Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?

I know it was said in humour, but please don't think about using methanol as the basis for a hand cleanser - it is a poison that can be absorbed through the skin, and has a cumulative effect.

Had a good morning's flying yesterday, no handshakes and people were using hand gel and wipes to minimise risks.

Closing a flying field does seem to me to be an over reaction. I can understand not holding club meetings or any indoor events for a while - seems to be a reasonable precaution given the age Demographic of those who mostly inhabit such places.

Why on earth would a club decide to close the field???

Its outside in the middle of a field. The closest youd get is sitting in the club hut...if you have one. Meetings or Indoor flying I can understand...to some extent but certainly not a farmers field....utterly ridiculous!!!

I have read that the Government team includes behavorial Social Scientists. It was suggested that why the tone from spokes persons and Boris is one of "recommending, setting out principles" rather than instructions and prohibitions.

The approach has supposably two benefits, the first, you become responsible as a good citizen to others and responsible for your own welfare. The second is that it makes it more difficult to thrust out a begging hand, saying, you told me, to do or not to do something, you should pay me.

The disadvantage is that oppurtunistic politicians are and do say, you should have done this or that, you lac anf your government lack leadership.

Posted by Stephen Smith 14 on 13/03/2020 12:53:07:

Closing the flying field is stupid, reading face book and thinking its gospel stupid, this is flu which has always killed people. Carry on with your life and stop listening to the scare mongers in the press and social media, this has just replaced brexit or there would be nothing to report on.

If your scared stop at home cuddling your multi pack of toilet roll sat on you sack of dried pasta.

Our field won't be closing and our activity will remain unchanged, as will mine

Well said that man, well said. Couldn't agree with you more!!

I'm bemused by much of it, social media has gone even more insane. Is it Flu ? I'm no doctor, do hundreds of thousands each year get flu jabs, vaccine keeps changing to keep up with mutations, the vulnerable have been educated to get their jabs. This virus has no vaccine as yet. How many have caught this and are now O.K ? We don't read much saying that, we are bombarded with numbers giving negatives though.

Media has behaved badly for me, they'll have the herd stampeding given the chance. I can't stand Boris, on this one I'm on his side.

Posted by john stones 1 on 14/03/2020 16:27:16:

It been stated Flu like, spreads like Flu virus, symptoms alike, can lead to Pneumonia or other life threatening conditions, and the vast majority will recover from it.

It looks like if you are generally fit and healthy, it should pass over in 7 days or so. People with any sort of chest / lung problems are another matter. Scary reports this morning, but dont want to spread yet more doom and gloom.

Its much much more dangerous than flu. Lots of people have some immunity to flu and so it doesn't spread anything like as quickly as this is. None of us have any immunity to this, Yes most of us will be OK if we get it, but some will get very sick indeed and if the NHS gets too busy....

We should certainly put in place sensible safeguards to protect members.

1. Stand further apart to chat. At least a metre preferably more. Chat crosswind, not upwind / downwind

2. Don't shake hands and avoid physical contact with other members.

3. Don't go to the field if you have a new cough of fever. Stay at home for seven days.

4. Use sanitizer or wipes containing Benzalkonium Chloride to wipe down and borrowed equipment / buddy boxes etc before and after use

5. Clean your hands when you get back in the car and when you get back to the house.

And don't close the flying field. This is going to take at least a few months to peak and decline. There are other problems that will emerge for those who are isolated for the long term. We (well most of us) are social creatures. Being able to get out to fly safely really could be a life saver over the next few months.

John, My concern is being one of those who do not recover.

As to being a flu, do I really care? What I am told that the Virus is sufficiently different to the flue, that most of those at real risk are immunized against, to constitute a new strain, Belonging to a group which are similar, SARs, MERS, this group seem to be generically none as Corona Viruses.

At my age, it has been suggested that it may be prudent to self isolate for 12 weeks or so. I am under the impression this has to do with how long it is anticipated that risk remains high but constant. At best that means no flying, at worst, how practical is that as a practice. Yet if i know it is the difference between live and death, it will be.

Apparently some prestigious University mathematical faculty has modeled/calculates that going in hard now, or preferably in the past would have guaranteed an essentially more or less flat acceptable rate of serious infection, That is the same as being attempted now, with a greater degree of certainty. It also removes the voluntary need of all to do the right thing, as i sense many will not on their own volition, although I could be being unjust.

Edited By Erfolg on 14/03/2020 16:51:33

Edited By Erfolg on 14/03/2020 16:52:51

History of chest illness through my family Erf, I'm allergic to loads of medicines, even anti allergy concoctions. Watched my Mum die in hospital from Pneumonia which had developed from a Flu virus, which she'd had numerous times in her life, she was well over 80 though, so had been a scraper.

My head is thinking different thoughts to some, close schools etc, how do the people who have to stay off work manage ? Shall the herd trample them underfoot ?

Graham, for an oldy such as myself, much of the increased knowledge of the virus is disturbing. The first is that many sources are now indicating that for transitory proximity, the minimum distance should be 2 meters. That airborne viruses an travel a hundred or so feet and remain viable. That dependent on the surface the virus can remain viable for a number of days, although what registers with me, is that the values quoted are at least double that often quoted for Flu.

The good news is that outer protective shell deteriorates very fast in higher temperatures, such as in summer. The bad news is that the virus apparently use our own natural oils to incorporate into its outer shell, to fool our antibodies.

Well, at least, this is what the papers write, although they do quote the scientist or scientific groups making the claims.

Edited By Erfolg on 14/03/2020 17:10:35

John it seems just ignoring the illness, from the perspective of taking action, does not work,

It seems that in the end action has to be taken, or accept many thousands of people will die, where a health service does not have resources to deal with the individuals.

It is not possible for a health service to provide the infrastructure nor the medical staff to deal with a peak that doing nothing ensures. Massive amounts of oxygen are required and means of delivering it to the individuals requiring treatment, particularly by doing nothing.

What ever is done, or not done, the economy will suffer massively, we will have to accept that.

Is it acceptable to say those who are old and with underlying health conditions do not matter, if it were in other parts of the underdeveloped world, the answer would be NO.

I personally cannot see any easy win.

Those who are saying that this is no worse than the annual flu need to take a long hard look at the data from China, showing the disproportionate effect on those over 60 and those with pre-existing medical conditions. It appears that the mortality rate of 1 or 2 percent of cases is at least an order of magnitude higher than the annual flu and alarming enough in itself. Looking at the data for the over 60's the rates rise dramatically - 3.6% for those of 60-69 years and 8.0% for those of 70-79 years. For the over 80#s the rate exhibited in the Chinese data is 14.8%.

If you have an underlying medical condition the mortality rates look like this - cardiovascular disease 10.5% diabetes 7.3% chronic respiratory diseases 6/3% hypertension 6/0% and cancer 5.6%. Those figures are the mortality rates of all cases, not confirmed cases.

It is also worth noting that those at risk groups probably represent a very substantial portion of our modelling community and we are going to lose flying friends to this disease, without a doubt.

The French modelling authorities have put in place a number of measures - suspending competitions, recommending that all shows and fly-ins that the public are invited to be cancelled and that flying should not be in groups of >10 flyers at a time.

Posted by GrahamC on 14/03/2020 16:42:53:

Its much much more dangerous than flu. Lots of people have some immunity to flu and so it doesn't spread anything like as quickly as this is. None of us have any immunity to this, Yes most of us will be OK if we get it, but some will get very sick indeed and if the NHS gets too busy....

We should certainly put in place sensible safeguards to protect members.

1. Stand further apart to chat. At least a metre preferably more. Chat crosswind, not upwind / downwind

2. Don't shake hands and avoid physical contact with other members.

3. Don't go to the field if you have a new cough of fever. Stay at home for seven days.

4. Use sanitizer or wipes containing Benzalkonium Chloride to wipe down and borrowed equipment / buddy boxes etc before and after use

5. Clean your hands when you get back in the car and when you get back to the house.

And don't close the flying field. This is going to take at least a few months to peak and decline. There are other problems that will emerge for those who are isolated for the long term. We (well most of us) are social creatures. Being able to get out to fly safely really could be a life saver over the next few months.

That's an excellent post Graham and a very sensible list of measures - one small point, the experts advise 2 metres separation as being the radius for cough or sneeze droplet splatter.

Our club hasn't put anything in place as yet. That said we are a small club of about 18 members and of the 18 I'd guesstimate about 7 of these are active. Mind you I don't think there's any real need to put anything in place at the minute as the weather doing a pretty good job of stopping flying all by itself.