Tony's F-86 Sabre Build

• 2 weeks later...

As a first time PSS builder I have learnt plenty over the past months which will no doubt help me in future build projects. I have had a chance to view some of the other blogs on this thread (F-86) and am totally amazed and encouraged by the high standard of the builds, especially some of the modifications and innovative enhancements and engineering ideas to the original Sabre plan. I must admit that I have taken some of these ideas for my own Sabre project. A nagging voice in my head is now telling me that I must purchase a second Sabre model kit to build sometime in the future that will included all of these good ideas that have been published on this blog. Is this a strange thought to have or do other PSS RC modelers out there have the same kind of idea? Or could it be the Covid-19 lock down fever getting to me. Maybe it's just me but I need to finish this one first before starting anything else.

Tony,

I think your symptoms are quite classic for anyone who discovers the thrills and spills of PSS model making. We all strive for scale, most of us in a laid back manner - we all love a modelled scale feature or a working gizmo, and we all appreciate the levels of innovation and creativity we so often see in models built by PSS flyers. There's something quite special in building a little beyond the 'as-drawn' plan, researching the full size design and adding those extra finishing touches!

It might be a little odd to build another Sabre having just built one, more common maybe to select and build another subject where you can satisfy the need to employ the mods and features you're keen to model. Its quite common for PSS modellers to have many started projects all running at different speeds in parallel!

Lovely to read you have enjoyed the build and have been inspired to push the levels in your own modelling and to build more using traditional methods - this is exactly one of the reasons why we run the Mass Builds!

Tony,

If you do want another Sabre, let me know, if required I can bring it to the next PSS meet, whenever lockdown allows!

Alternatively there are lots of plans/kits out there to choose from. Gordon and I are currently working on a Mig15 to the same scale as well as an Me109, also at 10th scale.

Martin.

Dirk, many thanks for your views, do you not think that 35 un-started kits is almost an obsession in its self, only joking mate. I do hope that one day they all manage to fly!!!

Phil, yes I am very much enjoying the MB2020 but as said earlier I have so much to learn from many others on this forum. I did not consider at the start how absorbing the hobby would become. I am just hoping that my Sabre will actually fly. I am also very fortunate that I get great support and encouragement from my local club, Slope Soaring Sussex, as a junior member I am very well supervised and very lucky to have good instructors who provide advice and guidance to all.

Martin, thank you for your kind offer but I will probably not go down the Sabre route again as I already have one but the 1/10 Me109 does interest me greatly. Please keep me informed of the development of the Me109 and count me in for a kit.

Cheers Tony.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress report, I have now installed the nose intake and have added an extra 6mm sheet section to make the join better as mentioned on this very forum.

72.jpg

Also, I have had a stab at the jet pipe assembly. Really amazed at what damage can be done with a Dremel and router bit being controlled by a novice. However, that said not a bad first time attempt. Have also managed to fit a little white navigation light in to the rear structure. Need to get a Dremel sanding disc to finish the job, some filler, paint and it will be a first class job.

73.jpg

The tail plane control mechanism has been fitted and tested but I think I need more movement on the rear linkage that will allow the correct range of movement of +/- 7mm. I have also fitted ply supports on the rear formers to provide a guide for the elevator control snake.

74.jpg

Fin assembly dry fitted to ensure correct freedom of movement before being glued in place.

75.jpg

On to the next job of making the gun ports. I must admit I am stealing the ideas from the other more experienced members on this forum.

• 1 month later...

Progress report: Cockpit floor now fitted with the L/H and R/H consoles in place thanks to Martyn K for providing them.

76.jpg

77.jpg

Side consoles not yet finished. Need to make throttle handle and associated dials and what not etc.

The cockpit floor now also acts as a platform for the installation of the 2 servos that will operate the rudder and All Moving Tailplane (AMT).

78.jpg

Trial fit of the ejection seat thanks to Andy Meade for providing the seat. Had to cut off my pilots legs to make him fit.

78a.jpg

Have now glued in place the fin assembly making sure the fin angle was correct as to the plan.

80.jpg

Have ensured correct freedom of movement of AMT bellcrank.

Will now finish off the planking and then look at the gun fit followed by sanding, filling and more rubbing down before the fibre glassing phase. I know its slow progress but every step for me is a learning experience. Promise that I will be quicker for the next MB event.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

To establish a relative datum line on each side of the fuselage to ensure that the position of the gun ports were around the same place on each side, I used my lazer level. I placed the entire fuselage into my jig and then used the vertical joint on F5 and the leading edge of the fin to ensure a vertical line. On reflection it's a shame I did not have this device earlier in the build as it would have been very useful to set the angle of the fin. I have also added the wing tips and started the filling process using Balsa Lite prior to the task of applying the fibre glass.

87.jpg

88.jpg

89.jpg

• Like 1