Grass Cutting

Kevin 216

Posted by Chris Berry on 03/04/2020 18:01:29:
Posted by john stones 1 on 03/04/2020 17:03:09:

Been under water all winter, burnt off two years past due to intense heat, gets blathered in fuels, driven on, subjected to abrupt arrivals and divots replaced. It's grass, one of natures great survivors, It'll be fine, us ? well two week in it's hanging in the balance.

It wont be ok if it's not cut for 3 months. Do you do the mowing at your club John?

As for us hanging in the balance, over 91% of all those who contract the virus survive and suffer only very mild symptoms. But obviously you wont hear that on the news.

Been mowing commercially for 20+ years, first as a groundsman at an immigration center, then a private firm, now doing it on my own but at a leisurely pace, grass will be fine, the hanging in the balance comment referred to our mental states. Council cuts our field, it's on hold, myself and others look after the pits hedges etc. Are we fretting over the grass ? Nope. Might be a few cross words over work parties when we're allowed out though.

Posted by john stones 1 on 03/04/2020 18:11:50:
Posted by Chris Berry on 03/04/2020 18:01:29:
Posted by john stones 1 on 03/04/2020 17:03:09:

Been under water all winter, burnt off two years past due to intense heat, gets blathered in fuels, driven on, subjected to abrupt arrivals and divots replaced. It's grass, one of natures great survivors, It'll be fine, us ? well two week in it's hanging in the balance.

It wont be ok if it's not cut for 3 months. Do you do the mowing at your club John?

As for us hanging in the balance, over 91% of all those who contract the virus survive and suffer only very mild symptoms. But obviously you wont hear that on the news.

Been mowing commercially for 20+ years, first as a groundsman at an immigration center, then a private firm, now doing it on my own but at a leisurely pace, grass will be fine, the hanging in the balance comment referred to our mental states. Council cuts our field, it's on hold, myself and others look after the pits hedges etc. Are we fretting over the grass ? Nope. Might be a few cross words over work parties when we're allowed out though.

Well i wish I could share your optimism over the ground if its left for weeks and weeks. My experience of 30years of mowing the strip and extending runways etc makes me nervous if we are 6-8 weeks without mowing.

No doubt time will tell.

Posted by Jason Channing on 03/04/2020 20:37:22:

Mowing commercially is not the same as green keeping from which I have been lucky enough to have been given sufficient information on, If you have done professional ground keeping than you will know that.

Reading the whole forum tonight

It does appear we are all getting to the stage we need a cup of tea

I am going for a fag outside

I rely on this thread for information about my field when I get back to it

Posted by Jason Channing on 03/04/2020 20:37:22:

Mowing commercially is not the same as green keeping from which I have been lucky enough to have been given sufficient information on, If you have done professional ground keeping than you will know that.

?

You a golfer or model flyer.

Google is at our fingertips, tells you allsorts, some of it not relevant to today, message is stay home.

And if you could remember, you'd spot I already posted green keeping is a different matter, takes a lot of care and attention, that's why I don't begrudge them going out working. Our field, it'll be fine.

Me done with you, take care all.

The problem as I see it is whether or not you would be prepared to set out for the day to cut the grass or any other activities with the knowledge that if there was an accident/car crash etc of some sort that you may not have the option of receiving a response from the Emergency Service/NHS

I a Medic at a local small ambulance station, there is only about 10 of us to staff it 24/7 we also have to self isolate (I'm on week 2, having displayed symptoms after dealing with a confirmed case)there are others of at the minute aswell, the hospitals only have a fixed number of beds and have only started treating those who have a fighting chance of survival. My son works for the Fire Service and they are in the same boat. There is not an unending supply of staff or hospital beds. France and Spain have banned cycling for this purpose, so the choice is yours!

Where I live (9 miles from the nearest town) we are still seeing cyclists and camper vans going past our houses, though not as many as usual. All the locals are playing by the rules and have the same attitude. You can't educate pork.

Anyway back to the grass.

I had noticed (as I live near the flying field) that the grass in the field was getting long. So it was arranged for a couple of us to go cut the strip the day before lockdown started. It was decided we could do so and keep our distance from each other. We got there to find that the sheep had beaten us to it ! Obviously the grass on the strip is tastier and the farmer had let them in early. Having got there it seemed a shame not to get a couple of flights in (from either side of the strip). That seems like years ago.

Posted by Rob on 04/04/2020 09:35:39:

The problem as I see it is whether or not you would be prepared to set out for the day to cut the grass or any other activities with the knowledge that if there was an accident/car crash etc of some sort that you may not have the option of receiving a response from the Emergency Service/NHS

I a Medic at a local small ambulance station, there is only about 10 of us to staff it 24/7 we also have to self isolate (I'm on week 2, having displayed symptoms after dealing with a confirmed case)there are others of at the minute aswell, the hospitals only have a fixed number of beds and have only started treating those who have a fighting chance of survival. My son works for the Fire Service and they are in the same boat. There is not an unending supply of staff or hospital beds. France and Spain have banned cycling for this purpose, so the choice is yours!

Good for you Rob yes

A big thank you for you ,your son and all the other emergency staff NHS, Police , Fire and Army who look after us in times of need and desperation.

Im a retired fireman( firefighter in modern parlance) and spent all my working life in the fire service on operational duties . Non emergency workers cannot begin to understand the dedication given by emergency workers to protect others from whatever threat comes along.

Those that criticise these emergency measures or have only to think about their daily activities , just think ; while your running out of or away from a dangerous situation these men and women are running in or towards it and putting themselves at risk.

Stop and think of the bigger picture of why am I being asked to stay in? Any incident while your out and about or cutting grass , will impact on the ability of the emergency services that are already stretched in some cases to the limit to respond. They have been cut mercilessly by cuts to funding by uncaring politicians of all parties for over a decade and now being asked to step up to the line and help us. In many cases those emergency workers have had virtually no pay rise in that decade !

If you must vent you feeling then get onto you MP and let them know your anger at our unpreparedness for a worldwide emergency and stop bickering about cutting grass and not being able to fly our toys .

By nagging your MP maybe just maybe they will not let this happen again as it surely will .

Edited By Engine Doctor on 04/04/2020 11:18:35

• 3 weeks later...

Good news from the SAA which has sought and obtained official permission from the government for clubs to maintain their flying sites during the lockdown, in order to preserve the utility of the field and for them to be available once the lockdown finishes. It;s based on the fact that golf clubs have been permitted to continue to cut their grass and maintain their facilities, and applies to a range of sports.

Well done SAA.

Posted by leccyflyer on 24/04/2020 12:59:42:

Good news from the SAA which has sought and obtained official permission from the government for clubs to maintain their flying sites during the lockdown, in order to preserve the utility of the field and for them to be available once the lockdown finishes. It;s based on the fact that golf clubs have been permitted to continue to cut their grass and maintain their facilities, and applies to a range of sports.

Well done SAA.

So come on then BMFA!!!

Ducking for cover.