The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread

Nigel R

Posted by Ron Gray on 25/11/2019 13:12:09:

Whilst you’re on Andy, I’ve asked this question before and also on the BARCS forum, if you complete the BMFA RCC what do you get to show that you’ve passed and that it’s valid (like the CAA flyer ID / 3 year cert)?

You get the certificate and it also shows on your membership documents. 

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 25/11/2019 13:20:15

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 25/11/2019 13:30:20

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 25/11/2019 13:19:23:
Posted by Ron Gray on 25/11/2019 13:12:09:

Whilst you’re on Andy, I’ve asked this question before and also on the BARCS forum, if you complete the BMFA RCC what do you get to show that you’ve passed and that it’s valid (like the CAA flyer ID / 3 year cert)?

You get the certificate and it also shows on your membership documents

Many thanks Andy, got there in the end, the last piece of the jigsaw! For proof of competency you either have the CAA flyer ID/cert or your BMFA docs (for those in the BMFA that is!).

Posted by Dickw on 25/11/2019 15:40:31:

Frank

The latest statement on the BMFA website covers what you are asking.

The BMFA will not be providing a Flyer ID because members with a BMFA certificate don't need one as they have an exemption. So you only need an Operator ID from the BMFA.

Dick

Dick, brilliant they must have read my mind. We have some family/junior members that fly but don't have any of their own planes, so I needed to advise them what to do.

I was very tempted to copy the whole text to here as it covers so much of the speculation and misinformation on various threads and sources but I think the most important bit to highlight here is:

We need the support of our members to make this work. If insufficient numbers utilise the concessions we have secured, then they are perhaps less likely to be available to us in the longer-term solutions we agree with the CAA from June 2020 onwards.

Perhaps members of those clubs who are moving away from using the BMFA registration facility could bring this request to the attention of their committees as a matter of urgency?

Edited By Martin Harris on 25/11/2019 16:39:34

Posted by Ron Gray on 25/11/2019 17:52:05:

Just wondering if there are any clubs who have / are proposing to enforce the DRES on all models, even those sub 250g?

Not sure why anyone would want to enforce on models under 250??

We don't check members have a valid eyesight test or are suffering from an illness that may hinder their ability to fly safely. Why would we enforce/police dres?

Question.

If I register as an Operator through the BMFA will I get my Operator ID immediately, or will it be after Jan 31st when they submit information to the CAA.

I’m guessing the latter.

If so then if I want an Operator ID now then I should register directly with the CAA but if I am prepared to wait then I may as well hold off paying anything to the BMFA (including membership renewal) until the new year.

Cheers,

Nigel

Posted by Nigel Heather on 26/11/2019 11:36:03:.........

If so then if I want an Operator ID now then I should register directly with the CAA but if I am prepared to wait then I may as well hold off paying anything to the BMFA (including membership renewal) until the new year.

Nigel

Just make sure you rejoin the BMFA before 31st Jan otherwise you will miss the bulk data transfer to the CAA and not get your operator number in Feb - and presumably can't fly after 31st Dec as you won't have an exemption until you renew your BMFA membership.

Dick

Hi Chris, well said, I don't know what all of the fuss is about do as you would be done by. do as they want

and carry on enjoying your hobby, that's what I am going to do, the ones I feel sorry for are the young ones

just coming into the hobby, to much of this and it could put a lot off, so then good bye to a wonderful hobby.

Mike.

A question about the competency test.

Is the CAA one and the BMFA one different. I would have guessed not but I was reading the quick start guide on the BMFA site

https://rcc.bmfa.uk/quick-start-guide-to-model-flying-operation-of-unmanned-aircraft

and I noticed this

The legal height limit for all unmanned aircraft is 400ft (120m) above the terrain, but BMFA members have permission to operate their aircraft (other than multi-rotors) which weigh less than 7Kg higher than 400ft.

I didn’t realise that we would be allowed to fly higher than 400 ft - to be honest I doubt it would affect me.

But I assuming that you won’t see anything like that in the test. It will be more like “what is the maximum height you can fly” and the answer will be 400 feet above the ground.

I also notice that in entering the BMFA test you are asked whether your aircraft has a camera - does this mean that the test questions are tailored to what you fly.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited By Nigel Heather on 26/11/2019 18:10:07

BMFA test has half the questions and you can opt to take a normal or camera equipped test - the logic escapes me as if you take both, the standard test pass is deleted from your BMFA record.

As has already been stated in this thread, the BMFA would prefer you to take their test as it adds weight to the credibility of the organisation as an effective authority.

Hay Ho. . hear we go again why dos not every one do as they are asked and take the tests get the required

numbers put them onto the planes which they are going to fly and forget about the CAA, BMFA, and let them sort it out, no one else can, it is so strait forward what is there to complain about.

There is so much rubbish being banded about it is no wonder a lot of people do not know what is going on.

Wait and see what the two powers come up with then do what ever it takes to carry on with this lovely hobby,

I do not think it will have any major effect on the big shows. as the pilots at these are as competent as they can be.

I am now going to sign off and get ready for XMAS.

MERRY XMAS every one and A HAPPY NEW YEAR. All the best for a better year for flying. MIKE.

Michael, I'm not sure from your post exactly what you're advocting but it seems very simple to me for those who are BMFA members.

Only if you don't have an A or B, log on to the BMFA RCC page and spend 5 - 10 minutes completing the simple test.  Do not use the CAA version.

Renew your BMFA membership before the end of December [end of January if you aren't planning to fly in January for some unknown reason], either through your club or individually and pay the £9.

Download the exemptions and your BMFA certificate to your smartphone or print them out and pop them into your transmitter case.

Wait for the CAA to advise you of your number in early February and annote it onto your models before the 23rd.

Keep flying as normal.

Edited By Martin Harris on 26/11/2019 20:47:08