Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?

Our Club has just decided to close the field until Easter in view of the Corona virus outbreak.. Given the majority of club our members are of a certain age and a number have health issues of some kind or other, I can't disagree with that decision too much. Better safe than sorry and the weather is not exactly conducive to model flying anyway.

I'm no expert but I'm inclined to disagree.

It's outdoors in the fresh air. Modellers don't normally cuddle each other, so as long as everyone keeps a reasonable distance, they should be fine. Probably safer at the field than going shopping or to the garden centre with Mrs Modeller.

We have cancelled our monthly meetings until May.

Like your club Dai, we are also of a certain age or rapidly approaching it in my case.

Though we have not been able to fly much as the weather just not suitable at the present.

It just means that we have more time to build.

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 12/03/2020 18:35:31

At the moment our flying activities are being treated as normal (that is, we can't fly because of the bad weather), so if an opportunity arrives we get out and fly. However we are a small club and unless arranged it is very rare for there to be more than a couple of us at the field at the same time.

It is though, the month for our club AGM. The committee (all 3 of us) decided that this year we would postpone it to a time when the situation has calmed down a bit. It won't make any difference. The club is still solvent and nobody wants to be on the committee anyway !

My club cancelled last nights indoor meeting which seems reasonable, but I hope they keep the field open so we can get out in the fresh air soon. If we fly we should not handle other peoples gear - Tx, tools etc etc if at all possible - as a sensible precaution as well as standing well apart when chatting.

All i can say about is Don't panic mr mainwaring!

A bit of common sence is all that is required wash hands etc and if any cough cold type symptoms , self isolate to protect others and go flying if no symptoms, as that will proberly be the safest place to be out in the middle of a field in the fresh air and away from the masses.

I can fully understand clubs cancelling/postponing AGMS, indoor meetings, etc.

But surely keeping the field open would make more sense, and allowing members to make their own decisions about the risks of attending in the open air. That's assuming we get any flyable weather this side of Christmas...

I think it’s pointless and over restrictive closing our field . Unless people have tiny fields and crowded pits, surely members can be relied on to keep enough distance between each other and maintain personal hygiene . I guess at some clubs members may have trouble restraining themselves😉

Posted by Gary Manuel on 12/03/2020 18:25:43:

I'm no expert but I'm inclined to disagree.

It's outdoors in the fresh air. Modellers don't normally cuddle each other, so as long as everyone keeps a reasonable distance, they should be fine. Probably safer at the field than going shopping or to the garden centre with Mrs Modeller.

Absolutely! Nothing better than being out in the fresh air.

Also, if people have health conditions and don't want to risk it - then they don't go!

As I understand it, the precautions involve avoiding being coughed or sneezed at, and avoiding virus transmission via hard surfaces. There should be very little risk at a flying session, closing the field seems melodramatic. I always carry a pack of disinfectant wipes to clean my hands before my coffee and biccy, and when I go to the field tomorrow I shall use them after handling the field gate. Avoid someone else handling your model or transmitter, take some wipes or cleaning gel, and the risk should be neglegable. I'm sure my visit to the supermarket today was far more dangerous!

Our local club field is not usable at the moment due to it being too wet and too soft underfoot. However, it will probably (hopefully) be usable in the next couple of weeks.

As a club, we will not voluntarily be closing the field. People will be free to come or stay away from the field as they see fit. . Most are eager to start using the field again, and are looking forward to happily inhaling some fresh exhaust fumes. wink

Touching: We are not football players so we don't engage in idiotic, excited, unbridled kissing and cuddling every time someone performs a decent landing. thinking

B.C.

Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 12/03/2020 18:20:10:

Our Club has just decided to close the field until Easter in view of the Corona virus outbreak.. Given the majority of club our members are of a certain age and a number have health issues of some kind or other, I can't disagree with that decision too much. Better safe than sorry and the weather is not exactly conducive to model flying anyway.

What a quaint idea. Are you going to stop going out and isolate yourselves? The flying field is probably the least dangerous place to be provided you keep upwind of those coughing and sneezing and 2 mtrs from them.

I'm thinking of proposing a ban at our club on electric powered models for the duration of the crisis in favour of the much derided glow engined models, the fuel for which is of course alcohol based and must therefore give a level of protection to users, bathing them and bystanders in a miasma of protective vapours...

wink

When our patch dries out enough to get our cars on and off I will definitely be going flying again - BUT no handshakes ( I've never ever seen a man-hug up there so that's never going to be a problem! ). Regrettably that'll be the end of our breakfast meetings for a while tho' I guess. But realistically 8 or 10 old guys in the middle of 8 or 10 acres of Shropshire countryside a public health risk do not make. Similarly, a few fishermen strung out around a mile of reservoir bank are unlikely to put one another, or anybody else, at risk. Both activities should be viewed in a positive light, the benefits of the feeling of wellbeing after a session means a marginal (at least!) improvement in your resistance to infections - that would equally apply to a decent walk, perhaps not in a big group though.

We have a monthly club meeting, and are in the process of cancelling it for this month, then see how things are. Given that the majority of our members are of an age , that are susceptible to getting it and would be very ill or worse. The committee have taken the decision.

WE are going flying this afternoon if the forecasts are correctand the wind drops a bit more.

If it is OK for 60,000 people to cram together to watch horse racing and crowds to rush round stocking up on toilet rolls, I am quite sure it will be safe for half a dozen people out in a huge field.

If this is the state we are getting into all I can say is I am 82, STOP THE WORLD. I WANTO GET OFF

And it you  want some really light relief see my thread "Insanity seem to be setting in" and have a really good laugh

Edited By Peter Miller on 13/03/2020 08:50:37

I think the same as you Peter. My local club, Wareham, Dorset , has suspended meetings until further notice. I can agee with that , being stuck inside hall!!!! . I dont know about the patch yet, as I have only joined recently and am finding contact difficult. Surely as has been said as long as we keep the kissing and cuddling to a minimun, out in the open should be fairly safe. I to am in the at risk catergory but we cant shut off totally from life can we !!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way thanks for your help with Li'l cub and SELS

Barry

Closing the flying site seems a bit bonkers.

OTOH if your monthly get together is inside a pub, that's the kind of thing we're being (fairly sensibly I think) advised to cut down on.

"One has to wonder whether glow fuel would be an effective disinfectant too?"

I believe methanol 70% water 30% is a pretty potent antiviral solution. The water is important apparently, it helps get the alcohol into the viral structure. Neat methanol obviously not so great for you as a whole though!

That hand sanitiser stuff is essentially the same mix with isopropranol instead of methanol. But, by the same token - have you seen the price of isopropanol lately!?

Edited By Nigel R on 13/03/2020 09:08:46

Like most clubs, the ones down here in sunny (HA!) Devon have been affected far more by the weather than by coronavirus! I'm suffering severe withdrawal symptoms! If and when the weather ever does improve, I think it would take something like bubonic plague to stop us from flying!

Having said that, another club I belong to - nothing to do with model flying - holds weekly meetings in the back room of a local pub/eatery. Its a popular dining venue, and usually packed out. Last night there were less than a dozen patrons in there when we arrived, and when we left around 9:30, it was completely empty!

Sign of the times?

--

Pete