Seagull Challenger Sport LW C of G

Hi oh gurus of the sky,

So I've popped together a Seagull Challenger Sport LW to replace my now broken XT40. C of G is quoted as 60mm back from the LE. I've built to plan and got my 6v battery as far forward in the cabin as it'll go. It's actually in the removable hatch immediately behind the bulkhead and without a ton of lead in the snout I can't get the balance any further forward that about 80mm. SC52 up the front should be heavy enough I would have thought. Your thoughts would be appreciated please gentleman. 🙂

I built the challenger from the Seagull kit but in a leccy set up. The balance was perfect. I am not certain how much that would vary from the ic If I remember correctly the ic set up does not use the cowl and the electric version would have the heavy battery further forward and a lighter motor. Lovely model though and a dream to fly.

Some models seem to vary one to another. I have an artf acrowot with an FS70 which needed lots of lead up front, the RCME review model did as well l My friend has one with an os55 and that needed none. I also think there was a be bare on here about that one too so hopefully the challenger being a popular model you should get plenty answers across the different set ups

Edited By gangster on 27/04/2020 11:30:59

I had an OS46ax in mine that required additional weight, so I put in an OS 55ax, no additional weight needed. Had the model for 3 years flew beautifully, until a low and fast pass...ouch!! Have replaced it with the kit version that's awaiting me finishing my latest build first.

Russ If you are about to build the kit version Just a few points that you may or not know. There are a very comprehensive set of videos on you tube. I take my hat off to the guy who made them as I am sure I would have needed to have built 3 of them to make that video. It does help to make up lack of info in the otherwise comprehensive build manual with respect to the fuselage construction. This omission was noted by the reviewer in RCME. Must have gone like made with an OS55 in

Thanks for the heads up on the videos.

It did go really well with the 55 in, its the same size as the 46 so fitted in easily. I try to fit a larger therefore heavier engine rather than put lots of lead up front. You don't have to go full throttle all the time! Had lots of fun with it thought I'd buy the kit version this time, something to do in isolation. Plus my local model shop had 1 in stock and he delivered to me.

Hi Snorbitz, I have the artf version and was surprised at the 60mm recommendation for c of g. It looked so far forward of the main spar and from where you would expect it to be. So I did my own calculations which placed it at 75mm from leading edge. It flies very well with this c of g and is responsive and stable. I've had many successful flights with it.

Cheers

• 1 year later...