Stampe SR7 building blog

Hi John.

I liked his forst two books. "Talk Down" was very good but I did not enjoy it as much.

I saw hin flying his PItts at the Dunlop Pitts competion at Old Warden. Where the only models in all classes where of his aircraft.

I think he must have been inspired by the fact that so many modellers had build models of his aircraft.

I will NEVER forget his knife edge flight down the strip with the wing tip about 10 feet or less above the ground.

I came fourth in static with a model that was built as per the full size.i.e a frame of brass tube and all built up to 1/12th scale

pitts dunlop.jpg

Probably one of the best and most detailed models that I have ever built.

A judge later told me that the judges results had been changed because another model was being featured in a magazine article so....

Edited By Peter Miller on 17/11/2019 08:25:44

Posted by Peter Miller on 18/11/2019 08:30:58:

That must have been a along time ago. I can't even remember it, must have been before I started serious R/C in the 70s.

The only one that I know was the control line stunter which was very semi scaleor more "based loosely on"

I didn't start flying r/c until 1988 and I bought the kit at Weston Park probably in 2002 but it could have been earlier.

I bought it because I'd admired Frank Warburton's control line model as a youth but I've never got round to buildng it! I've never started the Skyways Model either!

10786.jpg

stampe monitor.jpg

Edited By David Davis on 18/11/2019 09:05:02

Posted by McG 6969 on 18/11/2019 09:43:20:

Here you go, David.

The Farman Monitor, to be presented to the Armée de l'Air for evaluation purposes.

Watch the absence of dorsal fairing in front of the vertical tail and the different cowl as it was equipped with a Renault engine and not the Gipsy.

Cheers

Chris

Oh I won't be entering mine in the National Championships Chris!

Has the French version been left in the natural aluminium overall with lettering in red and black?

Well I just finished my Stampe SR-7 and nipped out and photographed it sitting in the road.

I am very please with it. About430 Sq in. of winger area. All up ready to fly weight 3lbs 11 ounces with a 3000Mah 3S battery. And the best bit. the CG came out smack on the main spar which is where it was designed to be. Wing loading is 19 ounces per sq. ft..

stampe sr-7.jpg

I may add the chequers to the rudder as seen on some older photos.

stampe sr-7 2.jpg

stampe sr-7 3.jpg

Motor is a 4-Max 3541 1070 Prop is 11 X 5.5

Edited By Peter Miller on 21/11/2019 11:30:54

Now all, I have to do is wait for a good day for the test flight and at this time of year they are rare...well SUndays are

The Moon Dancer publication depends on Kevin. I am not in any hurry and NEVER chase editors...it only upsets them and one does not want to do that!!!

I have only chased editors twice when plans sat with them for three years. Once was Model Boats and one was Model Airplane News which had sat there for three years also. The Model Airplane news plan was Dragon Dancer which was then published in RCM&E

I am looking at the UFO but need the inspiration to get started. I have a long list of possibleprojects. I also have the Stampe plan to correct and modify, and the article to write etc. etc.

The Stampe looks really nice and I hope it's an RCME plan soon.......

Interesting to compare the Stampe with Fanlight Fanny - a semi scale Sipa 12 - which looks a bit similar and was Peter's design in RC Model Flyer May 2014. Fanlight Fanny was 53 inch span 500 sq ins and 65 ounces at 18.75oz sq ft for a 29 to 35 twostroke. Very similar wing loading etc. Peter reported that it " flies like a dream" so we can expect the Stampe to be just as good.

dsc01376.jpgWell today was a misty day with very low cloud but no wind so a few of the hardy members gathe for a spot of flying.

The cloud/mist was coming very low at times which made it interesting, 200 or 300 feet.

Anyway I was ableo to test fly the model. It flew perfectly with no trim needed. It was rock steady but very responsive. The first flight was quite short as the model vanishing into the cloud was a bit worrying. I did a loop and a roll. Then the landing was one of the best I have ddone in a while.

Second flight and I went to high rates on the aileron. I foud the roll rate fast. I also did a square loop. Inverted was interesting, at low power and speed it was instab;e due to the higher angle of attack which mean that the inverted wing was tip stalling. At full power it was rock steady. I tried to make her stall in the upright position but she flatly refused to do even a twitch.

Flick rolls are very fast..

My second landing was a roller on the main wheels, again one of my best.

stampe2a.jpg

• 1 year later...