Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?

We are going to get this virus hit us over the next few weeks, Prime ministers do not tell their nation that `some of us will lose loved ones` lightly. We are behind some other countries in Europe but if you have Facebook take a look at this **LINK** you can see how bad it could be! We all have to make our own decisions but i will be limiting my trips to work and essential as i have an 85 year old mother living with my wife and i.

Posted by Nigel R on 13/03/2020 09:07:53:......................

I believe methanol 70% water 30% is a pretty potent antiviral solution. The water is important apparently, it helps get the alcohol into the viral structure. Neat methanol obviously not so great for you as a whole though!

Edited By Nigel R on 13/03/2020 09:08:46

In that case the answer is simple - go and fly your IC powered models in the rain.

Dick

Posted by Steve J on 13/03/2020 10:41:05:

What are you going to do after Easter when covid-19 rates are higher than they were when you made this decision?

Yes. it is probably best to get the virus as soon as you can while there are still doctors and other medical equipment available.

Dick

Posted by ron evans on 13/03/2020 11:11:39:

I don't think using methanol as a hand wash is a good idea.

Read something years ago which said methanol is absorbed though the skin, and prolonged exposure could cause dementia.

From what I hear, mass dementia has already arrived.

As to losing loved ones...well all mine have already gone so no worries there.

Clubs and especially BMFA need to consider that if the prophets of doom ( I nearly typed profits of doom- a real Freudian slip!) are correct then club membership will decline sharply.

But lets hope it is just a massive overreaction just like the Year 2000/ Milleniium bug thing. ( massive precautions for something that never really happened, that nobody under 20 nowadays will understand )

Closing the flying field is stupid, reading face book and thinking its gospel stupid, this is flu which has always killed people. Carry on with your life and stop listening to the scare mongers in the press and social media, this has just replaced brexit or there would be nothing to report on.

If your scared stop at home cuddling your multi pack of toilet roll sat on you sack of dried pasta.

Our field won't be closing and our activity will remain unchanged, as will mine

Posted by kc on 13/03/2020 11:46:37:

Clubs and especially BMFA need to consider that if the prophets of doom ( I nearly typed profits of doom- a real Freudian slip!) are correct then club membership will decline sharply.

But lets hope it is just a massive overreaction just like the Year 2000/ Milleniium bug thing. ( massive precautions for something that never really happened, that nobody under 20 nowadays will understand )

The reason that the Millenium Bug had little effect was because of the huge amount of effort taken to rewrite software to overcome the problem not because it wasn't a problem.

Posted by Shaun Walsh on 13/03/2020 13:08:51:
Posted by kc on 13/03/2020 11:46:37:

The reason that the Millenium Bug had little effect was because of the huge amount of effort taken to rewrite software to overcome the problem not because it wasn't a problem.

I'll second that - 01/01/2000 there were lots of us in IT with tightly clenched buttocks praying that we hadn't missed anything.

Right now we can only hope that HM Gov. have chosen the right path for us. Never thought I'd see the day that I'd be backing Boris! We are lucky in that we are an island with a degree of isolation, and we are the western limit of Europe so we have the chance to learn from the experience of countries like Italy. It sure as sticky brown stuff ain't like flu, it's a different beast entirely.

Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 12/03/2020 18:20:10:

Our Club has just decided to close the field until Easter in view of the Corona virus outbreak.. Given the majority of club our members are of a certain age and a number have health issues of some kind or other, I can't disagree with that decision too much. Better safe than sorry and the weather is not exactly conducive to model flying anyway.

Utterly ludicrous. Shutting down the club for this reason is just panicking. As long as you don't go around licking each other on the flight line you should be fine.

Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 13/03/2020 13:41:08:
Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 12/03/2020 18:20:10:

Our Club has just decided to close the field until Easter in view of the Corona virus outbreak.. Given the majority of club our members are of a certain age and a number have health issues of some kind or other, I can't disagree with that decision too much. Better safe than sorry and the weather is not exactly conducive to model flying anyway.

Utterly ludicrous. Shutting down the club for this reason is just panicking. As long as you don't go around licking each other on the flight line you should be fine.

Damn, you can't beat a good licking

Well now, it seems our Club committee's decision to close the field is derided by most here. It's a shame that some of you feel the need to be so vociferous about it. I was only interested to know if your club has discussed it, or had any contingency plans.

Have they made the right decision? Well only time and events will tell.

Dai, it's because we don't like to be controlled.

I pay my subs and I will fly when I want.

There's been just too much dithering with the gov. No containment whatsoever! They were so many flights from Italy last Sunday with Italians escaping, no checks, they all just disappeared in the crowd.

This is a cull now, only the fittest will survive!

They want more people to catch it and recover so we have 'herd immunity'.

Edited By ASH. on 13/03/2020 16:43:10

Great day out flying today, very windy this morning but glorious sunshine and calm weather this afternoon. We avoided kissing, licking, cuddling, hugging each other, which for some (not me I hasten to add) was a big disappointment. Looks like Monday's shaping up to be another good 'un too.

Yeah we are going to run just as normal. People are free to whether to attend or not and stand where they choose. Our biggest problem where we are in Hertfordshire is a soggy field !
I really want to get out flying again soon!
Just found one of the LIFE RX batteries I bought last year and didn’t use was duff so will have to reorder one for my newly ready Wots Wot rather quick !

Why close the field? Surely it should be up to individual members who should be able to fly if they wish and keep away if they feel there is a risk. Perhaps the members who voted to close the field are those who feel it's too risky and want to stop eveyone elses enjoyment as well, or perhaps those members who only fly in fine weather anyway.

We live in a nanny state and now it seems we have nanny clubs.