TN Hurricane

Marko

Glenn,

I feel such a fool.  I've become so fixated with building the fuselage first that I've not even thought about the other sheet.  I've carried the first around for ages studying it that I forgot about the other one.  Apologies to all, will sit back and watch someone else build for a bit.  No, not really, will carry on tomorrow.

Thanks again

Studid BB

Hi Peter,

you don't say how your first plan build turned out ?  but assuming it went well and was built square, true and balanced properly, and you flew it ok. then this one would not be to bad for a second attempt,

what i would say (and if you have read the threads will already know) there are a few anomalies. It is most important to study the plan and understand it before cutting out the wood.

The build instructions are not highly detailed and assume you already know things about building.

Also have everything ready and at hand so you can trial fit before glueing......... i did not take this advice and have glued in the retrct bearers, which are fine for the ripmax ones... but too far apart for the ones i have so the holes are going to be to near the edge.

/sites/3/images/member_albums/34794/DSC00692.JPG

/sites/3/images/member_albums/34794/DSC00693.JPG

Here are a couple of low quality photographs of my Hurricane.

I started model flying last year and this is my first attempt at building from a plan. Tony Nijhuis told me that most people start with a simple design with flat sides, I was more ambitious.

I have modified the radiator to look more like the real deal, it does not sit in the correct position because of the wing bolts. The radiator should be a little further back in line with the flaps I have painted on. I have added the blisters to the top of the cowl and painted the underside to make the cowling look as if it has a colar behind the spinner which is not modeled on Tony's plan. The illusion worked well.

I created the roundels with an airbrush. I cut circles in A4 paper, soaked the paper in warm water and applied the paper mask to the model removing excess water and then spraying in side the circle, repeating this three times for the red white & blue colours with a smaller circle each time. This worked out really well giving me a nice proffessional looking paint job with perfect circles. I intend to use the same wet paper trick to created the lettering. I have enlarged a photograph of a hurricane on my computer, and will simply print the enlarged letters from the aircraft onto paper, cut them out and apply them to the model with warm water and spray lightly onto the mask. If you try this, make sure that you have the surface you are spraying onto horizontal.

I have the snake tape that Tony recommends for the panel lines however, I will create my panel lines with the wet paper mask idea, I'm not keen on the snake tape.

I never had any problems with the plan and appear to have missed the problems that other people have had with the plan.

Your aye

Charles Forsyth

Hi BB,

I used the 4Max motor and battery reccomended by Tony. I bought the whole 4Max deal including the battery which I managed to short while soldering on the deans plugs. The battery seems OK though. I am a bit nervous about flying this one because of the huge ammount of time I have dedicated to it. The electrical kit from George at 4max looks nice and appears to be good value. I have an Extreme Flight Extra 300 45 and a Alpha Corsair, they are much lighter than this model. I started with a HobbyZone Super Cub which now has a full set of nav lights, we fly it at night, it's great fun flying in the dark! I have put lights into the Hurricane which will be controlled with the TX.

I will take it to the gliding club to fly it, I will have a lot of space to try it out there. This model cost me a great deal of money to build, it's a shame the materials are so expensive. I managed to make myself ill from the CA fumes and balsa dust, I am learning now to wear a mask. I would like to build another plane, alas the cost is too high.

Your aye

Charles.

Glenn Woodford wrote (see)

Hi Peter,

you don't say how your first plan build turned out ?  but assuming it went well and was built square, true and balanced properly, and you flew it ok. then this one would not be to bad for a second attempt,

what i would say (and if you have read the threads will already know) there are a few anomalies. It is most important to study the plan and understand it before cutting out the wood.

The build instructions are not highly detailed and assume you already know things about building.

Also have everything ready and at hand so you can trial fit before glueing......... i did not take this advice and have glued in the retrct bearers, which are fine for the ripmax ones... but too far apart for the ones i have so the holes are going to be to near the edge.

i am infact just getting round to covering it now check out my miss demeanor album in my gallery

Hi all. I have just signed up to this forum and read this whole thread on the Hurricane. It has really inspired me to get in the 'hanger' and start building. I have only made one aircraft from a plan before, the Fan Dancer I think, from a plan from the 90's. It turned out well and flew a treat. I really want a scale model to build though and I love the Hurricane, but I missed the special edition with the build and plans, doh! I hope you are all getting on well with your builds and I look forward to hearing more about them. Has anyone flown theirs yet? With and i.c engine? All the photos here are brilliant too. Thanks, Iain.

Here are a few more pictures of my Hurricane, I have decided to join 151 Squadron.

A link to squadron markings http://www.raf.mod.uk/bob1940/92to152.html this may help you.

Another useful Hurricane link.... http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6962

Hurricane models has some snake tape for panel lines. MFA appear to have stopped supplying it.

www.hurricanemodels.co.uk I am going to pencil and paint my panel lines on.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/34794/DSC00705.JPG

My pilot posing for the camera.
/sites/3/images/member_albums/34794/DSC00704.JPG

/sites/3/images/member_albums/34794/DSC00703.JPG

The wires sticking out of the wings are for lights. Maplin do some very bright 9000mcd LED lights and look brilliant on approach.

/sites/3/images/member_albums/34794/DSC00702_0.JPG

Canopy not fixed down. I am using a picture of a Hurricane panel take from a flight simulator. Catch a screen shot and print onto glossy paper and laminate!

Yours aye

Charles.

Hi Peter & batch099

I think you maybe mixing up the problems with the Nijhuis Typhoon free plan which was wrongly scaled in the mag .

I have Tony's Hurricane plans with the cnc pack & the free ones , they are both correct scale .

I'm just painting Tony's 62" Spit its much easier to build than the Hurri .

Regards

Ray

Hi Peter

Follow this link http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.uk/detail.php?JPNO=5507198&activepage=1&Navmain=Accessories&subcatname=Undercarriage

I bought these blue retracts from Sussex Model Centre. They are very nice and very well priced.

My model has come out at 10.5lbs and may need more weight in the nose in addition to what I have already placed in there. I am a little dissapointed, I guess it's down to my lack of previous model building experience. Will it fly?

Charles Forsyth

Here are a few more pictures of my Hurricane.

I am ready to fly, just waiting for some nice weather. Will post something on YouTube.

I created some nice panel lines by scratching away the paint on the wings and fuselage to reveal the grey Profilm covering. I used a scapel blade and a non permanent grey felt pen to put some darker colour in the grooves that I created with the knife. I wiped away the excess felt pen with isopropyl alcohol. I am pleased with the results, weathered panel line effect.

The 4Max reccomended setup is shown in one of the photographs below. I have added a little more detail to the underside of the wing and modified the radiator.

/sites/3/images/member_albums/34794/DSC00743.JPG

Panel line detail.

/sites/3/images/member_albums/34794/DSC00742.JPG

Modified radiator.

/sites/3/images/member_albums/34794/DSC00741.JPG

Panel line detail. Black foot walk areas added.

/sites/3/images/member_albums/34794/DSC00739.JPG

A little more detail added to underside of wing.

/sites/3/images/member_albums/34794/DSC00738.JPG

4Max Purple Power. Speed controller mounted behind motor.

Hi Batch, I need lessons in covering too. I used 5 rolls of profilm to cover this plane, I managed to waste one roll covering the fuselage, it went very wrong!. My plane weighs around 10.5 lbs, must be all that paint. This is my first build which has cost me in excess of six hundred pounds! That includes the luxury buy of an airbrush. I have my third airbrush the first two which were Aztec A270 brushes all failed on the control trigger knob. I settled on an Aztec A330 airbrush which is much more robust and nicer to work with. If I were to do this again, I would press my panel lines into the balsa skin with a soft pencil, spray over with the airbrush and then scrape away highlighs in the panel lines with the scapel. The weather looks good according to www.xcweather.co.uk on Tuesday, I might see if one of my experience friends is available to test fly it for me. I have only the radio mast to make. I would like a removable one that breaks without damaging the fuselage. Chas

Hi merry christmas to all  FLYPAST mag has mag called HURRICANE SALUTE on sale now so anyone not sure what colour scheme check this mag it containes every hurri built and all marks    its a must have mag for scale builders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .........mark

goto www. keypublishing.com/shop      for free p&p