Stampe SR7 building blog

The Stampe SR.7 was a Belgian trainer designed in the 50s, However only two were ever built but strangely enough it has always been a popular subject for modellers.

The aircraft is very similar to a De Havilland Chipmunk but with a much simpler fuselage shape.

My model is based on some decidedly inaccurate 3 views and the very few photos available on the net. There for it is "stand way off scale" These have been corrected as after as possible with the air of the photos.

Construction is the basic box with one or two different areas

stampe build 002.jpg

This shows the basic box with the rest of the formers. Note F-1 is different to get the right shape for the nose.

stampe build 003.jpg

Here F-1 is being glued into place. It needs big clamps to hold the sides to it as they are springy with the 1/32" ply doublers.

stampe build 004.jpg

This is the basic box with all the formers and the battery platform in place.

stampe build 005.jpg

This is a close up of the battery platform. The cooling holes will also be used to pass the battery straps through.

stampe build 006.jpg

The underside of the battery platform. I shaped the lower edges of F-2 to match the curved in sides. The strip balsa supports were meant to be under the platform however a fillet of glue and the supports on the top did the job.

... your wishes are commands, Stuphedd. wink

The 'Belgian' one >

and the 'French' one >

In fact, Stampe / Renard did build 3 airframes. One to be presented to the Belgian Air Force for trainer evaluation (the orange one) and one other (the Farman Monitor) assembled and equipped with a Renault engine by Farman in France to be presented to the Armée de l'Air with the same evaluation purpose.

The third airframe has 'disappeared' and nobody knows if it is still 'alive'.

So, future modellers could simply make their own 'deco scheme' simply pretending it's the 'third' one... yes

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris. I do have a couple of other pictures of the one in a museum but they are copyright.

A few more construction pictures.

stampe build 008.jpg

Rear deck stringers fitted.

stampe build 009.jpgstampe build 010.jpgFirst stage of building the battery hatch

stampe build 011.jpg

Glue the sheet to the side strips and leave to dry

stampe build 012.jpg

Do the same with the short turtle deck pieces

stampe build 013.jpg

A wipe with water and apply some heat with a heat gun and the sheet is bent over

stampe build 014.jpg

And the inside view

stampe build 015.jpg

Same technique with the turtle deck pieces.

Next I will start on the wings so it will be a few days before we get the next batch.

Stampe also did the SV-4B which looks as if its mother was frightened by a Tiger Moth. The fin is very similar.

Ah - now I always felt the Tiggie looked as if something had frightened it, the way that top wing hunches up !

A very characteristic tail on that machine - looks as though both fin & rudder and tailplane & elevator were lifted straight from the SV4. Interesting that the Stampe has never had any strakes, whereas the Tiger Moth did, so presumably that larger fin & rudder was more effective compared to the Tiger's quite delicate effort.

(Has anyone found a model Tiger to be difficult to recover from a spin I wonder?)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the Studio set up and a lot more pictures taken plus some from aprevious session.

Nearly ready for covering.

stampe build blog 16 (1).jpg

This is the air outlet under the cowl. I think it will need to be blanked off a abit to force air throught the battery bay.

cowl 1.jpg

The basic cowl being built on the 1/16" cowl rear former

18.jpg

The cowl all shaped up nicely.

20.jpg

This shows the cowl ready to fit. Note the screws in F-1 and the keyhole slots in the cowl former

Cowl is simply mounted by pushing on and then down.A catch underneat holds it down.

21.jpg

The keyhole slot. This system works really well.

The tail is pretty simple.

tail parts.jpg

The tail parts. The rudder is built up from a core of sheet and strips to represent the ribs. I was going to do the elevators the same way but found that there was no saving in weight and I am lazy!!!

taill blocks.jpg

I always make my fin fairing blocks by glueing on sacrificial pieces of sheet and adding the blocks, then carving to shape. This guarantees a perfect match

tail blocks 2.jpg

I just use spots of CA glue to hold the assembly together. The sacrificial pieces can be saved and used for another model or two.

Edited By Peter Miller on 11/11/2019 13:41:04

The wings follow my standard sequence

wing 1.jpg

The basic wing is built on the board, Note the U/C mount in the leading edge. This wing should not have the root rib fitted at this stage as will be explained.

wing 2.jpg

The left wing is built right up to ans including the top leading edge sheet. It is pinned down at all times. This ensures that there can be no warps.

wing3.jpg

with the right wing still pinned down the left wing is joined on at the correct dihedral angle. Only then is the right root rib added. This makes sure of a perfect join.

A club member what shall remain nameless rang me when building one of my designs. "You haven't put an angle template for the root rib!!!" He was most annoyed. As I explained. "When all else fails try reading the instructions"

22.jpg

The complete wing ready for covering. I am using a central servo as the ribs out towards the tip get a little small to run a 1/2" paper tube through them

23.jpg

The aileron bellcrank. The slots allow the aileron pushrods to be fitted after covering.

24.jpg

The slot is for the torque rod undercarriage mounting

17.jpg

The tips are made from soft 1/4" sheet. This is simpler and allows for the odd hangar rash and landing out in a ploughed field

Now I am going to start covering the thing

Posted by Peter Miller on 01/11/2019 08:28:58:

It is interesting that the great Brian Lecomber favoured the Stampe SV-4 for aerobatics...before he went on the Dunlop Pitts.

And anyone who watched Brian flying the Pitts will never forget it!!

Edited By Peter Miller on 01/11/2019 08:30:15

Indeed, Peter. Greatly missed, Mr Lecomber. I think he kept his Stampe even when he had moved his team on to ?Extra 300s? I think. The start of his book 'Talk Down; showed how much he liked the Stampe for gentle aerobatics. I still recall a lovely conversation I had with him when I was debating doing a Lycoming conversion. He had a 200HP Lycoming with VP prop and turbo for sale; he tried to persuade me to fit that to my Stampe - "Just think how much vertical you could get with that!" I felt it was the down vertical maneouvres that might be the limit, unless I could fit airbrakes(!) - the Stampe had quite a low flick roll limit speed. He was a terrific character and a superbly thoughtful, careful pilot.