Sackys FJ3 Fury

• 1 month later...

Firstly a big 'Thank you' to all you guys sharing your experiences building the PSSA Sabre. For the ones like me, bringing up the rear, the 'gotchas' have been really helpful. My beastie is an FJ-3, the wing is the 6-3 variant and I am making some subtle alterations to extend the wing root by 15mm and the wing tip by 7.5mm. We will see how that works out (gulp).

Here are the woking pics so far, the reinforced frame for the wing and tentative first steps on the skin.

building the wing 1a.jpg

building the wing 2.jpg

I am enjoying following everyones progress and its great to be back building a (hopefully) fling machine.

Nice one PSSA.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a call for help!

Have any of you good chaps set up the ailerons using rds ??? Graupner have a good set but before I invest what are your thoughts https://www.graupner.com/RDS-Servo-lead-ductDES/3927/

By the way these were the only readily available commercial sets I found. If anyone else has already posted on this then my apologies - I missed it!

• 2 weeks later...

The past couple of weeks I have been grappling with the 6-3 wing, and too much Christmas food The Fury FJ3 had a variant of the original wing where the chord was extended forward 6 inches at the root. This has been covered elsewhere on the forum. I decided to draw a new wing with the 6-3 format and see what I would need to change on 'our' standard wing. My references were various internet sourced plans, a scale model plan that I resized to 1/10 scale and a scale model fury fj3 from Sword.

Having drawn the new profile my next step was to produce a new leading edge and to alter the point of maximum thickness 1.3 cm forward at the root. Having temporarily taken over my wife workshop table (she owns a knitting shop and has a craft area at the rear) I set about the modifications.

So my efforts are reproduced below:-

6-3 wing 1.jpg

Leading edge fitted ready to be cut to correct profile6-3 wing 2.jpg

A piccy from the knitting shop craft area. I made use of the area while wifey was having a Christmas break.

6-3 wing 3.jpg

My pilot takes a seat on the newly shaped wing and reviews progress. The leading edge is correctly sized and about to be shaped. The wing formers will need more work in the next stage.

This may be more fiddle than strictly necessary but I am thoroughly enjoying the ride !

Would anybody like to offer a name for my pilot ?

Well Chris I have had to have words - there are little grey footprints all over the inner wing skin!

Servos now purchased for ailerons, I'm using Turnigy. There are some fantastic forum posts on servo installation which I am following closely and hope to apply within the month.

For now I will turn my attention to the fuselage as I am aware we are in 2020 and 'The Event' is approaching even more rapidly. BMFA membership renewed, CAA enrolled. Im almost good to go, just need my plane to come together aaagggghhhhh (don't panic Mr Mannering).

Happy New Year and Happy New Decade to one and all laugh

M.A.N. feature April 1962.jpg

A little FJ-3 Fury inspiration for y'all !!! smile

A 1960s childhood flashback for me: The cover of my fave magazine, graced by this fair maiden and Joe Coles' Dyna-Jet (pulse jet) - powered control-line model of an FJ-3. Ever heard a Dyna Jet roar? God be the days!

Nowadays the OUTERZONE online plans resource has PDFs of the gorgeous plans and the accompanying feature article from April 1962. look for the tabs down the page there to download those two PDFs if you'd like to add 'em to your stash.

The Great Orme PSS Scale Fidelity Police will note that Mr. Coles has faithfully captured the deeper nose contours of the FJ-3 variant.

cool David, best wishes on your build! Fun idea to do the great and mighty badass FJ-3 !!!

• 1 month later...

Mid February looms and I have two fuselage halves that almost match. I have a pilot who is the right scale and correct uniform - and no longer quite so grey. Although the build is progressing slowly I am getting there and she will be ready for June. This has been great fun and I am thoroughly enjoying the ride.

fuselage halves together feb 2020.jpg

This model of the Fury is based on the Sabre airframe wih some small alterations. I found a plan for the Fury which I scaled up to 1:10 and this has been used to make the cockpit tub and other adjustments to the original airframe.

The nose of the Fury FJ3 is slighly larger than the Sabre F-86A and so has been remodelled, though obviously not as extensivley as Mr McG's outstanding Sabre Dog. The nose and rear sections make use of foam. The centre section is almost as original in order to maintain the alignment and strength. On a dry fit the two sides come together quite nicely and the tub for the pilot fits in well.

At the tail end the tailplane and jet pipe differs between The Sabre and Fury and using models, photos and drawings I have modelled the shape as close to the Fury FJ3 as I can.

I learned not to sandpaper my airframe in the house as this seems to initiate marital distress and anyway working in the garage is altogether quieter.

The wing has been remodelled to a 6-3 format just because once I started I couldn't stop myself - someone said in their thread they overcomplicate things Yep - Guilty !

grey surveys the build.jpg

So to date my build consists of a half finished wing, two half finished fuselage halves, a half finished cockpit and a half finished tailplane, and I am in a happy place !

I find all the posts on the forum hugely encouraging, there are so many skilled peeps doing this build giving us tips and guidance which I gladly apply.

When I get the chance I'll turn my attention to the drop tanks and sidewinders

With regards to marital bliss...….also refrain from utilising the conservatory as a spray booth...……………….. apparently the lady of the house can still smell the paint several days after actual spraying has taken place...…

Don't ask how I know blush

cheers

Nuggett

• 4 weeks later...

Well I am not just sitting on my hands watching you guys speeding ahead.Though I am conscious time is getting shorter. The last few days I have been obsessing about the cockpit canopy which was just wrong for the FJ3 Fury variant. So my first picture shows the Fuselage with the canopy, already cut but not shaped, being roughly positioned.

cockpit fibreglassing 1.jpg

Captain Grey was obviously concerned and has been keeping an eye on proceedings

cockpit fibreglassing 2.jpg

The Fury cockpit canopy was moulded to shape with some cutting and a little filler

cockpit fibreglassing 5.jpg

And for the prototype frame the canopy was covered in a layer of clingfilm. This is what I call 'The modified Tinck technique' as Dirk was the motivation for this effort. On the first attempt the film was not sufficiently smooth and so a couple of attempts were made to improve this.When I was happy that the surface with the clingfilm was smooth enough I painted a layer of water based polyurethane varnish and then the put the glass fibre onto the canopy and brushed it into place. I then brushed another layer of polurethane on top of this leaving little excess. For the clean up I washed my hands and brushes in warm soapy water

cockpit fibreglassing 6.jpg

When I left the 'lab' tonight the glass fibre was looking quite promising. Tomorrow I plan to get another layer of glass fibre and once it has dried remove it from the frame. Then I can confirm that the shape is correct and decide whether the prototype has been a success or not. All good fun.

The second canopy I purchased along with the first will provide the final finish inside the newly made frame.

My past picture shows the shaping of the nose which I think has gone quite well, though those of you with a forensic interest may spot that there were some cutting issues:-

nose shaping march 2020.jpg

My next update should come shortly - did the 'modified Tinck method' suceed ?? Will Captain Gray be happy with the results ?? Did Luton beat Wigan ?? ( darn, 0 - 0 draw ).

'Til next time.

• 2 weeks later...

My build has progressed slowly, largely due to paid real life work ! However my work on the cockpit canopy has been an enjoyable challenge and has come on quite well. I have not made the frame as tidy as Dirks (yet), but the fact I have a prototype frame that looks like a frame has made me smile.

Frame taking shape

Good show old chap

So more careful cutting is required and the pilot -Captain 'Stalker' Grey - is most impressed with the cockpit so far. But he remains concerned that he does not have a fuselage, tailplane or wings. The story continues ......

• 4 weeks later...

Well I could not let a day go by without a posting appearing on our forum !

My work on the Fury FJ3 fuselage and tailplane at the moment is progressing but mostly its just sanding down. The canopy is at the mark 3 stage and getting close to how I want it, being diifferent from the Sabre it has required a bit of extra fiddling as I have already mentioned. Using a modified 'Dirk Technique' employing clingfilm and polyurethane varnish the frame is now quite firm and in the final shaping phase. I did spend some time on the ejector seat which is again different to the Sabre version. Getting good pictures has proven difficult and my seat is based on the few good ones I have found. Tbh I am really pleased with the look of the seat, its got that 'used' feel - Captain Grey is quite happy with it, and so am I.

Ejector seat

Hi Peter, thanks My sanding around the cockpit area of the fuselage is largely complete and the seating of the canopy has been tested all along so it should be okay. This earlier photograph shows the Mk1 canopy mould being aligned by the primordial fuselage

cockpit fibreglassing 1.jpg

The canopy and the fuselage marry up quite well despite the slight differences between the F-86 and the FJ3. As Phil Cooke has noted there are adjustments to be made. I have had to cut the supplied canopy in order to get a longer 'windscreen' and as a result the top has flattened by about 5mm so the curvature is slightly incorrect. This is the bit I am battling with. From a little distance I doubt anyone would notice but it irritates me no end ! In this picture the Mk1 frame and the cockpit tub are side by side.

Frame taking shape

This picture shows Capt. Grey looking out from the seated frame.

img_1834 in the tub.jpg

Lots more work to do but great fun. Having never done a build like this before I'm learning a lot and enjoying seeing how other peeps tackle problems - then unashamedly stealing their ideas. Hopefully we will have a presentable plane that flies. It would be my first since I was about 14 (Keil Kraft Swan and some jetex planes) some 50 years ago (gulp!!!!) when I was a young member of the Stevenage Model Aviation and Marine Society. Happy days.

Edited By David Sack on 16/04/2020 09:00:09