2m² if you're glassing it entirely.

So I would say 2,5m² for 'safety' reasons. As with balsa, you never have too much at hand...

But I would wait for one of the glass covering Gurus to show up...

Cheers

Chris

• 1 month later...

f1854ca6-bb1d-41ee-97d0-d0bfdf836e8d.jpegI’ve made a little more progress now as my workplace has closed for now.

i sanded a little of the fuz, indeed they do come up well.

I have Been working on elevator and actuator.

I cut the Slots for the piano wire and checked the fit before glueing.

I managed to get one of the sides Sanded and shaped with reasonable success.

i Installed the bell crank, notice in my pictures the grey spacers. The spacers where left over from electric props and where a perfect fit.

still a lot of worke to do 😢

Edited By Andrew Edmead on 30/03/2020 22:37:28

Edited By Andrew Edmead on 30/03/2020 22:41:44

I’m stuck a little on the fillets that go either side of the fin. How much do they actually splay out as on the plan it looks

a lot but on various build blogs it seems to vary.

Also is there a dimension (width) for the rectangular bit that sits on top of the exhaust at its extreme?

Thanks

Andy