What Traders are still offering Mail Order? Services?

Hello Everyone,

I hope MF members are keeping Safe and staying Healthy in these uncertain times.

Would it be an idea for Traders that have closed their stores but remain open for mail order? And/or contact on the phone etc to post here on the Model Flying forum to let people know they are available/ trading if required?

There’s much confusion currently over what traders are open and what traders are closed. Government guide lines have had model stores close as they are not essential retailers ( there’s a few 1000 modellers see them as very essential - lol)

Like many my hobby is very essential to me and Mail Order has kept me supplied at home.

Maybe we could encourage a thread where people could post information regard any resources that are still available during the current health crisis? If it’s ok with the moderators?

SWM has closed to personal callers , but the mail order side on line ( servoshop) and phone lines are still open. Phone lines open during the usual open times .

You might not be able to see Ady and the team in person but they are still on the phone ( at the usual shop hours) for orders , help - what ever SWM can help with they will.

Finally Id personally like to wish everyone a healthy and safe time, stay at home , protect the NHS and stay safe. Keep in electronic none person to person contact with each other.

I’m not at the SWM store as I have health problems which means I’m on lock down avoiding the virus. As I’m sure many MF members are.

and YES I’ve used my own store for essential mail order!
My glue and carbon rod arrived at my home on Friday.

Traders - If ok with moderators post here!!

My Very Best Regards and best wishes to all.

Steve

Steve Webb Models.

Edited By Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 30/03/2020 10:14:56

Posted by Michael Barclay on 30/03/2020 10:18:55:

Hobby King are open for busines from Holland. I usuall get stuff within 5 days.

Thanks Michael - I was kind of thinking what traders at home in the UK were still around but it’s valid that HK is open in Holland if that’s the case.

It’s my understanding there are major delays importing because flights that are not running.

Have you ordered since the lock down? I know many orders with Chinese Suppliers are months overdue because production in China has been affected. The virus originated in the ROC so they have been badly affected in some industrial areas.

We have supplies from China and Tony Ray Aeromodel co is only just returning to work having been off work since January .

it would be helpful if you could tell us if you have ordered in the last two weeks and did you get your orders ?

Steve

That's ok Steve but we're always sensitive to our existing advertisers so a trader who isn't should resist the urge to highlight particular stock, offers, prices etc. These posts will be removed. Simply state whether trading is continuing online.

Please also resist the urge to discuss specific orders etc. 

It should be fairly obvious though. The presumption is that all traders are closed to footflow traffic and open for mail order. Simply checking their website or giving them a call will confirm this.

Incidentally, if a trader wants to post but isn't sure then just drop me a PM. 

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 30/03/2020 14:10:03

Posted by Richard Acland on 30/03/2020 10:27:37:

My order from Balsa cabin arrives today, when I spoke to them last week they said they were very busy with mailorder. Looks like a lot of people are building. Also ordered items from Nexus model supplies which came very quickly.

Yes Richard - That’s encouraging , Balsa Cabin seasoned ( no pun intended ) traders who are very experienced in mail order. Good to hear they are keeping modellers busy!
As I mentioned in my OP I’m not at SWM due to my own Heath issues. I’m trying to avoid Covid 19. But my store reported a record morning for eBay orders and a high number of servoshop orders.

Its very encouraging for the staff.

thanks for your post - you could be correct that modelling is happening nation wide. It’s a therapeutic hobby mentally. Keeping busy while locked down is important

Steve

Posted by David Ashby - Moderator on 30/03/2020 10:36:20:

That's ok Steve but we're always sensitive to our existing advertisers so a trader who isn't should resist the urge to highlight particular stock, offers, prices etc. These posts will be removed. Simply state whether trading is continuing online.

Please also resist the urge to discuss specific orders etc.

It should be fairly obvious though. The presumption is that all traders are closed to footflow traffic and open for mail order. Simply checking their website or giving them a call will confirm this. 

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 30/03/2020 10:38:03

Hi David

Just saw your post , understood . I just thought it might be handy for people to post resources available . Most telephone enquiries last week seemed to be enquiring if open . Certainly having people turn up at the store and unhappy it’s closed . There seems some confusion as to what traders are still available if only mail order .

I hope I didn’t break any rules by stating mail orders and eBay seen busy. I think eBay is busy with all orders not just model stores . People turning to a spot of retail therapy .

Ripmax closed , Macgregor Closed , Logic RC are open with reduced staffing . J Perkins is still open.

Chris Foss was still available end of last week.

I agree it should be obvious , but despite social media, website announcements we still have callers turning up in person at SWM. Some quite angry we are closed. I expect it’s the same elsewhere .

Regard traders not answering phones - a world of caution to presume they are closed . It could be they are down in staff and unable to answer at that time. It could be they are a sole trader struggling to be available 24/7 .

I would advise if you call a trader and there’s no answer to try again , just in case he/ she was unable to answer the phone . But I’d advise customers to cease travelling to model shops , they should all be closed to callers . There are also problems with normal supplies to stores , so be prepared for some normal bread  and butter products to be out of stock.

I hope you are keeping well? I expect you’ll be on lock down too? I am - Can’t catch Covid , it’s not a option - I need to keep away from infection.

ill sign off leave the thread to gain posts from modellers and traders , don’t want to make this about SWM . Just thought it would be of help? To some out there.

I would advise anyone to phone in advance to calling at any store model trade or other wise as many business’s are closed to callers . Model Shops  should be closed to callers in person  if following the Gov guidelines , but many are still offering mail order .

Support the UK trade if possible , when this is all over it would be good if we still had a healthy model trade .

I feel it’s so important to the hobby. There’s just not enough model shops now a days.

Take Care and Stay Safe

Steve

Edited By Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 30/03/2020 11:01:02

Edited By Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 30/03/2020 11:06:33

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 30/03/2020 14:10:38

Posted by PatMc on 30/03/2020 11:48:29:
Posted by EvilC57 on 30/03/2020 11:35:39:

Surely travelling to a model shop (whether closed or not) doesn’t count as ‘essential travel’.

Hence this thread.

My point was really a response to Steve Webb’s reference to the fact that they’d had people turning up at the shop and being angry to find it closed.

I think this thread is an excellent idea. The shops that are still offering a mail order service are in many cases operating with a skeleton staff, so the last thing they need is us phoning up just to see if they are still open for this.

David Ashby, I appreciate you like to give priority to your regular advertisers, however, in these unique circumstances, by supporting and encouraging the UK hobby as a whole both customers and suppliers will benefit. The continued existence of UK suppliers both big and small can only be good for all of us in the long term.

I can think of two remaining small model shops fairly nearby me that haven't ever really got into the mail order side of their business as they should have (hardly ever ever advertise and have poor websites with limited lines). I obviously won't name them but I suspect as they are now closed to personal callers because of the non essential nature of their business and the travel restrictions, an extended period of non trading will surely risk pushing them out of business.

Good luck to those that are trying to hold things together as best as they can given the current restrictions.yes

Edited By Cuban8 on 30/03/2020 12:46:59