T N Avro York

Both outer fins and rudders are complete. They have been sanded to shape, then covered with film, lightly sanded to give a key, treated with Prymol and sprayed.

I have decided on the Dan Air livery so they just need a red stripe across the top and coat of gloss varnish and they are done.

img_20200328_105112.jpg

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 28/03/2020 11:06:40

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 28/03/2020 11:07:24

Hi Cliff,

Yes the band's and nacelles are black, I guess to mask the exhaust staining from the Marlins 😀

But the band's aren't under the wings on this little Corgi model.

The Bristol Superfreighters had the same idea with dove grey bands.

I think watching yourimg_20200328_144309.jpg build could end up costing me money !!

Regards Ray

I have made the wing mountings and fitted the over-wing portions of the fuselage and started to blend them in and also started the sanding of the corners of the fuselage to shape.

I must admit this is not my favourite part of the build as I dislike sanding. its too easy to either not take off enough material or even worse to go to far! still has to be done.

Here is another posed photo off the build so far.

image.jpeg

Much appreciated Cliff, they don't come cheap,

I did a large set for a Decathlon, and must have used 7 or 8 decal sheets which is costly too

Blow the expense, we are not going out anywhere so treat the Dan Air York.

An aside was in my very early 20s I worked between here and Spain flying out and back Dan Air colours on the DH Comet !

The Turboprop route was then BEA Vickers Vanguard on the home domestic route

Edited By Denis Watkins on 04/04/2020 15:54:16

I might just do that Denis, 

it would be really helpful to have all the windows thinking about it.

We have fathers day coming up so I can always hint lol.

I still have the electric set up to buy and that comes in at over £160 .

Frightening how the cost of models escalates!

At least i have some air retracts that fit and I have made my own legs so that is nearly£180 saved.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 04/04/2020 16:57:20

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided to modify the nacelles slightly from the plan. As shown on the plan the underside looks like this,

img_20200419_114226.jpg

I assume the sharp step near the front is designed to represent the radiator shutters in the open position?

I have done mine like this which I think more closely resembles the correct shape.

img_20200419_114235.jpg

york.jpg

I will then add the shutters later from thin balsa or card.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a little time sorting out fitting the hardware into the fuselage. I have tried to get it in under the wing mounting so it is all near the CG and easy for access.

The two circles between the servos are the quick release connections for the air lines to the wing for the U/C

img_0240.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have spent a couple of evenings getting all the fins and rudders fitted and blended in.

I have also fitted up the linkages for the working outer rudders. I have managed to get quite a straight drive with very short linkages. Quite pleased how it operates. Apologies again for the sideways pictures!

img_0280.jpg

img_0281.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A big day today in progress of the York, the power set arrived from 4 Max and very nice it is to.

I was unsure about hoe to get the cruciform mounts fitted located on the firewalls correctly, I should have known that Tony would have for-seen this issue. The holes in the firewalls is exactly the same as the ones in the mounts so it was simplicity itself to locate them with a drill bit.

img_0283.jpg

img_0284.jpg