SIG Rascal 110" refurb and electrification

A couple of little jobs to do before I tackle the covering, hinges for the ailerons and flaps. I decided to use 'furry' mylar hinges for the ailerons, just like the original had and was able to cut slots close to the original hinge positions. But for the flaps I wanted there to be a 'slot' between the flaps and wing when they are in the down position. I was going to 3D print some stand off hinges for this but decided to use Robart instead. In order for these to work as I wanted they had to be positioned back from the flap / wing join so that their hinge point sits below that joint line. They also need to be fitted into holes which are set at an angle (the pictures that follow make this clearer!). To make sure that I drilled the holes in the correct position I fashioned a drill guide out of some scrap plywood, and drilled several guides so that I could chose which one was going to be the best.

fullsizeoutput_1439.jpeg

The guide is held against the wing false TE and then against the flap LE

fullsizeoutput_143a.jpeg

With a drill stop in place to prevent me going too far!

fullsizeoutput_143d.jpeg

This gives the required set back hole

fullsizeoutput_143b.jpeg

The test pieces with Robarts fitted

fullsizeoutput_143c.jpeg

And having then drilled the holes in the flap and wing I dry fitted the assembly

fullsizeoutput_143e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1440.jpeg

With the flaps deployed

fullsizeoutput_1441.jpeg

That only left the covering to be done which took an incredible amount of time, in fact I've only completed one wing and the other won't be finished for a few days as I realised that I won't have enough white (a 5m roll is not enough for both wings!). Still, there are plenty of other jobs that need doing so I won't be wasting time.

The one wing (the 'bad' one) covered.

fullsizeoutput_1438.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1437.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Posted by john stones 1 on 24/04/2020 12:15:56:
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 24/04/2020 12:06:30:

I'm still trying to find a couple of metres of 1oz glass cloth that I tidied away. I did know which pile it was in, now I have my worktop back but can no longer find the big bag of white cloth.

It's where you first looked, It's always there. wink

It wasn't but I did find a brand new 2M pack of 25gm cloth that I didn't know I'd got

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 25/04/2020 23:46:21:
Posted by john stones 1 on 24/04/2020 12:15:56:
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 24/04/2020 12:06:30:

I'm still trying to find a couple of metres of 1oz glass cloth that I tidied away. I did know which pile it was in, now I have my worktop back but can no longer find the big bag of white cloth.

It's where you first looked, It's always there. wink

It wasn't but I did find a brand new 2M pack of 25gm cloth that I didn't know I'd got

yes

@Bob - I usually rely on eyesight for drilling holes but in this case the jig was much the better approach!

@John - talking of sheds, and re-covering jobs, that’s exactly what I’m doing today. Fortunately no iron or hot air gun being used.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm aback after a short break waiting for the roll of covering film to arrive, which it did at the end of last week (thanks Rapid).

No point taking a shot of the wing covering because it's the same as the other one! but here's are shots showing the flaps and ailerons fitted, the servo cover / mounting plates and them fitted to the wing with new pushrods in place.

fullsizeoutput_1456.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1447.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1448.jpeg

Then it was back to the tail end and I fitted the fin, making sure that it was upright (unlike before the refurb!), fitted the fin and elevators all using flat cyano hinges from SLEC. I had already decided to do away with the rudder pull / pull system and have a rear mounted servo like the one for the elevators. My logic behind this was that I am adding weight to the rear of the Rascal which will mean having to move the flight batteries further forward, just what I want as it will make them easier to get in and out. Just to tidy up the servo installations I printed a 'servo tidy'.

fullsizeoutput_1455.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1457.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1458.jpeg

Forgot a shot of the new pushrod but once you've seen one you've seen them all.

Then it was re-fitting the tailwheel assembly, no change to this as it was pretty good anyway (I did re-silver solder the wheel mount).

fullsizeoutput_1459.jpeg

Next up the main U/C, the spats look a bit tired and need some TLC

fullsizeoutput_145a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_145b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_145d.jpeg

Rubbed down and ready for glass fibre strengthening / joining.

fullsizeoutput_145e.jpeg

I've now left them to thoroughly dry overnight.

New boots and pants (ies - a nod to Ian Dury!!).

The spats turned out all right after a lot of rubbing down and several coats of paint.

img_4662.jpg

As mentioned in a previous post, the windscreen needed replacing as the old one had turned yellow and had numerous cracks in it. I half contemplated trying to vacuum form one but it's quite large (roughly a 6" cube) so in the end went down the 3D print route and after a couple of practice runs this is what was produced (matches the side windows)

fullsizeoutput_1460.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1461.jpeg

I know its not clear but more like 'toilet glass' so the name of the 'plane may well change from Rascal to Crapper.

Next up, fitting the motor and esc.

fullsizeoutput_1462.jpeg

And then assemble the whole lot and out into the garden for some final shots

fullsizeoutput_1463.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1466.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1464.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1465.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1467.jpeg

There are a couple of things that I've noticed that need to be fixed plus I have the RX to install and then CoG testing before I locate the flight batteries, but that is it!

Now back onto the Lavochkin LA-7 that I started 2 years ago, then stopped!

Thanks to those who have followed and commented on this thread.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi Gary, yes, the windscreen and side windows did eventually turn up so that’s what’s in it now.

This model has got to be in my top 5 favourite ‘planes, especially now with the internal lighting and strobes for night flying!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi

I love the work your doing on your Rascal. 
I’m currently working on the same type project on a Rascal 110. 
I was curious as if you would consider making a Hatch and dash like yours for me. 
I wouldn’t have a problem paying you for doing this. 
Also where did you find the instrument panel decals?  
If you would do this just let me know how much I owe including shipping. 

Thank you in advance

Ed. 

Thanks Ed

3 years, well nearly 4 now and the Rascal is still one of my favourite models and is also a brilliant 'plane for giving newcomers their first taste of flying.

I'll have to think about building another hatch / dash for you as I'll have to refresh my memory about how I did it! As a matter of interest whereabouts in the country are you?

Ron