T N Avro York

Here she is after a taxi around my garden tonight. I have cut a hatch in the top and made and fitted a battery tray inside so that the cg is as shown on the plan.

She certainly does not seem lacking in power, giving a real pull at full throttle.

img_0286.jpg

img_0289.jpg

As can be seen I have made a start on covering the fuselage.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ray,

I was hoping to have test flown it by now but work and weather have had other ideas!

I normally test fly my electric models in the bare balsa in case any modifications or alterations prove necessary but as I have not been able to I have done some of the fuselage. Fingers crossed for the maiden!

I took her to the club yesterday but decided not to fly her as it was too windy! I did try some taxi tests which went ok but I did find the tail wheel was not very effective as she had her tail up pretty quickly.

She accelerates well so all looks good for the power set up.

Family duties for the next few days so wont be up the field for a while. You watch the weather be glorious now!

Having had another look at my homemade undercarriage I have decided that it is far to stiff. There is no flex in it at all and I am worried that landing shocks will be placed on the mounting structure. I will replace the legs with ones with coiled springs in them so they are on order. Maiden will have to wait a little longer now.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update,

Progress on the York is on hold at the moment as I am having to readdress some of my modeling due to Imminent redundancy and having to search for new employment at the age of 62!

I am in the middle of selling off some of my lesser used models and equipment.

One of our contingency plans calls for selling our house and downsizing somewhat to be mortgage free but this might mean no workshop!

This is not where I wanted to be at this stage of my life but no doubt We will get through it.

So nice to think that this is the thanks we get from our employer for all the extra work and overtime we put in during Covid to cover missing staff and extra workload.

A choice made somewhere by some accountant to save a bit of money!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted by Cliff Bastow on 05/09/2020 12:20:39:

Just a quick update,

Progress on the York is on hold at the moment as I am having to readdress some of my modeling due to Imminent redundancy and having to search for new employment at the age of 62!

I am in the middle of selling off some of my lesser used models and equipment.

One of our contingency plans calls for selling our house and downsizing somewhat to be mortgage free but this might mean no workshop!

This is not where I wanted to be at this stage of my life but no doubt We will get through it.

So nice to think that this is the thanks we get from our employer for all the extra work and overtime we put in during Covid to cover missing staff and extra workload.

A choice made somewhere by some accountant to save a bit of money!

Sorry to hear this. Disgusting behaviour of your employer, that's the thanks you get for your loyalty, experience and hard work.

Goddam accountants, they know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

Hope you find somewhere better that appreciates it's employees and that you get to keep your workshop to keep creating your amazing models, the York looks fantastic!

• 2 months later...