The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread

Nigel R

Thanks for the clarifications Pete and Ron, I pity those club secretaries and other association members who have all the admin to sort out. I would still recommend that those who have not read the CAA on-line guide lines for the identities test should do so to see how easy the test is. If we were all to do the test then the admin levels would be vastly reduced.

Posted by Ron Gray on 10/11/2019 11:57:34:

@Mike - the CAA guidelines for displaying your operator ID do say to fix it in such a way that it can be easily removed as it will need replacing each year, which may be a bit better than trying to alter it each year?

That's not quite right Ron. It says that it may change. I would expect the existing number to be retained in a similar way you your car registration number is retained when you renew your car tax.

Here's the actual wording:

You should use a removable label as your operator ID may change when you renew. You’ll need to remove your label if you’re no longer responsible for the drone or model aircraft.

Always use your operator ID, not your flyer ID.

Posted by Martin Harris on 10/11/2019 13:47:42:

This poses an interesting possible defence to a charge of failing to display your registration - if the label must be removable, what happens if it "must have come off during the flight somewhere - honest Guv"?

And, if before flight, but I don't intend to actually fly it orficer, I swear on my grannies life.

You boys are not taking this issue seriously, I can see that sorting out Brexit will take less time ! I am not sure why you A-certificate holders do not need to take the CAA test. In future I think you should all take the test and if you were to fail it you should hand your A-certificates back! If you were all to take the test, the administration task could be sorted out in a week and you could all start to daub your Operator ID's on the sides of your planes prior to the election and Christmas!.

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 10/11/2019 17:00:53:

You boys are not taking this issue seriously, I can see that sorting out Brexit will take less time ! I am not sure why you A-certificate holders do not need to take the CAA test. In future I think you should all take the test and if you were to fail it you should hand your A-certificates back! If you were all to take the test, the administration task could be sorted out in a week and you could all start to daub your Operator ID's on the sides of your planes prior to the election and Christmas!.

With low tack stickers.

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 10/11/2019 17:00:53:

If you were all to take the test, the administration task could be sorted out in a week and you could all start to daub your Operator ID's on the sides of your planes prior to the election and Christmas!.

No need to take any test to get an operator's registration - they just want 9 shiny coins of the realm and anyone providing them along with their details is then considered capable of building/assembling,maintaining and authorising a pilot to fly their model.

According to the CAA online test. You have to take the test to get your numbers. Are you saying that if you are a member of BMFA and add the £9 to your subscription they, BMFA, will do the necessary, supply your details to the CAA , and the CAA will send you the numbers to allow you to fly???.sarcastic 2.

When will we get a difinetive statement from BMFA in simple language that all of us can understand, after all that why we join isn't it?. Being a bear of little brain help.

Posted by Wilco Wingco on 10/11/2019 18:56:01:

According to the CAA online test. You have to take the test to get your numbers. Are you saying that if you are a member of BMFA and add the £9 to your subscription they, BMFA, will do the necessary, supply your details to the CAA , and the CAA will send you the numbers to allow you to fly???.sarcastic 2.

When will we get a difinetive statement from BMFA in simple language that all of us can understand, after all that why we join isn't it?. Being a bear of little brain help.

Wilco, you may not be aware that there is a News page on the BMFA website to which you can subscribe - click here - and get the information as it emerges from the discussions the BMFA is having with the CAA. There are several News posts concerning this topic on the page to which I have pointed you. If you have included your email in your membership details you will also get emailed directly by the BMFA. Hope that helps.

Posted by Wilco Wingco on 10/11/2019 19:11:20:

Thanks yes it does as far as registration, BMFA will do it all for us. But do we still have to do the online test to get the numbers? or is my ancient brain getting confused.

When the BMFA upload the data to the CAA the CAA will e mail you the number and if you have and A,B or C will e mail you your pilot number.

From an IT perspective this should just happen as the upload will populate the system in the same way as someone who fills in the form so the response should be immediate.

Posted by Steve J on 10/11/2019 15:15:11:
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 10/11/2019 14:28:03:

Report to a police station within 7 days to show it's fixed?

There are provisions for providing information or documentation within seven days in the bill that failed due to the general election and presumably will be back in the new year.

Ye Gods, and I thought I was making a humerous/frivolous comment!

Posted by Philip Lewis 3 on 10/11/2019 19:43:40:
When the BMFA upload the data to the CAA the CAA will e mail you the number and if you have and A,B or C will e mail you your pilot number.

From an IT perspective this should just happen as the upload will populate the system in the same way as someone who fills in the form so the response should be immediate.

Not quite, if you only get a flyer ID if you take the CAA test, if you are using the exemptions you do not need one. Basically the flyer ID is only a confirmation you have passed the CAA test.

Posted by Philip Lewis 3 on 10/11/2019 19:43:40:
Posted by Wilco Wingco on 10/11/2019 19:11:20:

Thanks yes it does as far as registration, BMFA will do it all for us. But do we still have to do the online test to get the numbers? or is my ancient brain getting confused.

Whoa!

Where have you got the information that the CAA will email you your pilot number?

If this is true, it puts the issue of the competency exemption running out in June 2020 to bed.

edit - I see that Andy Symons picked up on the same point and dismissed it. Shame because issuing a Flyer ID would make so much sense.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 10/11/2019 20:31:55

This is all clear as mud to me i think that i have got the jist of it all on the BMFA site then reading this puts a spanner in the works. I have been flying for over 15yrs and have A and B certs but it seems that they are going to be worthless. All this mess is it really worth it i ask myself mayb maybe not, so not sure wether i will continue my fav hobby, selling up is looking likely atm.

Totaly confused.