Sullivan Moulded Wing Cores

img_20200504_123355487.jpgimg_20200504_123427510.jpgI found these in the loft today, I bought them years ago I think I asked the model shop owner if he had any wings for a Gangster 63. These what he got out of a back room. They are moulded in an egg box type formation for minimal use of foam for lightness. I think he had had them for some considerable time and wanted to get rid of them. Combined they measure 63" span with a root chord of 10" and a tip chord of 8" without any leading, trailing edge or tips added. The section is symmetrical.

Has anyone seen these before and what were they originally intended for.

Andy.

It's quite dense foam which would be too heavy if they had been moulded solid.

It looks like they were meant to be skinned with balsa as obechi veneer would be too thin over the unsupported areas.

The rearward position of the mounting blocks shows that they were meant for a model with a tricycle type U/C. No cutting line for inset ailerons meaning strip ailerons are required so not a modern design.

A.

instructions

There is a thread on another forum about these wings.

**LINK**

Full sheeting, or part sheeting plus capstrtips.

Standard strip ailerons, no problem there, looks like they were meant to fit standard pre cut trailing edge stock.

Apparently a dead ringer for a Kaos wing?

Would be easy enough to use them, I think, should you want to.