Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?

I'm club chairman, and if I tried to close the club on the basis of the health of club members and preventing further disease vectors, I would be told to eff off in no uncertain terms. Mind you, in our club everybody is a keyholder, so the idea would be impossible to enforce from the word go.

I think the OP club committee is being very heavy handed over something they can not control, perhaps more to be seen to do something than anything else? Have they threatened member consequences if you dare to go and fly? Are there any controlling personalities on the committee? You know the type: They like to throw their weight around but hide behind the rules to do so.

Personally, I would see this as a chance to get some flying in with out anybody else around.

What is disturbing is the poor rate of recovery. I know that it is relatively early in the process and that skews the figures but for 'most recovering in 7 days' is stretching the imagination

Italy 21157 cases, 1966 total recovered, so 17750 still active cases, 1518 serious/critical

France 3661 cases, 12 total recovered, 3570 active cases, 154 serious

China (if the figures are believable) 80824 cases, 65573 recovered, 12062 active cases, 3610 serious

UK 1140 cases, 18 total recovered, 1101 active cases, 20 serious/critical

So anyone thinking it isn't too serious is living on cloud cuckoo. It isn't just old folk and with underlying health issues at serious risk either, some victims are young healthy folks. Countries don't decimate their economies by closing things down on a whim. We all need to take care for ourselves and for others.

Figures are Euronews, normally 'fairly balanced' in my view. Lots of countries shown in the table:

link

Posted by GrahamC on 14/03/2020 16:42:53:

Its much much more dangerous than flu. Lots of people have some immunity to flu and so it doesn't spread anything like as quickly as this is. None of us have any immunity to this, Yes most of us will be OK if we get it, but some will get very sick indeed and if the NHS gets too busy....

We should certainly put in place sensible safeguards to protect members.

1. Stand further apart to chat. At least a metre preferably more. Chat crosswind, not upwind / downwind

2. Don't shake hands and avoid physical contact with other members.

3. Don't go to the field if you have a new cough of fever. Stay at home for seven days.

4. Use sanitizer or wipes containing Benzalkonium Chloride to wipe down and borrowed equipment / buddy boxes etc before and after use

5. Clean your hands when you get back in the car and when you get back to the house.

And don't close the flying field. This is going to take at least a few months to peak and decline. There are other problems that will emerge for those who are isolated for the long term. We (well most of us) are social creatures. Being able to get out to fly safely really could be a life saver over the next few months.

I agree with most of this but BKC (Benzalkonium Chloride) is an antibacterial and not effective against a virus, you need high alcohol concentration, bleach or concentrated surfactants to denature the proteins in a virus (or elevated temperature but I wouldn't recommend boiling your hands).

Edited By Shaun Walsh on 14/03/2020 19:13:53

Posted by Shaun Walsh on 14/03/2020 19:10:53:
Posted by GrahamC on 14/03/2020 16:42:53:

Its much much more dangerous than flu. Lots of people have some immunity to flu and so it doesn't spread anything like as quickly as this is. None of us have any immunity to this, Yes most of us will be OK if we get it, but some will get very sick indeed and if the NHS gets too busy....

We should certainly put in place sensible safeguards to protect members.

1. Stand further apart to chat. At least a metre preferably more. Chat crosswind, not upwind / downwind

2. Don't shake hands and avoid physical contact with other members.

3. Don't go to the field if you have a new cough of fever. Stay at home for seven days.

4. Use sanitizer or wipes containing Benzalkonium Chloride to wipe down and borrowed equipment / buddy boxes etc before and after use

5. Clean your hands when you get back in the car and when you get back to the house.

And don't close the flying field. This is going to take at least a few months to peak and decline. There are other problems that will emerge for those who are isolated for the long term. We (well most of us) are social creatures. Being able to get out to fly safely really could be a life saver over the next few months.

I agree with most of this but BKC (Benzalkonium Chloride) is an antibacterial and not effective against a virus, you need high alcohol concentration, bleach or concentrated surfactants to denature the proteins in a virus (or elevated temperature but I wouldn't recommend boiling your hands).

Edited By Shaun Walsh on 14/03/2020 19:13:53

Yes, you are right. A greater than 70% solution of Isopropyl Alcohol in a small spray combined with a wipe would be more effective.

Posted by Stephen Smith 14 on 14/03/2020 19:57:52:

A previous scare multipled by the media

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/jul/21/pandemic.warning

In essence the article says that sooner or later there will be a pandemic and that it might be a bird flu. It will cause massive disruption and kill a lot of people and preparations need to be made.

Quite prescient I would say. Wrong type of virus but otherwise spot on.

The final sentence of the article is salutary: "The most severe flu pandemic was in 1918-1919. It killed an estimated 50 million people around the world."

The media may be having a field day, and at times being very unhelpful but that diminish the seriousness of the situation.

If you have isopropyl alcohol in the workshop, mix by weight, 70 isopropyl, 30 aloe vera gel ( health food shop), a few drips of glycerol (Beloved's icing making box, optional). Shake.

The aloe vera and glycerol are skin softeners, hands feel moisturised after use, not dry. Brownie points from beloved, it works, smells nice, no messing to find the bits.

To demonstrate how many brownie points, I have permission to leave a sixth scale Fiesler Storch on the dining room table while another airframe gets a job done.

Edited By Don Fry on 15/03/2020 09:44:12

I seein The Spectator that alloldpeople will be confined to their homes and also that teh NHS will not treat over 65s.

THis is logical. We oldies won't have to go out to get infected...it can be brought to use by those delivering our food etc.

I shall go to the flying field and if anyone comes to tell me I mustn't I willaccuse them of contaminatingout 2 acre field

and putting me at risk!!

I went to the doctors on Tuesday for the annual mot after the blood tests ,to be told I was in good health every thing normal. The following day I was loaded with cold with cold sores coming out on my face and feeling yucky I have self isolated from everyone, living alone helps I am feeling much better now so I am happy in self isolation. Plenty modelling to do and no flying due to weather. First sign of a decent flying day will end isolation.

In France the French government through the FFAM, the equivalent of the BMFA, have banned all big events and have banned indoor meetings of any kind consequently our workshop sessions with three young lads have had to be curtailed.

At the flying field however, only ten people are allowed to gather at one time. What is supposed to happen if an eleventh turns up is not stated!

Perhaps the first at the field has to go home!

I am hopeful that the BMFA will provide carefully considered recommendations with respect to specifics of our hobby.

This could be the handling of Tx . models and equipment, with respect to helpers.

The size and spacing of groups etc.

Should competitions, get togethers occur, if they do, how should they be managed.

A major issue is the ever changing advice and recommendations, from all sources and the government and their advisers.

Personally I expect the situation to be similar to "foot and mouth", in that what I would like to do, will have to be modified. I will possibly drive up the coast and fly of the beach, outside of the air exclusion zone and holiday makers.

I received an email from my club this morning stating that the regional governing body for aeromodelling activies have imposed a total ban on club activities here in the Aragon region of Spain. I also understand that similar bans have been imposed in the rest of the country too.

At the moment, technically I'm not permitted to leave my home for a simple walk unless it's for an approved activity like food shopping or medicines.

Edited By Steve Colman on 15/03/2020 13:32:10

Posted by Steve Colman on 15/03/2020 13:31:47:

I received an email from my club this morning stating that the regional governing body for aeromodelling activies have imposed a total ban on club activities here in the Aragon region of Spain. I also understand that similar bans have been imposed in the rest of the country too.

At the moment, technically I'm not permitted to leave my home for a simple walk unless it's for an approved activity like food shopping or medicines.

Edited By Steve Colman on 15/03/2020 13:32:10

The BBC afternoon news has just shown police drones flying around Madrid, I think it was, telling people who were out and about, to go home.

The other point.

If we are to be confined to our homes it will prevent us getting infected.

However they have thought of that. We can have deliveries made if they are left out side.

Now my question.

If I then develop Corona virus can I sue the delivery company or the supplier for sending infected items because one of their employees had the virus!!!

Edited By Peter Miller on 15/03/2020 18:27:35

My wife and I are both in our eighties and are of the opinion that we will carry on as normal. We have had a good life and, if we become infected, we will either survive or die. Neither of us want to kick the bucket yet but we have made our wills, chosen our green burial site and even prepared our shrouds.

In response to Peter's "you will be shot on sight" - at least that would be quick.laugh He also has a point that delivery people could well be vectors of infection - after all it appears that an infected body doesn't show symptoms for several days and even the common cold virus is more infectious before symptoms appear.

Malcolm

Posted by Peter Miller on 15/03/2020 18:23:12:

I see that the government are getting other manufacturers to help make urgently needed equipment.

That includes an armament factory.

Older people your are warned...you will be shot in sight!!

That is, someone is going to be asked to design a ventilator , from scratch, now.

I can do that. Payment in advance. E mail and IBAN on application. Due to the nature of the contract, no refunds considered.

Most of those who are over 70 in my club, including my father are fit and healthy and arent old and frail old men, despite what the media may have you believe. I can guarantee that most will continue, quite rightly, to fly, particularly as its been a long and bad winter for flying.

People worried about enforcement, well as we know, call the police to report a crime and wait for some time before anyone arrives.

As for BMFA advice, I'm not sure they need to provide any. Its common sense, wash hands etc etc.

Happy flying once the weather improves in coming weeks.

Posted by Chris Berry on 15/03/2020 19:36:18:

Most of those who are over 70 in my club, including my father are fit and healthy and arent old and frail old men, despite what the media may have you believe. I can guarantee that most will continue, quite rightly, to fly, particularly as its been a long and bad winter for flying.

People worried about enforcement, well as we know, call the police to report a crime and wait for some time before anyone arrives.

As for BMFA advice, I'm not sure they need to provide any. Its common sense, wash hands etc etc.

Happy flying once the weather improves in coming weeks.

But, if you want to argue with a Challenger II posted across the road.

As the Chinese curse goes, may you live in interesting times.

I reckon, last sentence, of the post, is a thought to hang on to.