What make is this

Erfolg

My toilet flush system seems to have a issue. After flushing it shuts the water of at a certain level. Although it does not consistently do this, from time to time, it continues to pass a very small amount, allowing water to fill up and over the overflow pipe.

wp_20191221_13_54_41_pro.jpg

What appears to be the level control on the left, has been disassembled by me.

It twists about a 1/4 turn to remove the top assembly. Inside are two flat washers that I think affect a seal. In the centre there is what appears to be a diaphragm washer/seal.

All appear to be in good condition. Being approx 3 years old.

I did find what appears to be tiny flecks of either dirt or perhaps rubber. I have cleaned these of/out, from the washers and chambers. I put a light smear of Vaseline on the various sealing surfaces. On reflection I am not sure that this is really a good idea.

At present it appears to be sealing.

I am now concerned about the future, as I suspect in the longer term the diaphragm washer will require replacement. Not having any idea of the make or type of flushing system, Buying with confidence is an issue. Plus there is an issue in that the central unit seems to have various wheels for adjustment, but of what, and what is supposed to happen, I have no idea.

Can anyone help?

I can't be absolutely certain from the photos, but it could well be a Geberit unit. I recently had similar problems and sourced spares from Fix the Bog, who I have used on several occasions.

One advantage is they have photos of all the parts which makes identification easier. If in doubt replace all the washers/diaphragms, which is easy enough. Replacing the entire unit may require removing the cistern to access the fixing nuts underneath, not always easy to reseat and reseal the cistern, especially if the plumber has installed it in the time honoured fashion with lashings of silicon sealant smeared over all the gaskets and seals!

Good Luck

Edited By BackinBlack on 21/12/2019 15:01:07

Thanks for replying

Are they all the same though?

To replace the unit would require the bowl part, unscrewing then sliding foreword, it also looks like the cistern part would need separating from the bowl. I am not certain though.

I have my fingers crossed, as at the moment it is behaving itself. It could be the black stuff that was the issue, then again.indecision

These modern systems, with the refill controlled by a float sliding up the plastic column, seem to be prone to this, certainly here in France. They are a pain - I've had to replace mine and an elderly neighbour's.You could try sanding off any excess flashing on the guide part of the shaft to make sure it has as little resistance as possible. Glueing a small block of EPS to the float might overcome the lack of oomph in the, what seems to me, marginally-sized float.

I don't think they have anything like the reliability and longevity of the lever-arm ballcock system. Progress, eh?crook

Pete

My flush unit- one of the "Clack" valve type, not siphon worked well for about 18 months then leaked as yours does occasionally. After changing it and still having problems I found the tube from the unit to the bowl was about half an inch too long going into the bowl, putting a strain on the valve. I cut it back and has been perfect since.

John

You have my sympathy Erfolg having recently been in a not dissimilar position with a downstairs/cloakroom WC.

Is this 2019-20 or 1819-20 I ask myself? We have 3 WC (Bathroom, ensuite and the cloakroom), no two feature the same mechanisms inside, even though they are all modern(?) 'push-button' low level types. When they require maintenance, go to the plumbers merchants ' Nah mate, haven't done those for years you need ...' .... Argh!!!!

As you have already discovered, even a trace of a calcium deposit, seems to upset these delicate mechanisms.

Why is it so difficult to design a simple WC innards that features common, readily available components to service as required? Instead it seems throw away and fit a new (now different), unit everytime.

I eventually fixed our WC after draining and scrupulously cleaning the inside of the loft water tank. (We live an a hard water area unfortunately). Removed the 'left and right-hand' parts and renewed, plus running numerous flush load through the system to purge of any remaining impurities/calcium particles.

Fingers crossed all is well until the next failure. Which unit will that be I wonder, no doubt now obsolete!!!