T N Avro York

My father in law converted the smaller TN Lancaster to a York a few years ago. It flew once, with my son at the helm, and seemed ok on 4 geared 400 brushed motors. It lost a bit of power after a couple of minutes so it was landed without incident. Turns out that one of the inner gearboxes had failed, so it had carried on flying on 3 brushed motors.

He hasn't persevered with it, but I'm sure it would fly really well on a brushless setup. I imagine Tony used the same wing design for the York as for the Lanc, so it should fly the same as our conversion.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks guys, will keep you posted.

Ray I have seen the one at Duxford and quite fancy the Dan Air scheme.

I have wondered if I did it in a camouflage scheme would it be possible to make the wings interchangeable and then build a fuselage for a Lancaster so I could use the wings on both models?

Maybe a bit ambitious, better just stick to the York.

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally managed some free time to make a start. A couple of nights work has seen the basic fuselage together. It certainly is a box shape!

I was a little unsure about the pre formed nose cone, I expected it to be oversize and fitted on the outside in ARTF style which is something I am not keen on but actually slightlu undersize so that the fuselage can be nicely blended in to it. Very clever.

image.jpeg

Posted by Ray Wood 4 on 31/12/2019 19:33:28:

Hi Cliff.

Always have a soft spot for Dan Air since we first flew on one of their 727's for our honeymoon to Ibiza in 1977

My dad flew to Aden in a York in 1944 was shocked at how much the wings flexed up & down !!

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 4 on 31/12/2019 19:59:45

Never looked into the York, except for seeing one on display - was that at Duxford, or is there another example somewhere like Cosford or Hendon? Lovely aircraft - I hadn't realised they were around as early as 1944. It's actually the first aircraft type I ever flew in, but that was in 1953 so I remember nothing about whether the wings flexed or not, or anything else! It was an RAF 'plane, Egypt to UK via Malta (overnight stay, engine trouble my Mum tells me) and Marseilles.

rgds Tony

Hi Tony,

Yes apparently they entered service in May 43 with 24 Squadron at Northolt, my Dad was an RAF met man, not much to report on in Aden I guess, he built model gliders which flew off over the desert never to be seen again, hence my life long interest in aeroplanes.

Regards Ray

• 1 month later...

I have made good progress on the build and could not resist a posed picture to see what she will look like,

Sorry about lack of build pics but I have had phone issues! Also I cant work out why pictures are coming out on there side?

I am very impressed with the quality of the kit and how it builds. Well done Tony.

img_0200.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Progress has been slow lately as I have had to work quite a bit of overtime. I work in the fruit supply industry as a maintenance engineer and orders have rocketed, plus more than half the engineering staff are self isolating so we are reduced to one of us on each shift!

Still some progress is happening, here is the first fin drilled. And hinges test fitted.img_20200321_081217.jpg

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 21/03/2020 08:32:21

Also the elevators have been constructed and sanded to shape.

Tony designed them as a central core with riblets, and then film covered to represent the fabric covering of the full size, but I decided to go the easier route and make them from sheet as I was not too bothered about the scale effect.

img_20200321_081204.jpg

I have now sanded both outer fins and rudders, drilled all holes and test fitted the Robart hinges..

I don't know who Tony used for his balsa supply but it sanded and shaped really nicely and is not too soft or hard.

Just the centre fin and rudder to do, this will be easier as the rudder in the kit is not operational.

img_20200321_105217.jpg

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 21/03/2020 14:10:17

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 21/03/2020 14:12:11