2 or 3 questions please, need some wise advice

It is perhaps worth remembering that the motor is made of metal and circulates air within itself so the temperature you feel on its outside is representative of that within.

An ESC has no moving parts and the heat is generated within small plastic coated components so it has had to travel though a layer of plastic to even get to the heat sink. Then to make matters worse in many cases the entire ESC is covered in a thick plastic shrink wrap. smile o

The temperature you feel on the outside of that bears little resemblance to the actual temperature of the working part of the electronics even if they can withstand temperatures of over 100 C. There may be less heat generated in an ESC than a motor but its exit path is considerably more restricted.

"It pays to pay attention to ESC cooling".wink 2

Thanks Simon.

The route I have is for the ESC to be facing 'flat-side-on' to a major air stream via the gap around the motor and independently, a large hole pretending to be a radiator inlet bit like a Tiger Moth and it's inverted engine. It will be stood-off from the mounting surface. Can be seen in the first picture.

Air out will be a hole under the lot in the motor nose on the underside to vent everything.

Loom all done this afternoon. The loom in the Stol was a pain a few years ago, but a fresh big iron and some rosin cored solder from 4-Max and it all came together well. All soldered points are heat shrinked to keep things safe.

Run out of 1/4" balsa sheet so yet another trip to Penn Models.

I've just installed a Spektrum AR410 rx in a vintage job, very compact and light (7 grams!), no aerials and dead easy to set up and bind.

mines mounted on the cabin bulkhead so it can "see out", think there around £23.

Addlestone models have them in stock if that helps?

Edited By paul d on 04/03/2020 07:32:51

My Bucaneer had an interesting life.

On its maiden flight with an HP VT four stroke three of us took turns flying it and the last person got it very high and well down wind. Then the engine stopped. I only just managed to get it back to the field.

Then on another flight I had problems with the engine cutting. After about four attemps it was sorted and took off. Just one slight snag...the radio was switched off!!!

I was kanken up inthe land downers Tiger Moth to try and find it but no luck.

I reported it o the local model shop and radio station and everyone else.

Two weeks later a farmer called. His man had found it the next morning in a field and it had been in his barn ever since.

Needless to say large rewards all round.

Thank you Paul, sounds good!

the Rex and servos arrived today, 36 hours after ordering them!

will post a few pics when the lot is all sorted out.

Bit bothered that the line from the servos to the controlled surfaces is far from straight. Each will need a big goggle drop down from the servo crank to the near bottom of the fuselage to allow the links to exit under the elevator and rudder. Suppose it will all be fine.

Another thing is the battery has a 4 pin connection, the Rx batt position has only 3 pins.

Hope George can help.

A question on covering please:

Before I glue the tail plane to the fuselage should I cover it?

It looks to be a complex run of shapes and directions to make and could be clumsy to do on the plane.

Should I cover and add the elevator/rudder/bell cranks and then ensure I have balsa to balsa for the glue faces

p1080227.jpgp1080228.jpgp1080230.jpgp1080231.jpgGetting closer..

p1080233.jpg

Added the radio parts to the frame for fit and all the connections. Bit awkward and very fiddly but got there.

Found out (ie remembered) that the 4 pin plug on the battery is to charge it...and now done.

All wires a bit too long to allow easier access to wire up in the cabin, but I'm ok with it all.

Next up is the RX/TX binding and then test all works well while I can get at everything.

Cabin windows, final fitting of the radio and then the part I'm dreading, the covering.

Yet another question!

When my plane is on the level floor, the nose seems very high and presents the wing at quite an angle (20 deg), not sure of the correct term, but Junior 60's seem to sit far flatter to the ground. Is the angle critical?

This plane below has 1/2 the incidence angle of my Buccaneer.

20190621_153659[1].jpg

Edited By 911hillclimber on 08/03/2020 17:29:07

Edited By 911hillclimber on 08/03/2020 17:37:03

Lovely neat work! Don't worry about the way it sits, as mentioned she'll lift her tail.in about 10 feet and fly off.

Your best to cover everything separately, Less chance of warps creeping in, I know your going electric but that really does need a noisy smelly diesel up front but that's just me please ignore!!

Thank you all for your help and comments!

I feel I'm making progress every time I spend some time on this delightful plane. Amazing how things build up from a few strips of wood and a plan. Keeps the brain cell I have left exercised.....

I would love to have a 4 stroke in the plane, but what a mess, but nothing like I just about remember from my Enya and PAW and Frog days back in the mid 60's.

My last plane I flew on the village park was a Ladybird and a KK Marquis (I think) which was a control line model.

rode to the park with the plane strapped to my bike.

rosey glasses days, fabulous and obviously never forgotten.

I hope my first flights Ina few months will bring a smile!

Sorry this thread has stretched out to a build thread but it all adds to the enjoyment.

If you glue a tex or film covered surface, the surface will fail. Bloke died many years ago on Hamstead Heath, when a Wot4, minus it's tail hit him.

cover the tail, trial fit it, scribe the fit, and cut the covering a millimetre inside, so the cut is hiddden.

Them the joint is wood to wood.

Frustrating few hours today.

windows in no problem, but cannot get the radio to work. No motor response, have one servo ding elevator other seems alive but no control. Wish there was a factory re set of the settings!

hate this kind of stuff. Best leave it for a while and try again....

If you give the details of your radio setup I am sure someone will give the info needed. First are the Rx and TX both DSMX ? ( we know it's Spektrum and this is a known compatibility problem DSM2 to DSMX )