Reagle Eagle – from the ashes.

Herri

img_8477.jpg

Some of the more mature amongst you will remember the Paper Aviation Reagle Eagle. A kit sold around 1990 if my memory serves me well. It was made from foam board covered with thick paper.

It was my favourite model of all time and I fitted a 26cc Zenoah. It spent many years after the build hanging from the ceiling of my hobby room as I progressed to 1/1 scale aeroplanes.

img_8492.jpg

img_8496.jpg

When I took up RC again, I started flying the Eagle. After a couple of years, on a very windy day the wings folded after a tight loop and this was the result.

crash.jpg

I was devastated. I searched the interweb for another but alas, none to be found.

I decided I must build one, so made a rough drawing with the measurements.

Years passed but I always had memories of the Reagle Eagle.

In the meantime, I bought a Stepcraft 600 and loved the satisfaction it gave me to produce my own parts.

stepcraft.jpg

Last year I decided I would re-build my Reagle Eagle. I still had the original undercarriage, so decided it would be ok to call it a rebuild.

I used my old drawing and produced plans to cut the parts with my Stepcraft using mainly 3mm liteply.

drawing.jpg

The rumour at the time was that the Regal Eagle was based on an enlargement of a Peter Miller design called Tequila Sunrise which was a Radio Modeller plan and also a RC Modeler USA plan. You might compare your design with that plan for similarities or to overcome any missing sections. Of course construction was completely different. Peter later produced his own slightly enlarged design as Miss Lizzie for an RCME plan. All reputed to be excellent flyers.

Bob, I didnt have any original plans or details only what I noted after the crash. I also wanted to use my CAD. It was the first time I actually used it for a new model. I really enjoyed the drawing and cutting.

KC, I saw the Tequilla Sunrise in the book “ designing model aircraft” (same author I presume)

The thought crossed my mind that the Reagle Eagle could be based on that model.

Edited By Herri on 29/03/2020 19:30:05

Yes, In fact it was an enlargement of Trivial Pursuit. Some time before it was kitted I was sent a photo by a model shop proprietor with details of the cardboard prototype and the fact that it was based on TrivialPursuit.and I put that in my Column the Engine Bay at the time. I have scanned it but that is on another computer at the moment.

IT took a very long time before the kit manufcturer put a very veiled grudging admission that the Regal Eagle" had been based on a" 30" span model." in an article that he wrote.

Then I have been influenced by another design I have always admitted it this but some people do not!

Here is the story of TrivialPursuit etc.

dsc01472.jpg

The 3 view

dsc01473.jpg

A formation of Trivial Pursuits.

As a point of interest I got a letter from someone who had bought a S/H model from a model shop and won the club scale competition with it!!!

Ayear later (Nov 1990) I put this in "The Engine Bay

tp eb text.jpg

and the photo of Cab Richarson's version

trivial crop 1.jpg

I love the formation photo smiley

Some years ago I read a thread (RCMF I think) where someone said they had contatced Cab with regard to buying the rights/licence. Apparently he wasnt interested.

Anyway, I shall carry on. Glued the trailing and leading edges on today. Tomorrow, I'll plane/sand them and fit the tips.

Posted by Herri on 30/03/2020 13:27:06:

I love the formation photo smiley

Some years ago I read a thread (RCMF I think) where someone said they had contatced Cab with regard to buying the rights/licence. Apparently he wasnt interested.

Anyway, I shall carry on. Glued the trailing and leading edges on today. Tomorrow, I'll plane/sand them and fit the tips.

The formation picture was done before digital cameras and computers. A series of pictures of the same model with different numbers stuck on a big photo and rephotographed

Fitted the leading edge, still needs a bit of final sanding. (Peter's book page 47) Balsa glued to ribs, sheeting added, then sanded flush. Leading edge added. Very strong and easy.

Trailing edge: bought stock.

wings with lead.jpg

Need to finalise my tips. Not yet glued. May have to cut new ones.