Web Cam?

SIMON CRAGG

We are in the process of obtaining a stand alone web cam for use at our remote flying site.

Apart from security, members will be able to log in via an app on their smart phone, to see what the conditions are like, and if anybody else is at the patch. Especially useful for our learners to see if an instructo is about to help etc. Has anybody else got one of these on site? Is there anything to be aware of?. I have contacted the BMFA to establsh if there are any privacy issues etc. Cost about £300 total.

Posted by FlyinBrian on 08/02/2020 11:12:12:

The main problem will be to stop it getting nicked or vandalised.

Agreed our site has had problems with stuff being nicked , shot with airguns or just smashed up . A great tool if you can disguise its location from local yobs . What is the power source etc that you are going to use ?

Ours is just about to be installed.
Its concealed in a small nest box and the plan is to power it from a truck battery supported by a solar panel.
It takes a picture at a predefined interval, currently ten minutes, and uploads it to a website. It also displays the current voltage, temperature and humidity.

We've had one for years, its main use is to allow others to see who is at the field. It does take snaps of the occasional yob who finds our field but you'd have to know the individual to recognise someone though.

We have seen people up there and the nearest member has scrambled out there to scare them off, they've normally gone by the time he gets there.

We did run off ours from a small solar panel glued to the roof, this worked fine until the yobs climbed on the roof and smashed it. We now rely on a bigger panel that is carried out and back in each time a member is at the field. Admittedly we lose all the sunlight from windy days but we're not prepared to give the yobs another chance.

The panel is linked to a regulator and then two large leisure batteries. This runs the mobile phone web cam and the hut lights. These are LED and movement activated as members kept leaving lights on and running the batteries flat.

The old mobile phone looks out through a very small hole in the corner of the hut looking out over the pits and car park, it's linked to our club web site so anyone can view it (suspicious wives, everyone! ) It updates every few minutes during the day.

All in all I think it's seen as a positive addition and well worth the initial teething problems.

Sorry to be a wet blanket - but presumably you do know that this has implications for GDPR (Data Protection Law)?

If you take photos of identifiable people in this way you must have a prominent notice to say "CCTV in Operation on this site", which rather negates the benefits of hiding the camera, and could be interpreted to indicate that there are potentially items worth stealing if protected by CCTV.

You could get the consent of members to allow this, but it would not cover visitors, or even intruders on to the site.

We plan to focus a camera purely on the windsock which is only up when members are on site, but would also indicate if there was fog or mist even if no-one is present.

Edited By Romeo Whisky on 09/02/2020 11:38:44

Posted by Romeo Whisky on 09/02/2020 11:36:53:

Sorry to be a wet blanket - but presumably you do know that this has implications for GDPR (Data Protection Law)?

If you take photos of identifiable people in this way you must have a prominent notice to say "CCTV in Operation on this site", which rather negates the benefits of hiding the camera, and could be interpreted to indicate that there are potentially items worth stealing if protected by CCTV.

You could get the consent of members to allow this, but it would not cover visitors, or even intruders on to the site.

We plan to focus a camera purely on the windsock which is only up when members are on site, but would also indicate if there was fog or mist even if no-one is present.

Edited By Romeo Whisky on 09/02/2020 11:38:44

Do the same regulations apply if the camera only relays live images with no recording is being made ?

Posted above by PatMc

" Do the same regulations apply if the camera only relays live images with no recording is being made ? "

I think you'll find that the problem is capturing personal data (in this case an image) without the subject's knowledge and consent and relaying it anywhere where it can be viewed by a third party. You would not be able to control whether the third party records it or not in any case. But don't rely on my opinion - if you Google "GDPR" and check out the rules re CCTV on the Data Protection website you'll get the full facts.

Different rules for Organisations and Individuals. As an individual you can mount use and record CCTV almost anywhere you like, providing there is no invasion of private space not belonging to you, e.g. don't point it at you neighbours bedroom windows.

There are rules for organisations regading how long you may keep recordings etc and who may view them. An assessment of need and a policy for use have to be in place. For monitoring the private space ( and even Public space outwith) of a Clubs facilities, the use of CCTV and remote monitoring should be of little concern to the GDPR police. If there are real concerns, then a couple of paragraphs added to the Club Constitution/Rules would suffice to allay the fears of those who insist on being "legal".

Posted by Romeo Whisky on 09/02/2020 14:38:25:

Posted above by PatMc

" Do the same regulations apply if the camera only relays live images with no recording is being made ? "

I think you'll find that the problem is capturing personal data (in this case an image) without the subject's knowledge and consent and relaying it anywhere where it can be viewed by a third party. You would not be able to control whether the third party records it or not in any case. But don't rely on my opinion - if you Google "GDPR" and check out the rules re CCTV on the Data Protection website you'll get the full facts.

I take your point, RW, but if the webcam only relayed still images taken at intervals, as many do, I think that would serve the purposes of the club(s) & probably not infringe the regulations.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted by MAD Dave on 08/02/2020 18:38:48:

FAO Fun Flyer, sounds like you have an ideal set up. I would be most grateful if you could let us know what set up and hardware you employ etc.

Hi MAD Dave. Sorry for the slow reply but, as you probably know, real life has a habit of sometimes taking over.

The rig was thought up by my son, I just do the woodwork, so I don't have a lot of technical detail.

Briefly, its made up of a camera, a Rasberry Pi and the guts of a mobile phone which takes the SIM card.
Its all housed in one of these weatherproof boxes from Homebase.

20200306_174506.jpg

2019-09-22 20.44.16.jpg

Then its fitted inside what is supposed to look like a nesting box.

20191209_160901.jpg

20191209_160941.jpg

Thats the camera on the bottom in the middle.
Then a ply sheet is fitted to the front to complete the disguise.

2020-01-25 17.54.30.jpg

Then paint the whole thing matt black to make it look as unattractive and inconspicous as possible.

20200302_103752.jpg

It all seems to work fine. I haven't installed it on our field yet as like everyone else I'm waiting for the weather to improve.

Edited By Fun Flyer on 08/03/2020 14:36:15