The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread

Nigel R

Posted by Kevin 216 on 30/11/2019 10:21:18:

Clubs insisting members renew their BMFA membership themselves via the GO site may well lose members.

Agree. A very risky strategy IMHO. I fear that many clubs will lose a high proportion of their 'armchair flyers' as well - whichever way they want members to rejoin.

Edited By Cuban8 on 30/11/2019 10:49:58

We didn't insist on it at our AGMs, just recommended it. Anyone who wanted to do it the old fashioned way was welcome to, but the look on the membership secs face when he realised he was going to have to get approval from anyone wanting to do it that way was enough to dissuade the small minority who were unsure.

In any event, they all know who to call for help with any problems, and although its early days, so far none have needed it.

As I say, its more fear of the unknown than any inability. Once enough confidence has been plucked up to try it, they wonder what all the fuss was about!

And again, anyone capable of setting up a modern radio should have no problems at all.

--

Pete

John, that's not correct, club members can pay the BMFA direct if they wish but all members have to be BMFA members for the club to be affiliated, but affiliation is only open to clubs with 5 or more members, as outlined in the handbook

"Open to clubs and model flying groups consisting of not less than five persons. All current club members who fly and/or who are involved in any organising function within the club whatsoever must be registered with the BMFA as fully paid up individual members and at least one of them must be a senior member."

Frank that appears to be contradicted in the Affiliation Partnership 2018 Document. Perhaps Andy can clarify?

WHAT DOES A CLUB HAVE TO DO TO AFFILIATE?

page9image566573008

To accord with the philosophy of the partnership and to ensure clubs have the requisite insurance cover, all affiliated clubs are required to have 100% BMFA (or SAA) membership. Social members do not have to be included in club membership for the process of affiliation provided they do not fly and do not take an active part in the organisation of the club.

All a club then has to do is complete the necessary paperwork, naming a minimum of 5 club members whose BMFA subscriptions are paid through the affiliating club. There are no additional costs for affiliation and no hidden clauses. Special arrangements can be made to permit clubs to make the transition as easy as possible in the first year of affiliation.

Posted by Nigel Heather on 30/11/2019 08:18:41:
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 30/11/2019 07:48:26:

I have done a number of talks just recentl at clubs and explained the background to it all, how we got to where we are and what the very simple processes are. Easily explained and everyone has understood whats what.

The process on the portal is a complete doddle too.

Even the informed consent is no biggie, just ensure members are aware of the CAA privacy policy, its being reproduced in the magazine which goes to print on Monday too.

A few mountains being made out of molehills I think.

It is easy to say things are a doddle if you understand them. I’m sure I could tell you things about my job and education that I think are a doddle but you would struggle to grasp, and I’m sure you can do the same.

My wife is a maths teacher and she is often telling me stories about some classes and students that simply can’t grasp principles that we would all think are obvious.

The problem I saw was a bunch a people over the age of 65, who don’t have a computer or have barely used one being told to create an account on the BMFA website, login to the portal, do an online test and renew their BMFA membership. Seriously, you may have been talking a different language to some of these guys.

It is easy for us who understand it and say “it’s easy, I don’t see what the problem is” but to a degree it shows that we can’t emphasise with those who just see something alien and incomprehensible.

Personally it frustrates me that I have to get my chequebook out to pay the subs, but I appreciate that is what the club and most of its members are familiar and comfortable with. True story, when writing the cheque, I looked at the last entry in the stub and it was my club membership last year. Basically, my bank has to go to the expense to provide me with a cheque book solely for the purpose of paying my club fees once a year.

Cheers,

Nigel

I understand your points Nigel, the problem is too many people saying things are complicated when they really arent. People start to believe it.

Posted by Michael Adams 3 on 30/11/2019 19:02:42:

Sorry, or am I wrong.

Mike.

Yes you are wrong. I used to be Membership Secretary for a moderately sized club - 80-120 members, BMFA affiliated. Thought the sticker scheme made the renewals reasonably straightforward there was still a fair bit of work to do and quite time consuming.

y subsequent experience, as a Country Member using the Membership portal has been that it is very simple to use and well within the capabilites of anyone who could log onto this website to read this thread.. I presume that there is some provision made for the minority of members who don;t have an email address.

Personally I rather like the idea of the Membership Portal as it is inline with the basic premise that the pilot is responsible for every flight, for his/her own models and for their conduct in the hobby. That makes perfect sense as far as I can see.

Going to do the BMFA competency test later today. Quick question for anyone that has done it ....

”Are the question based on the vanilla CAA regulations, or the modified ones to include BMFA exemptions”

For example “How high can you fly a 6.5kg fixed wing powered aircraft”

CAA - 400 feet or 120 metres above terrain

BMFA - you can fly above 400 feet but there is no maximum height specified

I suspect it will be obvious from the answer options but thought it useful to ask first.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited By Nigel Heather on 01/12/2019 09:06:59

Edited By Nigel Heather on 01/12/2019 09:25:46

It is interesting to see how different clubs are taking this on board.

I am in two clubs, with wildly differing approaches...

Club 1 insists that the duty man must check any members without an A for proof of competency before they fly. Mind you, this basically means that all club ID will have to be checked on the field to see who has an A, and nobody is allowed to fly solo without an A anyway. Thus: No numbers, no fly. This is the club that will only let you fly if your TX/RX are the same brand. They sure do love some pettifogging faffing around in that club.

Club 2 is working on the basis that it is the individual flyers responsibility (club sec spoke to BMFA re this, so it's gold), the club has is not there to police on behalf of the CAA, and that if you can take-off, fly a circuit and land without being obviously dangerous go and fly.

Guess which field I go to more often...

Edited By Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 01/12/2019 09:53:46

Posted by Richard Acland on 30/11/2019 17:28:31:

It would appear that club membership renewal is now done via the club portal. I have always in the past renewed club membership using the stick on label method. it would appear that this method will no longer be available. I have always found the old method pretty quick and foolproof. If it aint broke why fix it.

I used the stickers method for years. Yes, it worked OK but with over a hundred members to deal with the Portal is so much easier, flexible and convenient. I loathe change for the sake of it as I've said in the past, but I'm not sorry to see the end of the paper based BMFA renewals and other admin stuff.

My club's AGM tomorrow.................It'll either be chaos, or deserted..........can't be sure which at the moment.wink

LHF..........Pettifogging, what a great word, must remember to use it more often.laugh

Edited By Cuban8 on 01/12/2019 10:18:50

too late now but I wouldn't be broadcasting that the on line test is very easy etc,maybe when the powers to be have a look at some feedback they will be thinking "maybe" we need to change the format/toughen it up...roll on this time next year when all of this is forgot about (probably)…

ken anderson...ne..1..... forgot dept.

Posted by ken anderson. on 01/12/2019 10:35:28:

too late now but I wouldn't be broadcasting that the on line test is very easy etc,maybe when the powers to be have a look at some feedback they will be thinking "maybe" we need to change the format/toughen it up...roll on this time next year when all of this is forgot about (probably)…

ken anderson...ne..1..... forgot dept.

I don't think so.

It is deliberately easy because it's deliberately common sense based. If you have common sense and a basic understanding of the regulations, you WILL pass. That's all they are interested in.

Posted by Cuban8 on 01/12/2019 10:11:48:
Posted by Richard Acland on 30/11/2019 17:28:31:

It would appear that club membership renewal is now done via the club portal. I have always in the past renewed club membership using the stick on label method. it would appear that this method will no longer be available. I have always found the old method pretty quick and foolproof. If it aint broke why fix it.

I used the stickers method for years. Yes, it worked OK but with over a hundred members to deal with the Portal is so much easier, flexible and convenient. I loathe change for the sake of it as I've said in the past, but I'm not sorry to see the end of the paper based BMFA renewals and other admin stuff.

My club's AGM tomorrow.................It'll either be chaos, or deserted..........can't be sure which at the moment.wink

How do we get our insurance certificates and membership cards. I hope that they do not expect me to use my paper and ink to print off everyones paperwork. If it is up to each individual how does it work for our three members that do not have a computer.

LHF..........Pettifogging, what a great word, must remember to use it more often.laugh

Edited By Cuban8 on 01/12/2019 10:18:50