Grass Cutting

Kevin 216

Our chairman had an advisory email from the BMFA saying (and it's common sense really) don't cut flying patches as to travel to them to do the job would be classed as a nonessential journey. Which of course it is. SO golf courses, the way I see it if the person doing the cutting has to drive there then no it should not be done NON ESSENTIAL TRAVEL. A grey area is if the person doing the cutting lives on site!! But surely even doing the task itself is non essential.

Being a bit cynical, the demographic membership of the majority of golf clubs is of the more ..............well to do ........... have a social standing, especially where I live...... (best way I can put it). To let the golf course go to rack and ruin as seen by the social standing membership as mentioned, is just not on, no matter what the crisis and social restrictions are imposed on us. Now the flying field which is very simular in habitat (isolated) can just go to rack and ruin. Strikes me as one rule them and another for the rest of us.

But it still comes down to the NON ESSENTIAL TRAVEL in the end

Turned into a bit of a rant sorry.

For those of you saying a flying site doesn't take much looking after, then feel free to accompany me to our flying site once you feel happy to do so. I can tell you that our flying site takes a lot of work. We like to fly from a smooth, rolled and mower strip which is suitable for all types of models, not just those with tundra tyres or hand launch.

Edited By Chris Berry on 01/04/2020 13:29:16

Both of the clubs that I use have spent thousands of pounds in equipment and materials over the years to bring the strips up to scratch and keep them that way. If they are neglected, as I suspect, for at least six months and with the possibility of a nice Spring and Summer to really get the grass growing, it'll be waist high in no time. Not terminal, but a hell of a lot of work and expense when the time comes.

As for Golf courses, I suppose if they employ  professional green keepers, they  just carry on going to work as usual to maintain the business's infrastructure. I can't imagine that Professional Football or Cricket will allow their pitches to overgrow.

The amateur side of things is different ,in that having a volunteer travelling to a field or venue of any description to maintain it will be quite wrong as things stand at the moment.

When I walked to the local shop this morning I saw a couple of council bods emptying rubbish bins and a bloke changing the poster in a bus stop display. A lot of normal things are going on as before or as much a can be done sensibly and safely , so perhaps an exemption could be made in special circumstances and on an individual basis to permit travel to private community based outdoor sites that will otherwise be badly affected by neglect because of 'non-essential travel'.

Edited By Cuban8 on 01/04/2020 13:36:53

I guess that most Golf Clubs employ the greenkeeper. Therefore, as working from home is not an option and providing they have not been furloughed, carrying out normal work whilst observing social distancing is quite acceptable under the current rules.

I have also noticed that local Gardeners and Handymen are continuing to work, no problem maintaining appropriate distancing.

Can't see where anyone one said flying sites, don't take much looking after ?

Our strips as smooth as a babies bottom, the hedges/trees get cut on a regular basis as do the pits areas, litter gets picked up, as for accompanying you, no ta, got our own to look after, grass will grow a bit, a couple of cuts it'll be fine.

Some people are out mowing golf/cricket/football pitches, good, people will want to return to normal, have some fun, these businesses will need money.

Posted by BackinBlack on 01/04/2020 13:32:49:

I guess that most Golf Clubs employ the greenkeeper. Therefore, as working from home is not an option and providing they have not been furloughed, carrying out normal work whilst observing social distancing is quite acceptable under the current rules.

I have also noticed that local Gardeners and Handymen are continuing to work, no problem maintaining appropriate distancing.

I'm a local gardener, got plenty work needs doing all on hold for now, many of my jobs are for older folks, no way am I going to their houses.

Posted by john stones 1 on 01/04/2020 13:37:55:

Can't see where anyone one said flying sites, don't take much looking after ?

Our strips as smooth as a babies bottom, the hedges/trees get cut on a regular basis as do the pits areas, litter gets picked up, as for accompanying you, no ta, got our own to look after, grass will grow a bit, a couple of cuts it'll be fine.

Some people are out mowing golf/cricket/football pitches, good, people will want to return to normal, have some fun, these businesses will need money.

You suggest that a couple of cuts and itll be back to normal. Not the case if left for a month or more. Certainly if left until June, then forget flying for several months after.

There is then a risk that if the site is not useable that members will find a club that is and come renewal time members will go elsewhere, as they are settled at new sites. People should not underestimate the impacts of strips not being cut.

I see no difference between the cutting of a golf course, cricket pitch or football pitch and a flying site. All are essential maintenance and whether paid or voluntary, all are acting as 'employees' of the association.

I play golf and I'm also a modeller.

Our flying site is closed.

The golf course is closed despite the fact that it been arranged so that nothing would have to be touched.

With common sense both activities could be carried out while maintaining social distancing.

The course has to be maintained, I agree the strip does as well.

Sadly it seems mostly as though common sense has gone out of the window.

I cannot see how one guy in the middle of a field with a lawn mover is hampering the effort to keep Covid-19 at bay.

If it was for just a few weeks it would be manageable.

Maybe wait till Easter, the 3 weeks will be up - and although it's doubtful - maybe restrictions might be eased just a tad to allow activities like mowing the strip to take place.

Or perhaps may ask local Council or Sports Council?

Surely maintenance of a facility is allowable, our local sailing club is closed, but surely if you had a vessel afloat checking the moorings and pumping out the bilges to prevent it from sinking would be allowed?

I am sure that if this goes on till the end of the summer a lot of other things that haven't been thought of yet will become issues.

Posted by Jason Channing on 02/04/2020 07:05:12:

Unfortunately if grass is left to grow for too long then cut short, The structure of the grass and the roots change with the associated problems of bad roots will occur and in some cases the grass can stop growing , its not quite as simple as a cut and rake and its back to good, however The new lack of noise at the flying sites may well cause a problem once the noise returns

Absolutely correct Jason!

We changed our pits layout last year and I let an area 'naturalise' for about 3 months. Subsequently we needed the space back and the roots had matted above ground and the ground which was once smooth and short mown was rough, brown, soily and lumpy and took about 6 months of intense mowing and rolling to get back to normal. Luckily it was only a small area. It is far from as simple as mowing and raking.

Noise may also be a significant factor.

The council were out mowing the grass verges and incidental patches of land today! Clearly very essential work!!

Posted by john stones 1 on 03/04/2020 17:03:09:

Been under water all winter, burnt off two years past due to intense heat, gets blathered in fuels, driven on, subjected to abrupt arrivals and divots replaced. It's grass, one of natures great survivors, It'll be fine, us ? well two week in it's hanging in the balance.

It wont be ok if it's not cut for 3 months. Do you do the mowing at your club John?

As for us hanging in the balance, over 91% of all those who contract the virus survive and suffer only very mild symptoms. But obviously you wont hear that on the news.