Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?

The current Government advice is to avoid any non-essential travel and non-essential meetings with friends and family. This seems to indicate that model flying, which probably comes into the non-essential category, should not proceed unless you fly on your own.

How do others read this "guidance" which I note the Government may choose at any point to make a directive depending on how badly the Covid 19 virus impacts us?

Our club is staying open for flying with advice to keep social distancing as per government advice. The spring clean up and free BBQ has been cancelled as have committee meetings.

My personal opinion is that the benefits of getting out of the house in the fresh air far out-ways any potential issue.

Regards

Peter

Until such time as we have complete lockdown as per France (which I think will happen in the not too distant future ☹️I will continue to go up to the field whenever I can. There are only a few of us who are flying at the moment so it’s not a big social gathering (and yes, I know that it only takes 1).

Off to load the car now for another day of flying.

Edited By Ron Gray on 19/03/2020 08:52:25

We have cancelled all indoor and outdoor organised meetings until further notice. The flying field is still open to members for normal flying as it's easy to distance from other clubmates. As already said when a full lockdown is brought in then the field will also be closed.

Just wondering how I'm going to cut the long grass when we can finally get back out ?indecision

Good luck to everyone and keep well.

E.D.

What we have done..................

Cancelled all Club meetings until further notice, and also We recommend that those who do go flying observe the following sensible safeguards, which concur with the BMFA's advice:
1. Stand further apart to chat; at least a metre and preferably more. Chat crosswind, not upwind or downwind.
2. Don’t shake hands, and avoid physical contact with other members.
3. Don’t go to the flying site if you have a new cough or fever; please stay at home in accordance with the Government’s latest advice.
4. Consider being more relaxed with some rules, for example the requirement for pilots to stand close to each other in the pilots’ box, and the size of the start-up box. However, do not compromise the safety of others.
Finally, members should respect that some colleagues may want to maintain a larger social distance than usual but, with the above pointers in mind, we do not want to discourage anyone for whom flying is the highlight of the week!
Thank you all for your cooperation and understanding during these unprecedented times. Hopefully life will return to normal before too long.

I was told most firmly last night by daughter No1, what part of "social distancing" do you not get dad? In my work I come into contact with some numpties, are you joining them?

Is getting a newspaper essential? As to going to ALDI once a week or what ever new schedule you have come up with, just forget it, I will buy what you want. Flying a model, by yourself fine, with others, death is permanent dad, just grasp the fact.

You may think that there is an over reaction, please believe me, when I say we are worried, as less is known about Covid-19 than most would like. Please be careful, if not for your own sake, for mums and just think of the impact the death of mum, in particular, would have on the kids?

Flying seems to be out for me at least, for some time.

I agree with low pass Pete and Andrew Ray. At the moment its government advice not law, so I am expected to go on holiday to a hotel next week with no refund if I wish to postpone or cancel.

Taking into account the many a varied circumstances we live in people should be allowed to do what they think is best.

Just before people go off the deep end no I’m not going to stay in a hotel for a fortnight because I think it would be unwise and yes I going up the flying field because staying in is just not healthy as it is possible do distance one’s self same as going for walks in the country no contact no risk and if you think I should be doing different - tough - now you can go of the deep end.

Some of ours are there now flying, lovely day. Have a good day lads.

Me bunged up with cold, as per usual, kids mostly still working, Army, hospitality/hotel, they've people to look after so they'll continue working. Daughter in law still working, she's feeding the staff at a big logistics company. Wife and Son have had to lay people off, they're in tears worrying how they'll manage. angry

Virus ? Scary thing, not as scary as some of our fellow man though, shelves emptied by the greedy, vanfuls being delivered to some, our old folks having to get their own hours to shop safely ?

Had a call off an old couple this morning, can I go dig em a tree out, their two daughters are nurses, they're both single and have kids, who's out there giving advice, anyone ?

Baffled, but as you've no doubt noticed. Angry.

Mind how you go folks.

I think we need to use comon sense. The older you are the less effective is your immune system. At 73 I am self isolating. No shops, pubs, social gathering. Food deliveries and most things I need can be bought online. There is nothing to stop me getting in my car and going for a drive as long as I have no contact with another person. As far as flying is concerned untill our field dries out nobody will be using it anyway.

Beware unexpected consequences! Sainsburys 07.00 for Wrinklies & Crumblies Hour - got there 15 minutes early - fair sized queue - by 07.15 the place was rammed - blow it! Baled out with only 1/2 the list in the trolley. From now on (assuming we didn't cop the virus in the scrum this morning) will be telephoning orders to our local greengrocer/fishmonger and our butcher - both will allow us to collect a carrier bag at the door and pay contactless without going into the shop if they're crowded.

Good luck if you try ordering your shopping online, both Tesco and Sainsbury are fully booked and can't allocate either home delivery or click'n'collect at any time in the next three weeks - that's as far as their booking calendars go. No option but to go to the store unless you have someone who can go for you. Luckily I'm ok for everything bar milk and bread for a couple of weeks. God help those who were tardy or do small regular shops.

The local fish'n'chip shop is advertising on facebook that they are still up and running, and they link to Uber deliveries. It's something, but I dread to think what that would cost for a single person!

As for flying, I guess the committee will worry about a ruling when you no longer need waders at the field.  Biggest health risk is drowning.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 19/03/2020 15:59:26

Our club has cancelled our regular indoor flying sessions, postponed the spring bring and buy and rescheduled a couple of the competitions. However for the moment flying can continue at the various club sites, for those who wish to do so, whilst following the advice for keeping one;s distance and best avoiding contact.

I think it's probably only a matter of weeks, at the most, before we have to take the same path as Italy and Spain, with wholesale lockdown and only being able to go out to get food, medicines and in an emergency.

Not for me to tell you what to do, very sure you're all keeping to your own space, and I'm no expert on how germs pass, can you pick them up off the common things you're touching, such as the combination locks, handling the gate, chairs left at field. Be careful lads, don't want to hear any off you are taken ill, and taking something home to your family doesn't bare thinking about.