Rediscovering My helicopter Fleet

Dwain Dibley.

Like a lot of Folks, I have been at a loss with what to do to get a Hobby fix.

I have no more space for New model planes, and can't fly them if I did.

So having done all the outstanding jobs, tidied the workshop and garage, sorted the garden, apart from the stuff that needs stuff, that you can't get from anywhere for weeks, or by standing in a 2 mile queue, I noticed all my helicopters.

They range from micro to .50 size, all electric now tho, no nitro, I sold those a while back.

To cut a long story short, thank god I hear you cry!!, I got too ambitious too soon.

I cracked my little HK/Align Hybrid 250, and had to order some parts.

I dunno about you lot, but the tinkering is the thing for me, so a few happy hours were spent after work at the college. (I have to do one day a week at the moment to keep on top of the maintenance, and routine checks, like legionnaires, etc).

I had to replace the frame base, the skids, the legs, some pitch arms, the blades, and some other general maintenance items like grub screws and the like.

I always buy the Align spares, as they are better quality than the Hobby King originals. I use Midland Helicopters as their service is beyond brilliant.

There is life without going out (of the back garden), and I am fortunate to have the use of the sports hall at work.

D.D.

The all in one bottom frame and skids bit the dust.

img_20200421_165409.jpg

img_20200421_165640.jpg

As you can see they are pretty flat. crying

img_20200421_165649.jpg

New bottom plate in, and separate legs and skids, should be easier to repair next time .LOL

img_20200421_170835.jpg

An indication of the size of some of the hardware.

img_20200421_171551.jpg

All in place, now for the main shaft and rotor head.

img_20200421_175311.jpg

Usually the mains shaft gets bent in a prang, but I got away with it, I ordered spares anyway though, as I am well rusty on the sticks. surprise.

I also had to replace the main gear as these strip very easily, even if you manage to hit the hold switch.

img_20200421_175509.jpg

img_20200421_193319.jpg

Last bit on the fuselage is the Anti Rotation Bracket. I fixed the original in the end, so fitted that one, the new one is in the spares box.

img_20200421_193327.jpg

img_20200421_193634.jpg

The finished Model, ready to go.

img_20200421_211809.jpg

While testing, I found that I had hardly any positive pitch, after some head scratching I remembered I had changed the two pitch control rods, that connect to the blade holders. When I measured the originals I found they were 2.5 mm shorter. I replaced them with shorter Align ones from my trusty hardware bag, and all was well once more.

I know Helis are not everyone's cup of tea, but I hope i have taken your minds off covid 19.

Stay safe.....

D.D.

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 21/04/2020 22:32:54

Well done Dwain at it all helps to keep the boredom at bay. My helicoter fleet have undergone extensive maintenance (much needed with the two hacks!) since this virus stopped us flying the things. Hopefully with my two weekly schedule of discharging my battery packs to 50%, then recharging them fully, before discharging again to their storage voltage, the batteries wil survive this prolong period of inactivity too!.

As Captain Ted says "tomorrow will be a better day" but lets hope this weather lasts until we are let out again.

Barry

I have been:

• building - SFM SE5 (covered in heavyweight tissue)
  • fixing all the broken/damaged things
  • moving as much as I can from Spektrum to taranis
  • flying my quads/helis in garden and house (my fpv indoors has become MUCH better)
  • gardening
  • eating too much
  • drinking too much.

Retired 7 minutes ago so searching for a new toy - a 250 size heli looks appealing....

GG

You inspired me to get my Medivac out today JD8, I had forgotten what damn good fun they were. laugh

Sounds familiar G.G.. I am getting the retirement vibe just doing one day a week.....only 4 years to go....smile d

Barryorbik, glad to hear from a fellow Heli fan. wink

D.D.

Some more of the fleet.

All the twisters and a Blade.

img_20200423_124943.jpg

TT E550

img_20200423_125016.jpg

HK/TREX 500 and a TT Mini Titan

img_20200423_125031.jpg

MCPX, given to me by a pal who is no longer with us.

img_20200423_125200.jpg

Nice to see someone else with a Mini Titan DD. My three are all converted to flybarless now with mini V Bars and Align FBL heads, and they fly so much better than when they had flybars on. Main advantages of the change are increased flying times resulting from lower head drag, and more flight accuracy and response as the FBL heads have less parts and therefore less slack in the head control components.

The little MCPx's are great fun to fly the garden, but sadly I made a big mistake as I failed to get any new batteries for mine at Weston Park last year, so my flight times now are less than two minutes before they BEC out!!

Stay safe and keep enjoying rediscovering the thrills and inevitable spills of helicopter flying.

Barry