CAD operator needed please

cymaz

Dear All

I have a request for any forum member who is a wiz with CAD.

I’ve been thinking and planning for a year or so about a project I’d like to do in retirement, still a few years off. I

I have several sheets of plans for a Wittman D-12 Bonzo. It was originally built in 1934 by Steve Wittman and was a successful pylon racer. There are a couple of variants between 1937-38.

The most accurate plans I have are from the total refurbishment and rebuild from 1984. These show a very detailed drawing of all the main components, wing profile and scale.

The wing span was 17’2” , fuselage 22’ 2”on the renovation ( original dimensions ). A 1/2 scale model would be ideal.

Would anyone be willing to draw up a set of building plans, calculate the projected weight and suggest an engine size?

I would pay for the time involved. All the plans I have I would gladly copy and they would be yours to keep. Here are some pictures I’ve dug off the internet and a photo of the most detailed plans I have.

2bd3fade-9790-472f-9a30-a130a2b4d42c.jpeg

0ba731a1-0f05-45ba-a38a-879760892fd2.jpeg

c1d2e8cb-f9a4-4af4-9e83-424ef444b98b.jpeg

7fd55533-1994-4db8-8d6d-e4fcf173c679.jpeg

Thanks. I will read up on that. There is a thread on RCUniverse also. I need to read that one as well. Perhaps I can buy a plan from the States and get it enlarged.

I’ve contacted DB Sport And Scale, Cambrian, Tony Nijhuis, all said sorry, no.

Just waiting for Slec to answer back. I don’t hold out much hopefrown

Posted by Barrie Lever on 23/04/2020 17:53:36:

Cymaz

My experience is more in modern composite type designs but I do modelling CAD everyday and your project whilst interesting is a lot of work.

I wish you the best of luck.

How about upskilling for your retirement and learn CAD in some form or another.

B.

yes

Posted by Paul Marsh on 23/04/2020 19:47:50:

Give Richard of Falcon Aviation a ring. He has models designed and built for the LMA, the large Vulcan being one.

I had my General Western P-2-S Kit off Richard. Top guy, but it appears his website has disappeared

Thanks for all your interest. I’m thinking of blowing up the 3 view plans to the scale I need. This should give me real size wing ribs and fuselage formers.

Do the readers agree with this strategy?

All the model companies I’ve contacted can’t help with cad.

Barrie, funny you mentioned the tail size. Today, I was experimenting with increasing rudder and elevators size, as well as increasing wing span ......not by a lot to notice. I haven’t yet done the maths about % increase. There are certain ratios between tail and wing area.

I will keep you all updated soon.yes

• 2 years later...

Cymaz,

I know this thread is old, but those are my father's Bob's drawings from the restoration of Bonzo for the EAA Museum in approximately 1982.  In fact, I think his name is in the titleblock.  I have those very same drawings in CAD format.  (.dwg or .vwx)  Let me know if you're still interested.

PJS