No engineer, however if say he pivot point in the fus was vertical and the both arms are the same length, but the top arm had a slight dogleg into the fus. Then when the airbrake was opened/rotated the top arm would travel further causing a slight droop? only a thought.idea

Missed the edit window crying

Na sorry the above suggestion would't work.

What about the pivot base being angled in away from the skin with the brake mounted at slight twisted angle so it sat flush with the fuz when shut,  but would pivot out and down when extended?

Edited By Ace on 25/10/2019 13:43:46

Mark Frankel's video, follow along has he build's a speed brake for a F4D Skyray for scale competition!

He will be showing many tips and tricks and hopefully help me tackle this RC projects like speed brakes.

His personal build blog is in this link :

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 30/10/2019 12:04:12

• 4 weeks later...

I think I am going to have a go at these. I figure that because it is a fibreglass fuselage, the doors will be a lot stronger and easier to craft.

I have watched the RC Geek video. What I can't quite work out is how the bell crank to operate the door opening mechanism should be designed.

This is a Kettle project methinks. Anyone any idea?

My thoughts:-

1. Use a bellcrank with three rods - 1 to servo, 2 to the middle of each door opening outwards. It would be a 3 point crank with the rods not overlapping and fouling each other.
  2. 2 bellcranks one for each door and 2 rods, 1 to each bellcrank.
  3. The RC Geek system and that shown shows a pneumatic valve which obviously we won't be bothering with?

Have done a rough sketch

1575288629070-1176464883.jpg

• 1 year later...

As an aside from the tech stuff, and included for historical accuracy, the colours of the airbrake bay have been painted differently on the various aircraft. For those amongst us who are troubled by such things this matters ! From my research the Fury bay initially was a standard buff colour but became red on the FJ3M.  Thanks to Steve Ginter for confirmation.

IMG_4836 a.jpg

• Like 1