The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread

Nigel R

Lets face it, this registration scheme is a vanity project, I'm stumped as to what good it will do for aeromodelling - we are where we are though, have to cough up and lump it for the time being. It was winding me up but I can't give a flying fig now, it's so absurd. Keep calm and keep flying.

Edited By Cuban8 on 21/11/2019 17:05:55

Posted by Cuban8 on 21/11/2019 17:02:14:

Lets face it, this registration scheme is a vanity project, I'm stumped as to what good it will do for aeromodelling - we are where we are though, have to cough up and lump it for the time being. It was winding me up but I can't give a flying fig now, it's so absurd. Keep calm and keep flying.

Edited By Cuban8 on 21/11/2019 17:05:55

Quite!

yes

--

Pete

Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 21/11/2019 16:48:38:

I think what I'm really saying is that you didn't know the rules Nigel. Perhaps some good may yet come out of this scheme...

Yes indeed. Although as I have never flown FPV and no desire to, it is not surprising that I did not know the specific legislation relating to them.

It’s the the FPV pilots in the country that need to follow the rules.

This all started because I expressed that the biggest impact would be on them, and I stand by that. I now know that legislation already existed, but clearly every FPV pilot I have seen must have been unaware them too - so now that they are aware, their flying style will have to be very different.

I do not fly, and have never flown FPV.

I am going to register as a pilot and as an operator.

Cheers,

Nigel

Posted by Steve J on 21/11/2019 17:00:10:

Posted by Martin_K on 21/11/2019 16:57:39:

As has been said umpteen times in these threads, pilots with a Flyer ID will no longer be able to claim ignorance of the law.

Whereas people with a twenty year old BMFA 'A' will .

My A cert will be 40 years old comes April 2020surprisesmileysmiley

Posted by john stones 1 on 21/11/2019 18:01:06:

I see it differently, where was it ever stated it's for the good of aeromodelling ?

We got caught up in an evolving world, thanks to those fighting our corner, we still have a future. That's it.

Calm yourselves, go enjoy your hobby.

To those who don't want to accept the reality, please yourselves.

If a law doesn't do any good or is expected by its target audience to not be any good - whichever way it's dressed up and sold, it's not a good law. If accepting reality really means accepting as completely right, every time, anything that anyone - governments, employers, club committees or anyone else for that matter as being beyond critique, then we're really in big trouble. Those that are happy with this arrangement, please yourselves.............. I fear that our hobby's future is far from secure and that all of us need to be monitoring future developments with caution.

As I said before I don't allow myself to be wound up by beaurocracy or those that seem to luxuriate in it - try contacting your local council for more or less anything to see this in all it's splendour. The saga of the blocked drain outside my house would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic - anyway, not going there. Enough!laugh

Edited By Cuban8 on 22/11/2019 10:50:12

Posted by Cuban8 on 22/11/2019 10:47:33:

If accepting reality really means accepting as completely right, every time, anything that anyone - governments, employers, club committees or anyone else for that matter as being beyond critique, then we're really in big trouble. Those that are happy with this arrangement, please yourselves..............

There's a massive difference between just rolling over and with accepting that the due process of democracy has been followed. Ignoring the resulting law because you simply disagree with it is the thin edge of anarchy.

While I intend to comply with the law as it stands, it does not mean that I agree or see any justification in it.

I shall continue to support attempts to modify the legislation wherever possible.

Hi, why don't every one leave this alone & see what the future brings, I have got my two numbers, so I can fly when the weather allows, I know it is good to talk but this is doing no good for any one.

I have paid my £9 to the CAA so all I have to do now is pay the BMFA subs again for 2020 & I am good to go.laugh.

I have the use of a private air strip laugh. how lucky is that, do not need a club as there is not one near enough to join.

Surely just do as we are asked & get on with it, I do agree the BMFA are doing a wonderful job so let them do it for all of us. The plane in my picture was used in the war & still has a bullet hole in the fuse. it still uses the same strip as we do, just the two of us, country members, we make our own rules as well as the BMFA & CAA ones.

All the best . Mike.

No argument that we shouldn't make all efforts to get badly constructed or hastily introduced legislation modified or repealed but I get the feeling that there are a few people who would use the argument in order to evade their legal responsibilities - which, by the way, dilutes the argument that we are law abiding and responsible flyers, capable of being allowed concessions.

Posted by john stones 1 on 21/11/2019 18:01:06:

I see it differently, where was it ever stated it's for the good of aeromodelling ?

We got caught up in an evolving world, thanks to those fighting our corner, we still have a future. That's it.

Calm yourselves, go enjoy your hobby.

To those who don't want to accept the reality, please yourselves.

If a law doesn't do any good or is expected by its target audience to not be any good - whichever way it's dressed up and sold, it's not a good law. If accepting reality really means accepting as completely right, every time, anything that anyone - governments, employers, club committees or anyone else for that matter as being beyond critique, then we're really in big trouble. Those that are happy with this arrangement, please yourselves.............. I fear that our hobby's future is far from secure and that all of us need to be monitoring future developments with caution.

As I said before I don't allow myself to be wound up by beaurocracy or those that seem to luxuriate in it - try contacting your local council for more or less anything to see this in all it's splendour. The saga of the blocked drain outside my house would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic - anyway, not going there. Enough!laugh

Rubbish me all you like, I'm O.K with it, you're leaving others and the BMFA alone whilst you do it. wink

My Council are great people always quick to respond. yes

Edited By john stones 1 on 22/11/2019 13:37:12

Here, here.

Posted by Martin Harris on 22/11/2019 11:11:46

There's a massive difference between just rolling over and with accepting that the due process of democracy has been followed. Ignoring the resulting law because you simply disagree with it is the thin edge of anarchy.

Democracy? I don't remember being given any choice on this new law?

................If accepting reality really means accepting as completely right, every time, anything that anyone - governments, employers, club committees or anyone else for that matter as being beyond critique, then we're really in big trouble. ....................

That seems to be a very strange way of looking at "accepting reality".

Dick

Posted by Jason-I on 22/11/2019 14:06:39:
Posted by Martin Harris on 22/11/2019 11:11:46

Democracy? I don't remember being given any choice on this new law?

That's rather a spurious comment - when were you given any direct say on any law or matter other than that subject that cannot be mentioned - and didn't that make everyone happy?

There's a general election being run at this very moment. It's a golden opportunity for your input to the democratic process...

Edited By Martin Harris on 22/11/2019 14:19:58

But it is wanted! Just not by model flyers.

I have noted the CAA said that "no funding was available to pay for the running of the registration scheme". Bearing in mind that is around £1M annually, I would be asking my MP if they would be prepared to support government funding for the life of the scheme for non-commercial operators such as us....

It's peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

This thread is like a masterclass in splitting hairs!

Anyway, I've registered, it was dead easy (basically an open book test), because I have a PFCO and need to have this in my ops manual. I don't like it, I resent the £9, I resent that I have to do it because I've already sat written and flight exams.

Quibble all you like about "the reality", or boast about how you are now a freedom fighter and defending our civil liberties in the face of airspace monetisation, it's happened and we all have to live with it and make the best of the situation.

Steve, as an ex practitioner of enforcing law, and having been known to split hairs, I would say to my boss,having read the CAA instructions.

What do you reckon the chances are that I meet some clever clogs, who before flight says he has not attached his removable label, and after flight, it has fallen off. How the hell do you propose I enforce that. Thumb screws?