source of 2mm Depron?

David Tayler

I bought some Depron sheets from a place in Hucknall, Notts about 2/3 years ago (not 2mm though). They claimed to be the main importer for Depron in the UK and only reluctantly supplied the (relatively) small quantity I wanted. I can't remember the name but I found them via Google. Even though I'm fairly local (only about 15 miles away) I don't know Hucknall well even though I used to fly models there, it took a lot of finding their premises. I suppose cariage might be quite dear for sheets because of the size.

They were mainly using it for insulation IIRC so perhaps Depron as thin as 2mm may not be their bag. This is the place.

Geoff

Years ago, in Radio Control Scale Models, I think there were series of little indoor WW 1 aircraft. Designer made his thin depron by passing a hot wire across the top of a box contains the depron, suitably packed up to get the correct thickness. You get on goog face, one cut face.

He, I seem to remember then passed the depron through an ink jet printer to get the final finish. Long time ago.

Hi David. Long time since we made contact. Don't have a source for Depron, but you could consider trying out Proplex which is available in very large sheets from Wickes and very cheap (£2.50 last ime I got some). It is like thin Correx ("plastic corrugated cardboard" but quite a lot lighter than foam-board. I built a little profile model with it (see pic) and AUW is 114g. The clovering is parcel tape. Flies on a tiny 2S 180mAh.

Best regards, Richard W.

Chuckle Home-build.jpgChuckle in flight.jpg

There is 4 page article in the latest November 19 edition of AeroModeller on Depron written by Steve Midson, it says that white Depron in any thickness is no longer manufactured. Only grey (known as black) is now made in 3mm and 6mm (nominal)thicknesses for insulation. He describes how he produces thinner thicknesses using a jig and hot wire along with a lot more information.

Hi, I've also been pondering this one and either thought about sanding b&q 3mm down to 2mm or I have been looking at the hb10 food boxes from ebay, each box would give you two sheets roughly 200 x 120 mm, 25 boxes for about £7, don't quote me but I think it's 2mm, a call into your local kebab shop may confirm.. Glyn

Thanks to all who have ofered advice. I have ordered some aero depron and will try cutting 6mm white down with a hot wire. It largely seems that I have missed the boat for 2mm white depron ,which is a shame as I have built 3 Fockers and 5 Chipmunks out of it,and they fly well. Plans for the Focker will be published in our club magazine shortly! The vector board seems heavier and more floppy, but also more resillient.;However for indoor flying lightness is everything. David

Posted by Richard Harris on 28/10/2019 09:39:13:

Last time I bought some was from SAMS but they have run out.

If you can cope with 3mm B&Q sell it HERE , they also sell 6 and 10mm thicknesses

Rich

Richard, Do you happen to know how may sheets are in the 3mm B&Q pack? Their advert doesn't say, and the maths suggests its 13.3 sheets! dont know

Posted by David Tayler on 27/10/2019 21:06:28:

I have been making models for indoor flying out of 2mm Depron. Recent internet searches for more supplies have been fruitless. Does anyone know of a good source of 2mm depron. Preferably in the UK. Thanks ,David

Edited By David Tayler on 27/10/2019 21:07:03

What part of the UK David ? 

I have some 2mm x 1000mm x 350mm white Depron sheets, but it would be a PITA to package and post.

The nearest 'happening' to me is the Bwlch slope soaring site, (20 minutes away), if you know anyone who visits there it could be passed that way.

Ray. Near Swansea.

Edited By eflightray on 29/10/2019 13:40:27

Posted by Robin Colbourne on 29/10/2019 12:11:04:
Posted by Richard Harris on 28/10/2019 09:39:13:

Last time I bought some was from SAMS but they have run out.

If you can cope with 3mm B&Q sell it HERE , they also sell 6 and 10mm thicknesses

Rich

Richard, Do you happen to know how may sheets are in the 3mm B&Q pack? Their advert doesn't say, and the maths suggests its 13.3 sheets! dont know

My maths make it 8 per pack.