Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?

Yes correct David, I crossed the road when others approached me, I saw one police car patrolling the High Street, twice.

I'm going down to the post office today to send a parcel to Somerset, baby clothes to a new member of the family.

Talked to the boss today, the accountant is furloughed / -ing all the drivers today.

The office can be seen in this video (time 3.33),  it's at the side of the bike shop seen from the bridge. The business has been going since 1926 the last time it experienced times like these was in the second world war.

Furlowed spelt wrong - furloughed  

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 01/04/2020 10:50:05

I'm getting rid of the BMFA Facebook page and a few other sites on my smartphone until this is all over. The number of imbeciles who still post videos thinking they are a special case and continue to fly from public areas or what look to be flying sites is getting on my wick. Amazing how many of our fellow flyers and presumably BMFA members condone this behaviour in this time of national emergency.

Edited By Cuban8 on 01/04/2020 11:37:30

Come on, now the flying fields are closed, tells us all about your exciting days.

For instance, we managed to both place an order the previous day with Tesco, then yesterday, got a home delivery.

Perhaps less interesting, although of greater concern, I have witnessed my wives blood pressure rise, as she has filled in an order with all the major supermarkets, then either could not get the financial transaction through or find a slot for either home delivery or collect. Ah, yes, the great concern, who would make the bed if she became ill?

Are we all busy building?

One thing I have noticed while walking the dog at 9pm is how quite it is with no aircraft/car traffic noise. We are in an urban area with the fields a short distance away.

The other thing is how fast the wildlife has adapted in a short space of time, normally the odd hoot of an owl, but in the past six days

Different days and locations with two foxes crossing the normally light trafficked road, hedgehog just off the path next to the road, buzzed by an owl as if I was intruding on their patch and plenty of rabbits that were taking advantage the conditions.

Busy ? No I rushed into jobs instead of pacing myself. wink

Setting models up now, that hadn't been done since I went 2.4, mojo's been a problem. Menu's been turned on it's head with my Son at home, for the better but don't tell my missus. smiley

Got a new welding mask that darkens when you strike up, too cold out to have a play though.

What's next ? Carb kit for chainsaw/shears and a couple of strimmers I might as well sell.

Also sharpened three bow saws, bored, who me ? crook

Glassing my Vulcan, can only do a couple of hours a day as I work through it a bit at a time. Whilst waiting for epoxy to set I have scraped the barrel for jobs and cleaned the block paving drive today with one of those wire brushes on a stick. Been avoiding it for ages so it has earned copious brownie points.

Got my block paving looking like new today with a Karcher K4 but a son who is back living with me did it while I watched with a pint in my hand. They come in handy some times, and he will get a paint brush and roller thrust in his hand tomorrow, if I can find anywhere open that sells paint.

I shall be in the shed painting my Provost which is rather less strenuous.

Posted by Chris Walby on 02/04/2020 14:19:16:

One thing I have noticed while walking the dog at 9pm is how quite it is with no aircraft/car traffic noise.

I'm one of the people who contributes data to flightradar24. I have a USB receiver picking up the ADSB signals on 1090 MHz, plugged into a Raspberry Pi and sending data 24/7 to flightradar24.

I can monitor what my receiver is 'seeing' and view it on my PC, displayed both graphically on a chart and in table form.

Normally at this time of day I'd have 20 or 30, maybe more aircraft displayed. Currently I can see 7. And a few minutes ago it was only 3. One on short final for Heathrow, another on base leg at 4500 feet for Heathrow, the others at much higher altitude heading elsewhere.

Very quiet...

IMO the governments decision for the lock down now has a real component to it.

Just like many, I have missed the complete freedom that previously enjoyed,  just living with what has now been stipulated.

What has made the decisions valid, with particular emphasis on the flying field stipulations is that my wife received an Email last night, that informed her that two of members (that she knows) of the Bowling club she attends are now in hospital with COVID-19. There are no details of their condition. The last meeting of the club, before they went into lock down, was perhaps 14 days ago, Daughter No1 forbade my wife from attending. If she had I would now be a little more paranoid.

There are striking similarities with model flying, now being outside, often standing approx 2 m apart, toing and frowing in an almost random manner.

I think the risks are probably very real, as neither Daughter N01 or the Son-In-Law has been near since they have gone back to work. Instead one of the grandchildren has deposited food at our door, that we have requested.

Edited By Erfolg on 04/04/2020 13:13:09

Edited By Erfolg on 04/04/2020 13:14:12

Posted by cymaz on 04/04/2020 13:31:18:

Looking on here peolpe are not travelling thank goodness

Well they better get out there and do all the road works done at the same time, so we can all not get stuck in the works and have nice safe roads for when we all get back to it

Tragically the two people who were members of the bowling club that my wife attended, have died, within hours of each other. They were husband and wife, the woman had been on a ventilator for something like 10 days apparently.

My wife is very upset being informed by another club member this evening. What seemed so far away now is very real in our consciousness. Putting into context the level of potential risk.

I was contemplating, undertaking my own shopping. I find that both obtaining a delivery or collection slot, in conjunction with the as delivered purchases very disappointing, still being short of some items. As is sometimes said, I will have to live with that and accept it.

Yet staying in seems a better bet, at the moment. The longer term expectation and opinion seems to be that we will all be exposed to Covid-19. My worry is that if you are unlucky even with access to a suitable breathing device, things may not go well.

Sorry to hear that erfolg. Sadly as you say there will be more of this as things progress. And no prognosis for intubated patients does not sound good. I hope the search for palliative drugs shows some fruit soon.

Online shopping slots are best booked at midnight in my recent experience. Stay safe.

• 3 months later...

I personally would leave until the rate of infections for the area had reduced to very low levels. There are some relatively near by towns with reported high levels of the Virus.

Both the UK and Scottish governments have taken a view that we as individuals, do not need the nannie state, expecting us as individuals to be sensible, rather than provide explicit instructions for all occasions.

On that basis many, if not all parts of the UK could be fine.

In case of the club I am a member, in many respects much is the same now as pre-lock down. The one case in our area came into the area, to undertake some work (at a local Golf Club) where my wife plays. The "Track and Trace" seems to have done its job, where all who had some contact have been informed and isolated. The has surprised me after all the negative press.

I was going to leave it until the end of the month but I think I'll have a few flights on Sunday. Seeing as the weather's looking ideal and with common sense and sticking to a few simple precautions at the field, my trips to go food shopping are probably more risky, and then not by that much now. Will be the first flights since last October, so a nice easy day with a sports model to get back into it.

Edited By Cuban8 on 10/07/2020 13:15:08

• 2 months later...