The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread

Nigel R

Why speculate on matters under active negotiation? We've already been told that buddy boxing and instruction under close control are being discussed - until we hear that such arrangements can't be incorporated there's little point speculating whether little Johnny [or Jemima] would need to sit a test before being given a taster on a casual basis.

Posted by cymaz on 10/11/2019 22:04:51:
Posted by will -0 on 10/11/2019 22:00:31:

OK,thanks

is this regardless of age? Is my 3 yo supposed to pass the test before I can let her waggle the sticks on a buddy lead?

It seems they do....however daft that may seem, as you have a 3 yr olddisgust

It would certainly be interesting to see them attempt to prosecute an under 18 under these new requirements. Going after a 4 year who represented the "Drone menace" would probably still be popular with Daily Fail readers though... teeth 2

Posted by Steve J on 10/11/2019 21:46:05:
Posted by Don Fry on 10/11/2019 21:10:36:

I got 19 correct. I disagreed with the CAA on the 20th, on a safety issue.

Which question did you disagree with the CAA on?

Something about flying a drone, you have positioned it in the sun, and can't see it. Do you land it out, or fly it towards you. The answer is fly it towards you steadily until you can see it. Nothing about move it laterally out of the sun, or descend, ascend out of the sun.

I wonder how you can move it towards yourself if you can't see it?

I said land. You are flying over safe ground, put it down. It did say drone, not model aircraft.

But I might have misread the question. I think I was doing it at 8 questions a minute.

And I still have BFMA Certication, if anyone wonders how I can justify flippancy with what the government regard as a safety issue.

Apologies if this question has already been answered but what is the situation with people who do not have any access to emails or computers?

Several of our members do not use computers or have email addresses.

As i understand it, in order to register\test everyone needs an email address.

Can this be clarified please?

Thanks

Edited By Chris Berry on 11/11/2019 08:24:54

Posted by Chris Berry on 11/11/2019 08:13:05:

Apologies if this question has already been answered but what is the situation with people who do not have any access to emails or computers?

Thanks

I believe you can request a written version from the CAA.

This was one of the points I made in my written response to the consultation.

--

Pete

Posted by Peter Christy on 11/11/2019 08:49:17:

Thanks

--

Pete

Lack of email addresses is a problem via the CAA system, they are really not geared up to cope with the idea that people may not have an email address as their system requires a unique email address to register.

However the BMFA online test will eb available offline and it will also be possible to register via the BMFA for those that don't have an email address.

Some further in depth info will be going out to clubs in the next day or so.

Advice at the moment is to advice your members to be patient and not rush in to anything.

Posted by Don Fry on 11/11/2019 07:26:57:

Something about flying a drone, you have positioned it in the sun, and can't see it. Do you land it out, or fly it towards you. The answer is fly it towards you steadily until you can see it. Nothing about move it laterally out of the sun, or descend, ascend out of the sun.

I wonder how you can move it towards yourself if you can't see it?

I said land. You are flying over safe ground, put it down. It did say drone, not model aircraft.

But I might have misread the question. I think I was doing it at 8 questions a minute.

And I still have BFMA Certication, if anyone wonders how I can justify flippancy with what the government regard as a safety issue.

I thought the question was along the lines of finding yourself in the situation where visibility was becoming difficult because of failing light, not where you can't see it. In which case I would expect to try to fly back towards yourself as if you continue until you really can't see it, you can't be sure it's safe to land.

I'm sure much of the content could be put under scrutiny, but I see it aimed primarily at ensuring flyers are aware of the regulations regarding the separation between models and the public/other aviators, and for those with camera equipped models, privacy laws with a bit of elementary general safety thrown in.

I wonder if everyone gets the same test or a randomised selection from a pool of questions?

Posted by Don Fry on 11/11/2019 07:26:57:

If it disappears in the sun, keep it where you can't see it (in the sun) and fly it directly towards you until it hits you in the face.

The average drone kind of flies itself, so moving it closer until you can see it clearly is probably an acceptable path to recovering safe flight.

I also thought 'land' was another acceptable, but I'm not the CAA, I'm thinking like a fixed winger, and it occurs to me there is the possibility our hapless hypothetical drone pilot may have registered a flight over/near a crowd / house / mineshaft / mountain rescue situation, or some other contrived scenario.

Cheers Will O. A strategy with good logic. Anyway I think we are agreed, the CAA test is poorly written, published without much quality control, and of limited use. I suppose it does teach us plank fliers a bit about drones. But knowing how to spot an expensive handbag as acquired by beloved would be of more use.

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 11/11/2019 09:11:17:
Posted by Peter Christy on 11/11/2019 08:49:17:

Thanks

--

Pete

Lack of email addresses is a problem via the CAA system, they are really not geared up to cope with the idea that people may not have an email address as their system requires a unique email address to register.

However the BMFA online test will eb available offline and it will also be possible to register via the BMFA for those that don't have an email address.

Some further in depth info will be going out to clubs in the next day or so.

Advice at the moment is to advice your members to be patient and not rush in to anything.

Thanks Andy.