What are your three favourite war movies?

Peter Miller

Posted by Rich too on 20/10/2019 13:44:09:

I’m not a war film fan either, but The Great Escape was an old favourite that I looked forward to every Christmas, and also anything with Donald Sutherland in it - there was one particular one where he drove a tank but I can’t remember the name.....

Was it the Dirty Dozen?

Posted by cymaz on 20/10/2019 13:45:29:
Posted by Rich too on 20/10/2019 13:44:09:

I’m not a war film fan either, but The Great Escape was an old favourite that I looked forward to every Christmas, and also anything with Donald Sutherland in it - there was one particular one where he drove a tank but I can’t remember the name.....

Was it the Dirty Dozen?

Just looked it up, I believe it was Kellys Hero’s and he played Oddball !!! I was a massive Sutherland fan.

Edited By Rich too on 20/10/2019 14:09:05

Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 20/10/2019 10:51:57:

You'll see some real stinkers on the Movies For Men channel. I watched one recently, called Operation Dunkirk, so bad I had to watch it to the end where a French resistance fighter, wearing a beret, of course, was flown back to England by the RAF in a bright blue and yellow Stearman biplane. Needless to say it was filmed in America.

Movies for men (?) my favourite channel. So many films that are so bad, they're actually quite good. To be fair, they do show some genuine good ones that have slipped through the net over the years. Recently on....Man in the sky, with Jack Hawkins and Cone of Silence with George Sanders and Peter Cushing. Picked them up on DVD recently.

1. Patton

2. Tora, Tora Tora

3. Midway (though not the sub-plot)

but I also highly rate Dunkirk (original with Bernard Lee), 12 O'clock High, Battle of the River Plate, Malta Story, Flying Leathernecks, The Way to the Stars, Angels One Five, The Blue Max, The Enemy Below, Sink the Bismark, and of course The Dambusters and The Battle of Britain.

I love the Mossie flying sequences from 633 Squadron and Mosquito Squadron, but IMPO the storylines are tripe, and Pearl Harbor is even worse.

Das Boot is also there, Sounds great on a multi channel home cinema system, as you can hear everything, for example after the call to dive and you can hear the water dripping on the hot diesels , fizzing away on the left and right rear speakers. that realistic, you can almost feel what it's like to be depth charged. Scary.

Funny no one has mentioned "the Enemy Below"

THis is a very short (93 minutes) but a very clever film with very little bloodshed at all and it leaves one with a good feeling but a lot of tension

It was on TV a few days ago and I am sure it will be back. Worth watching as the tension really builds.

Robert Mitchum and Curt Jurgens star in it. and believe it or not it leaves one feeling quite good. It dates from 1953

I cant come up with only 3.

battle of britain, dambusters, tora, original dunkirk, memphis belle (even though some of it is a little weak), ice cold in alex..

Also, sink the bismark and in which we serve should get a mention. Band of brothers/the pacific series are excellent as well.

As a side note, track down your local cex shop (careful when you say that out loud) and have a sift through their used dvd section. You can get dvd movies for around 50p and i struck gold with the complete digitally remastered 'the world at war' series for a tenner which i thought was rather good