Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog

Adjutant McG, I am no expert, but one thing that might help set one's mind at ease with regard to battery DURATION (using 4.8V NiMH) is that, at least in my experience of powering just two servos with 4.8V 300 mAn packs, THEY LAST ALL DAY. And I mean, ALL day! Like, flying pretty much non-stop from mid-morning until dusk in warm and halcyon Southern California. Same is true for 750mAh packs

True, the airplanes I've been flying flying are relatively small and lightweight, ergo the batteries are likely driving less powerful servos than we might use now on our 1/10th scale Sabres, but there it is. As a PSS flyer, you might wanna ask yourself, "HOW LONG AM I GONNA BE OUT THERE IN A STRONG CHILLY WIND, ANYWAY? And be chilly, I mean ICE-COLD, like, you begin losing touch with your face, your fingertips, the works!

hot Junior Aircraftman Cadet Rood

Thank you for promoting me to 'Adjudant', Junior Aircraftman John. cool

You might well be totally right in Southern California & with small and lightweight models.

But as Martin is using 4,8/2000 mAh, I might at least stick to that for the Welsh climate (even in June...).

My idea to use 6V might allow my analog MGs to operate a bit better regarding torque & speed.

Also he uses 100gr lead in front of his pack, so I thought it would be better to ad some 'useful weight' there if possible. angel

I don't really need "ice-cold" weather to loose touch with my face, finger tips and especially... neurons. blush

Cheers

Chris

Hello out there,

As we are now bashing some balsa wood, albeit quite slowly, I can finally get the feeling some bits are coming together.

All starboard ribs are finally ready to go and I started gluing them in using Superphatic.

554_topspar_dryfit01_900.jpg

So far, the top spar is just a dry fit to check things out before committing with some glue.

As you can notice R1 isn’t glued in yet as I have to fit the servo wires paper tube first.

556_topspar_dryfit02_900.jpg

The ribs are really glued square to the sheeting, I swear…

But I guess the wide-angle lens is trying to make me look even more stupid than I am…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Distortion Control

Thank you both for commenting, Danny & Mark.

You're very welcome to "watch" any time you want, Danny. But I really doubt there will be something for you to "learn"... wink

Any progress with your Luftwaffe Sabre, Mark? It seems you had your last post some time ago. question

Cheers

Chris

Hi all,

I had the top spar glued in, adjusted the ribs bevel angles, made the LE & TE parts and finally glued them in as well.

I left them slightly oversize as they will be sanded later to conform the rib shapes.

560_spar-le -te_900.jpg

I started preparing the shear webs, but as an apprentice, I thought they were having the same length - from R5 to the tip - so I prepared a bunch of them… just to discover that they aren’t the same at all… blush

So, with love and dedication, I started again but one by one this time. angel

As Peter Miller once wrote > “Don’t look at the top of the mountain, one bite at the time will do the job in the end…” … or am I a little confused with “stones” and “elephants”? … indecision

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Bite Control

Hello there,

Maybe just a small ‘bite’ again, but nevertheless some progression in La Grotte.

As I prepared some shear webs before, a first row was added to the spars using Aliphatic.

567_shear_webs01_900.jpg

While that was drying, I prepared the remaining ones without having them beveled so far.

Even a monkey doesn’t kick the same ‘stone’ twice, isn’t?

572_shear_webs02_900.jpg

Now Gaston seems to finally understand what’s happening and appreciates the progression…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Shear Webs Control

Thanks for your kind comment, Ade.

Fine to read that you are close to the building board now. yes

And please "catch up" as fast as you can so I can have some guidelines to follow. angel

... but of course don't forget your Fantasy GP predictions for the last race in Abu Dhabi next weekend... wink

Cheers

Chris

Hi to all,

I had a busy afternoon at La Grotte with adjusting and gluing the second row of shear webs, preparing the paper tube for the servo wires, then bringing in R1 (finally !) and preparing the dowel area balsa blocks. All that to be finalized with a combination of Aliphatic and Superphatic.

Apologies for not having the time to take some pictures but it was a total mess of pins, clothes clamps and other ones anyway. I’ll post some pics as soon as the board gets a bit ‘cleared’. Promised… angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Clamps Control

Hello again,

Some progress has been made again on the starboard half wing.

All the prepared bits have been glued in - including the hinge blocks - so I could start with sanding back the false LE and TE flush with the ribs. The same treatment got done to the main spar and the shear webs which were still protruding a tiny bit.

580_glued bits01_900.jpg

I noticed - on Martin’s pic in the ‘Sabre Build Gotchas’ thread - that the false LE would get ‘floating’ slightly next to R3 when sanding flush later to install the dowel ply brace. Not the best idea with Gaston - or me... - around…

So, I added a small gusset to R3 to keep the bits together.

584_glued bits02_900.jpg

Is it just me? … or should I add OCD to my already ‘mildly autistic’ behaviour?

Anyhow Gaston suggested it was about time now for a small ‘tea ceremony’… Good idea, great, fine, but I don’t drink tea and in BE we don’t have that great selection of ginger biscuits.

Let’s have it then with some original Sicilian Ballaturi Rosato 2018 and some… genuine Belgian vanilla waffles…

586_tea_ceremony_900.jpg

A great weekend to all & hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Ballaturi Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 29/11/2019 21:11:46

Thank you both for your visit and especially for your comments, gents.

Every single comment is a sign of appreciation and as such helps with keeping up the building mojo... cool

Regarding the waffles they just were done our traditional Belgian way with a waffle iron, Harry wink ... besides I still need my jig for the port half wing...

@ Mark > did you have any progress with your 'Luftwaffe' Sabre?

Cheers

Chris

Thank you for your comment, dear. smiley

Probably a few words of introduction are needed now for the visitors of the Sabre MB.

As some will know, Iris - aka The LotH - is my partner since about 10 years now.

LotH? ... do you remember Mrs Bucket when she was picking up the telephone in 'Keeping up appearances'?

I just thought it was a bit more educated than simply SHMBO or Swimbo... surprise

She was a Math and French teacher in the States before she headed back to BE a decade ago, so watch your language, please gents... wink

Cheers

Chris

Oh dear... sad there goes my 'discrete' intermezzo.

Are you comparing me with the 'bucket' lady?

I hope so not Richard... oops I mean Chris... cheeky

Have fun building. I follow but as you know I am not as 'technical' as I would like to be and although my level of English is quite acceptable, sometimes this all sounds like Chinese to me. But love the pics!

So neat, tidy and organised! Really you! So keep up the good work.

Lot(h)s of love,

Iris

BRU - BE / CTR Organisation Control

Hello to all,

I had an ‘off-building’ weekend as it was the last F1 Grand Prix of the season in Abu Dhabi.

So - in accordance to my previous life - I’m still quite interested in motorsport and I decided to participate in the Fantasy GP Forumites game hosted here by our own RCM&E forum.

As I was leading the charts before the last event, I had to turn my attention to my team and predictions for the race and obviously check out ‘live’ what was going to happen…

Any GP-race fans visiting here are welcome to join us for next season, of course…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Fantasy GP Control

Hello gents & laddies,

Yesterday, I spent a lot of building time… just driving around to find some bits for the ‘Dog’. frown

What I needed most is the balsa for the fuselage stingers (3/16”?) but couldn’t find any imperial sized wood. I even had an 90km round trip to the LMS (local?) without success.

As it is a quite close dimension, I finally went for 5mm sheets found in my ‘nearly local’ Lucas Creativ’ crafts store, so I’ll have to have all my formers ‘sized’ for that dimension.

Finally, a happy bunny as I have also found 3mm piano wire, some 3mm ID brass tubing and 4mm carbon rod, so I feel ready (later on!) to have a go at Chris B’s internal rudder actuation system… smiley

I nearly finished the drawings of the Dog’s front section as I ‘ll have to make some new ply pieces for the front of the fuse and adapt some existing formers at the back. But more about that soon…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Bits Control

Hi to all,

Some progress with the drawing of the front of my Dog fuselage.

I must be a tiny bit ‘insane’ to have started this mod as it gets slightly ‘complicated’ sometimes as the plan isn’t showing a plan view of the fuse.

But then if I can ‘bite down’ this challenge, I hope Gaston will be proud of me…

587_dog_fuse_front_900.jpg

The side view drawing shows the parts that will need to be 're-cut' or ‘created’.

Maybe a little explanation for those interested. question

Quite obviously F12 & F13 - drawn in red - are becoming ‘longer’ and with a different angle to the datum line.

F2 needs to be modified slightly at the bottom of it, but F1 will be a different part entirely and ‘F0’ has to be created to allow for the radome nose and the shark mouth. In front of F0 we’ll have a lamination of 3 x 6mm balsa, 2 rings of 2mm ply - to allow the nose cone to be removable - and finally the nose cone in Blue foam.

I will also use Blue foam under the datum line between F0 & F1 and between F1 and F2, while the standard planking will be maintained above the datum line up to F0…

Do I hear some snoring ‘zzz’ in the background? … surprise

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Snoring Control