Whippish

Outrunner

• 2 months later...

Well, I hung my Whippish up and it hung at about 13-14 degrees so I left it at that. Lockdown now eased I ventured down the field today to give it a go. The wind was a very light breeze gusting up slightly then dropping to nothing again, nice warm day about 24C.

It was partly successful in that I didn't break anything but apart from a couple of short hops I did not get very far. The biggest issue was getting the blades to spin fast enough and preventing a roll to the left. I had most success by waiting for a gust of wind to spin the blades whilst still stationary then going forward into the breeze and taking a short hop. Most of the times I just got a roll to the left. I understand that this is the blades not spinning fast enough.

If it was a fixed wing tail dragger I would be holding up elevator to keep the tail on the ground but I'm not sure if I can do the same thing with an autogyro.

I did panic on one of the hops as it turned right towards a ploughed field and I just backed of the throttle and down it came and stayed upright.

Not sure where to go from here, is the model poorly setup or is the pilot doing the wrong thing? Probably both.

Phil.Whippish RTF.jpg

Edited By Outrunner on 20/05/2020 18:51:33

Phil,

My gut feeling is its just your technique, we have all been there.

Firstly, I would make sure your blades will autorotate and check nothing is binding etc, hold the model up into wind and tip it back slightly (do this with the radio turned on). If all is as it should be they will spin up, when at full RPM they whistle and the model pulls hard.

If all is ok its just practice at taking off.

With the model sat into wind give the blades a good flick in the right direction and tilt them back as far as they will go. They should start to accelerate, if not just start to creep forwards at no more than a walking pace. As they speed up you can gently neutralise the pitch and it should lift off when ready. Any signs of a left roll is always not enough blade speed.

I have always found it easier to start the take off run downwind from where your standing so the blades are more likely to be up to speed when its closer to you, easier to see what's going on.

Hope that makes sense?

Rich

Hi Rich

Thank you for your reply. I did hold model up into wind and the blades did spin up and whistle, although they did shake a bit when spinning up. Not sure if this is normal.

I will try your suggestion, I think I was accelerating too quickly and running out of runway, I will try moving forward slowly with backstick as suggested and from a downwind start position.

Phil.

• 1 year later...

Well after 18 months I finally got down the airfield with my Whippish again! The photo below may not be very remarkable but it was taken just after my first ever landing with an autogyro!! I think I might have cracked it at last after many attempts, just to convince myself that it wasn't a fluke I had a further 2 flights and landings only stopping when the battery retaining strap came loose and needs workshop attention.

I still haven't managed to take off from the runway as I couldn't get the rotors up to speed with very little breeze. I held the model vertical to get the rotors going and then when up to speed launched with about half throttle, went away beautifully. The only issue I have is pitching up with power on. I've added 50 grams of nose weight (before this flight) and screwed the rotor plate pushrods in a couple of turns.

I can't wait to get down the field again and have another go, it was great fun and I was so pleased when I managed a landing.

Whipish 2.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Rich. I had second thoughts about screwing in the pushrods so I've put them back how they were and added some more down thrust with a couple of washers as suggested.

I was really very happy when I did my first landing after all these years. I just need to get back out again and fly some more but the weather is looking a bit rough for the next few days, I will not to leave years between flights again?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The weather was very calm this morning although very dull and overcast and a bit cool so it's time for another autogyro flight. There was hardly a breath of, not enough to get the rotors spinning so it was back to hand launching. I waited for a puff of breeze holding Whippish behind my head I managed to get the blades swishing with a bit of a run, half throttle and a gentle throw an off she went! I flew for a about 5 or 6 minutes of mainly right hand circuits with a couple of even shakier left circuits trying not to favour one way or other. and then in for a landing, it was greaser! Beginners luck I think.

Having really enjoyed the first flight I took a couple of minutes break then off for another flight. There was now a very gentle breeze down the strip so full back stick and off I went blades picking up speed, then after easing off the back stick with a short delay Whippish lifted off!! My first ROG with an autogyro! I was having fun. Trouble was I was quite a distance away now so I turned back towards myself and started to fly back but I think I let the rotors slow down too much and she went in nose first from about 25 feet up.

The damage was not too bad, broken prop, motor undercart and firewall detached as a unit, battery box smashed. The blades and head was undamaged. 

I've started sticking the bits back together again and should be back in the air again very soon ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've stuck Whippish back together again, now just waiting for the weather to calm down a bit and we will go back down to the field

At 395mm from tip to bolthole I've always suspected that my rotor blades are a little of the short side so with all this workshop time a new set is in the making. I've not decided yet how long to make them so at present they are 560mm long by 60mm wide. Far too long I know but I will cut them down to length later when I've decided how long. I'm thinking about 520mm unless I can be better advised?

Whippish 1.jpg

Whippish 2.jpg

Outrunner,

Blade length is generally based on your models weight and how you want it to fly, to give you something to compare against one of my originals weighed around 950g ready to go and the blades measured 65mm wide x 430mm. That's using my own profile with a sharp lower LE.

You have probably seen this video, its the German version with black blades flying on the park in front of the house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lbTqPxVIB8&t=115s

Rich

Rich Thank you for your advice it's very welcome especially from the designer?

My model weighs about 900 grams so slightly light than your German version. I'm looking for nice docile flight whilst I try to get more stick time and not breaking it too much. I'm thinking of cutting them at about 500mm long, unless you think that is too big? What is the effect if blades are too long?

I enjoyed your video, you fly your model really well, all down to your great design skills, thanks for sharing.

Also a bit off topic I've sent you a pm on RC groups as I like the look of your Mantis design and would like to obtain a plan.

Phil

• 5 months later...

Well it's about time I posted an update. I took my Whippish out for a fly a couple of weeks ago and a wheel fell off on the take off run? Back to the workshop. Nothing serious it was just where I failed to solder on the brass tube wheel axle on properly. That sorted it was a nice calm morning if a little dull. Once again failed to take off from the ground as there was virtually no wind at ground level, so hand launch it was, the blades spun up nicely holding the model behind me, a few paces, power on and and a gentle throw. Away she went. When my nerves calmed down I realised that she was in trim and flying nicely. I had a couple of landings and re-launches just to prove it wasn't a fluke. 

I really enjoyed the flight and I think I'm getting the hang of this autogyro business now, it's not difficult just different. 

I did make some longer blades but also built another Rich Harris design, the Mantis to fit them on! The Mantis has not been flown yet I just want to get more stick time on the Whippish first.

Whippish.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for your support Rich, I will follow your advice and keep flying my Whippish as much as I can hopefully not breaking it again too soon! My Mantis is staying in the hanger for a while yet.

Thanks also for sharing your fantastic designs.

Well    Mr Outrunner.. It appears as if you have come to grips with these Autogyro thingys  and as you tell us "just different).

Yes they sure are ,and what a pleasure they can be .I read and understand you problem with an ROG and sometimes the model can be far off before we see the rotor up to speed and by then the orientation can be hard to pick up, and that is why I hand launch most of my models because you will see, hear and feel the rotors working prior to gently pushing the model up and away.The Mantis is a very good second step and if you can fly you current model ,the Mantis is just as easy.

I have found this as my "go to model" over the years and it is a joy to fly. It is light and rugged and can take a bit of a 'thumping"?

This model is very suitable for hand launching.

Just take a look at the following video ...easy as .

Happy Landings

Chris...

Edited by Chris Dowell

Hi Chris, thank you for your kind words of encouragement from down under. I plan to get much more flying time with my Whippish until the Mantis comes out of the hanger. Another issue I have is that I've made the undercarriage legs a bit short or splayed them in the crashes and consequently the prop cuts the grass! Hand launching the Whippish is very easy so I'm happy to keep on throwing it for the time being.

Thank you for the link to your very interesting and helpful video, I've seen more of your videos, please keep them they are all very informative.

Keep on rotating!