The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread

Nigel R

I'm really confused! Do we know if the upcoming CAP 1789 and EASA drone rules will impact on the requirements of registration? Some of the questions in the BMFA test and the CAA website rules seem to contradict 1789. e.g. EASA suggests < 250g legacy models can be flown pretty much anywhere, just not over crowds as part of the A1 criteria.

e.g. https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone-code says for <250g you don't have to register but you still have to follow the rules which means you can't fly closer than 50m to people (30m) for landing.

Such a drone, however, would be A1 which means you can fly over people but not crowds.

So which one is it? >50m until EASA comes in and then A1?

It would help if the CAA produced an app were you could plug in the details e.g. whether you're registered, weight of model, FPV or not, location etc and it says whether you can fly or not! I've read as much of the specifications as I can and I'm completely lost. Not overly tempted to ignore it and just go fly and cross my fingers but really this is drowning the sport in bureaucracy.

Why didn't they just have a "flying a drone without due care and attention" or "dangerous drone flying" law and be done with it- allow judges to decide what is / isn't allowed! Or have a non-specific "health and safety" set of regs which mean you have to assess whether it's okay to fly. Some of the specs seem very specific and yet at the same time vague (e.g. what is a "recreational area" or a "congested area".

I have only recently returned from a 2 month vacation in the States ,so forgive me for not trawling back through all the issues , regarding this topic , as my question may already have been answered .

I understand the requirement not to fly above 400 ft. but having no telemetry , how will I know if my 60 inch span trainer is at , under or over 400 ft ?

I've tried guessing how many "houses" high it is , but to no avail .Short of doing some trigonometry and holding a rule at arms length when flying to measure the wingspan , I have come to a dead end ! !

What do others do and how accurate are the results ? Or is it a case of if I can't see it , it must be over 400 ft. ! !

Keith

Your 60" trainer will be more than 3 mistakes high at 400' but if you're a BMFA or equivalent member you are exempt from this limit.

If you want to know, ask a clubmate with an altimeter equipped model of a similar size to demonstrate 400' or perhaps someone would temporarily install a telemetry set-up in your model?

Posted by Steve J on 10/12/2019 14:16:04:

Install Google Earth on your computer. Look out of your window and pick a few things around 5ft that you think are 100m and 200m away. Check the distances with Google Earth. After a couple of iterations you will have a feel for what 5ft looks like.

Or you could just place the model on the ground, take 120 strides away from it and see how big it looks.....

(120 strides ~ 120m ~ 400ft)

Edited By Jason-I on 10/12/2019 15:08:14

Re carrying the exemption certificates. I think we will do it the easy way at my club and laminate a copy and put it on our clubhouse notice board plus we have encouraged most members to buy the new BMFA plastic card so it should be no problem if we are checked.

Edited By Tim Flyer on 10/12/2019 15:52:20

Posted by Tim Flyer on 10/12/2019 15:51:43:

Re carrying the exemption certificates. I think we will do it the easy way at my club and laminate a copy and put it on our clubhouse notice board plus we have encouraged most members to buy the new BMFA plastic card so it should be no problem if we are checked.

Edited By Tim Flyer on 10/12/2019 15:52:20

I have put the copies that came in the magazine in my glove box.

Just one matter regarding junior members . We have a few juniors soon to be joining our club . I realise juniors (<18s) cannot register with CAA and their parent/flying instructor  is supposed to . For juniors with non flying parents I guess as they will initially be using buddy boxes with registered club members as instructors they do not need to take competency test . However once flying solo do they need to have their guardian ( even if a non flyer register) . I would appreciate any clarification.

Edited By Tim Flyer on 11/12/2019 14:30:32

Yes, the legal Operator of that aircraft has to register it and ensure the Operator number is displayed on it when in use. That Operator could be a parent/guardian, or it could be a fellow club member if they are prepared to take the role of the legal Operator on behalf of the Junior until they are adults.

Edited By MattyB on 11/12/2019 14:54:54

Before flying solo they need to take a competency test.

Any model they fly needs to have an "operator number" on it which will be the number of a registered person - either parent / guardian or some willing person in the club. I can see nothing about the operator having to be a "flyer".

Dick

Matty beat me, but at least we agree!

Edited By Dickw on 11/12/2019 14:56:04