DB Hurricane paint and finish.

Jon H

I am gradually edging closer to getting my half finished DB Hurricane on the table and getting it flying.

I bought the model probably 10 or 12 years ago in a half built state. After some faffing around i discovered the fuselage was bent, so i fixed that before covering the fuselage. I then stopped as there was no room in the hangar and i had issues with an engine choice and bunch of other projects i was working on getting in the way.

Now, i have finally decided what engine to use and although there is still no room in the hangar i have decided to press forward anyway.

My conundrum at the moment is which paint job shall i use? My model is a MkIIc with the cannons so it should be green and grey but i have done one of those before and fancy something different. I am not a fan of the burma paint schemes and Its not a sea hurricane so many of those paint jobs are out as well. its not got a vokes filter either so i cant do a desert camo on it.

This has lead me to the idea of painting it all silver as in the photo below. Is it scale? probably not, but i think it looks nice and even though the version in the photo is a IIb with no cannons i dont really think its going to matter.

So guess my question is do we think a silver Hurricane is an affront? and if not what paint shall i use as silver can be problematic to paint. If it is considered offensive, are there some colour options i missed?

thanks for the input guys. I had forgotten about the blue/gold one and it wore several variations of that scheme with different numbers and other details.

I just fancied something a little different from the norm and the russian scheme above got me thinking too.

As i still have plenty of hardware to sort before i get on to the paint i still have time to ponder but if i really get on with it i wont have long.

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 04/12/2019 09:52:32:

Forgive me for being a party pooper but isn't it illegal to display a swastika? I've noticed that on refurbished full sized BF109's & FW190's there isn't a complete swastika on them. Or is it only illegal in Germany?

Not in this country and I get irritated at people who leave the marking off because of some misplaced sense of outrage/offense/PC or whatever. The Germans must do as they see fit.

My late father and other family members were terribly ill treated by the Japanese during the war - to say nothing of other Japanese atrocities committed in China and elsewhere, yet we don't have a problem with the 'Rising Sun' that was the symbol of that terrible regime and is still in use today. Not a problem for the plastic kit manufacturers either.

Lest we forget.

Edited By Cuban8 on 04/12/2019 10:11:19

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 04/12/2019 09:52:32:

Forgive me for being a party pooper but isn't it illegal to display a swastika? I've noticed that on refurbished full sized BF109's & FW190's there isn't a complete swastika on them. Or is it only illegal in Germany?

They can be displayed in Germany on models but you have to provide specific proof that you are doing it for historical representation reasons with paperwork etc so, most dont bother. In the case of restored full size aircraft i think they leave them off as it makes life easier when displaying them across europe as a whole.

I will always put them on my models if its historically accurate to do so. Im not supporting what it represents, just trying to make a reasonably accurate representation of an actual aircraft.

However, the Finnish example is not the same and represents something totally different so i cant see a problem either way.

I like the silver and why not have a non standard scheme. The silver  mustang at RAF Hendon museum looks great. If you wanted to be very naughty a red white and black colour scheme reminiscent of the Chipmunk might be interesting! Or a black and white “winter camouflage”. I must admit I’m pleased I have minimised painting on my Chipmunk by using film this time 😊. I look forward to seeing it .

I would never have a Swastika on any of my models . For a start it’s still being used today as a modern day hate symbol by a number of groups and I would choose not to display it . I don’t believe leaving if off spoils historical models . I’m my view leaving it off shows some respect to those that have suffered under it. 

Edited By Tim Flyer on 04/12/2019 22:01:46

Have you considered a Russian scheme - your Yak might appreciate it!

There was one MkIIC used by the Finnish Airforce captured from the Russians if you could locate some pictures.

Re. not displaying a symbol on a scale model, it seems rather sensitive and counter to the aims of scale modelling. If anyone has strong feelings that portraying such a detail on their scale model shows any support for Nazism, then I would suggest that they shouldn't be building or flying any model of an aircraft used by such a regime.

Edited By Martin Harris on 04/12/2019 23:00:27

Gents i dont want this turning into a slagging match about nazi swastikas on models. Its a given that nobody here would support such a group so why worry about how a model is painted. The argument is also pretty flawed given the way other nations behaved during the war and yet we display their symbols without a 2nd thought so lets move it on to something else.

Martin, i like that very much. Many of the Russian schemes are rather drab but that one is quite nice. Another one for the pile

Some very nice colour options. This is one of my favourite aircraft, I lone the stringers on the fuselage. Very special if done right. Great flying aircraft as well. I do think that some pictures of the airframe need to be posted just to help get the creative juices flowing!

I was given a framed up DB Hurricane a few years ago but it is very rough. Some insperation needed to see if it can be saved so I will be watching to see if the progress here will help!

I have been meaning to get the beast assembled on the table and get some photos up. Last night i got distracted playing computer games embarrassed

Not that anyone can blame me, with a Spitfire, P38 and P39 to play with and 109's, 190's and 110's to attack what was i to do? they wont shoot themselves down will they??

As for your rough cut Hurri mine was the same with some of it done well and some...not so well. I think i am the 3rd builder to have a crack at it.

One mod i did make was to shove the cowling forward about half an inch. I then cut off the part of the cowling that contained the front part of the wing fairing and did this in balsa instead. I think it looks much better but you guys can judge for yourself when i get the photos up.

Doing a little research on the silver Hurricane some of them apparently flew with polished metal and silver dope. That could be interesting but i am not sure how much doing metal foil on the wings and forward fuselage would impact rx performance. I dont want it to fly off on its own!

Andy, i have a P40 to build at some stage and that one is earmarked for a RAF desert camo. I just cant resist the sharks mouth

SR71, that stuff looks good but its not cheap. I was wondering what i could achieve with the cheapest foil i can find in sainsburys but again i wasnt sure about what it would do to the radio and compound curves are also a concern

the compound curve bit is going to be a challenge if i use kitchen foil or the self adhesive stuff and it was one of the factors that put me off doing it. As for the radio, i dont know how much foil it would take to make a meaningful difference to the signal so i am more or less guessing. Its possible it would not be a problem at all

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 05/12/2019 14:08:43

Its not just silver models. My blue/grey La7 and my dark grey sea fury melt into the background when the light is right. My old Green/Grey camo Hurricane did the same.

On more than one occasion i have found myself flying little more than a red cowl/spinner in the case of the la7 and a yellow spinner with 2 red roundel dots on the sea fury. You get used to it after a while but its always a shock the first time!

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 05/12/2019 11:02:15:

Andy, i have a P40 to build at some stage and that one is earmarked for a RAF desert camo. I just cant resist the sharks mouth

SR71, that stuff looks good but its not cheap. I was wondering what i could achieve with the cheapest foil i can find in sainsburys but again i wasnt sure about what it would do to the radio and compound curves are also a concern

Jon

Take a look at what Danny Fenton said on his Hawker Nimrod thread on using foils

Look for his post of 27 Nov at 1113 Hours a bit lower down on the page