Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog

Well, that makes two of us at least, Dirk. wink

... ooh sjeesh... "panel lines"... ? ... Do you want me to have some panel lines on my Sabre?

So far, I only had a hesitating try by scoring some alu foil on a small Depron 'test' piece of wing.

test_depon_finishing.jpg

I guess you will have to explain me in due time then.

Did you have a start on your Sabre already?

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Panel Lines Control

Hi Dirk et all,

Looking forward to reading your build thread soon then... and 'pinch' as much tricks as possible. angel

As Phil stated there are now more than 70 plan/kits distributed and I'm wondering why there are not more build blogs started. Only a (large) handful so far and we're already in the 5th day after the start of it... frown

Come on, Gentlemen... start your scalpels...

Cheers

Chris

Hi to all,

After a looong period of heavy pondering, I finally made up my mind regarding my build example.

As the ‘unguided’ rockets software protocol of the F-86D was considered ‘Classified’ and could not be exported, NA decided in removing the belly rocket ‘pack’, replacing it with four 20mm M24A1 cannons and installing the APG-37 radar system. These modifications resulted finally in a quite effective, fast dog fighter… and became the F-86K ‘sold’ to the NATO friends.

sabre dog dutch q-259_01_861.jpg

The Royal Netherlands Air Force (Koninklijke Luchtmacht) acquired a total of 63 - 57 U.S.-built and 6 Fiat-built - NATO type F-86K Sabres in 1955 & 1956. They were assigned to three squadrons, the Sq.700, Sq.701 & Sq.702 and were operated until 1964.

My MB 2020 ‘project’ will be - the US-built - Q-259 formerly based at Soesterberg, pictured above and hereunder during an engine test.

sabre dog dutch q-259_02_861.jpg

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR F-86K Control

No worries, Martin,

As I followed your advice and bought the 48" balsa sheets, I guess I would be able to complete the aft-fuselage as well... cool

But then I could also decide to just have a Static Display model and present a nice scale example of the upgraded J47-GE-17 jet engine. wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Static Display Control

Hi Mark,

That's very kind of you to remember and to forward them. yes

I guess I'll better have another look on YT for some more.

Anyhow they will be of great help for those naughty curves of the engine intake.

Cheers

Chris

Edited By McG 6969 on 07/11/2019 18:17:07

Hello to all,

I took the decision to give the pondering part - the Dog formers and keels redrawing - a rest for a while…

… and to start the ‘knock on wood’ part of the build.

The wing part of the plan was cut, taped to the board, covered with plastic film and I even thought of drawing some extensions for the ribs and spars for later use. wink

Gaston assisted me in getting the different kit parts sorted in their respective trays so we could start with the sanding/filing of the wing jig parts.

505_sorting_wood_900.jpg

First a little fettling was needed to get the male plugs & the female lugs fitting together.

The parts needed for J2, J3 and J4 were then glued together and taped to an alu profile to keep them flat and straight whilst drying.

508_gluing_subformers_900.jpg

As I’m a convinced fan of Deluxe Aliphatic wood glue, it is best to leave the bits drying overnight.

Not a problem really as we have a lot of jig pieces to prepare… angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Jig Stuff Control

Hi again,

Next was to check the fitting of the lugs and dry assemble the wing jig over the plan.

I don’t exactly know why but I started to glue the center section first, followed by the odd numbered rib supports on both port and starboard sides…

509_wingjig01_900.jpg

I also used some square off cuts of cork pinned to the board to keep the bits at the right place and to check the squareness of the jig structure before applying glue.

514_wingjig02_900.jpg

Slow progress of course, but thanks to Martin’s fine kit, I’ll be getting there…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Jig Stuff #2 Control

Hello to all,

Well, here we go: I’ll ask my two first ‘daft’ questions angel >

- following Phil’s advice, I’m making my lower wing sheets with an extra 10mm at the LE, wing tip and TE. Assuming they are the same, can I prepare my upper wing sheets now while the wing plan is still on the board?

- regarding the servo wires for flaps & elevators I don’t see any provisions for those - paper tubes, straws or just holes – in the build threads so far. Shouldn’t it be easier to have some holes in the ribs before gluing them in?

Thanks to Chris B for his ‘beginners’ planking tips in his blog.  yes  

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Daft Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 11/11/2019 09:24:57

Hi Chris, dont see a reason why you can't prepare your top skins now, but remember to allow more material "width" in the chord dimension to allow for the extra curvature of the top surface over that of the lower surface. Store the skins safely whilst you prepare the lower wing with all the internals and then you can add them later. In fact it's probably a good idea to do it first whilst you don't have the jig sat on the plan!

Thank you for the kind advice, Harry.

(and to Simon W2 for answering on his own thread.)

As my sheeting is foreseen with an extra 10mm at the LE, tip and TE, I must have enough material to take care of the extra top curvature. But I’ll check that out before committing.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Sheeting Control

Hello gents,

The other ribs of the wing jig were glued in.

As I don’t have any triangular stock, I prepared some ‘gussets’ from balsa off cuts, pinned them down at some strategic points and the Aliphatic is drying now.

517_wingjig03_900.jpg

520_wingjig04_900.jpg

Next time, I guess I could use Deluxe SuperPhatic as it procures a faster drying.

Note to self > I mustn’t forget to add the central 1,5mm balsa strip on top of the R1 ribs.

And Gaston is still a bit wondering what I’m trying to achieve…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Jig Stuff #3 Control

Always nice to have you visiting and commenting, John.

Unfortunately, no slopes at all... sad

The Netherlands and Belgium are called the 'Lage Landen' (Low Lands) for a reason, I guess.

That's very probably why Dirk T is building an EDF version of his great Fouga Magister slope bird.

I decided to participate to the Sabre MB for the building experience in itself. But of course, getting it ready in time for the Orme event and being able to join the community, would be a major bonus point. smiley

Cheers, young man

Chris

Thanks for your concerns, Chris B.

The building board is a 25mm MDF board covered w/ Melamine on both sides with a frame of battens glued/screwed underneath. The central longitudinal batten is deeper so it can be firmly blocked by the Workmate... and easily dismantled as well when not in use... yes

So I'm not really worried about it and besides - due to my age - I'm a bit reluctant to practice my hobbies on the floor. wink

Cheers

Chris

I started to get worried with Chris B's comment about my building board... indecision

When I arrived at La Grotte - as the jig could now be removed - the first thing I did was checking my board...

I used a steel ruler, two different alu profiles and came to the conclusion that my board is absolutely nice and totally flat... smiley

While experiencing a well-funded relieve, I made my first measurements and cuttings for the bottom wing sheeting.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Board Control