Mooonraker Nostalgia

• 2 months later...

Well finally MOONRAKER took to the skies on 30th Aug2020 at Lynne of Skene at the ADS fly-in. A short flight enabled some trimming as the plane tended to bank left. A successful and graceful landing concluded the MAIDEN.

No decorations or livery yet...The plane earned it badge and the right for decoration. which will follow soon. Here are a couple of photos from the day..moonraker maiden2 30aug2020.jpg

moonraker maiden 30aug2020.jpg

Some loosening of the motor fixing bolts were observed after the flight.. More Loctite threadlock to be applied....

Edited By Murat Kece 1 on 01/09/2020 22:57:00

Edited By Murat Kece 1 on 01/09/2020 22:57:27

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I finally got round to decorating my Moonraker. I reassembled the motor with more Locktite and also changed the wheels with 75mm ones to give more clearance to the propeller. The propeller was upgraded to 10 x 5 giving 480watts at 41A with 60A ESC.

2110626195_Moonraker-Feb2022-POWERTEST-10X5PROP.thumb.PNG.f647caef8e01f12b79452332293278d8.PNG

AUW now is Fus 1183gr and Wing 596gr Total= 1.78 kg with CG 100mm from the leading edge as per the plan.. Here are some photos of the final product. 

Moonraker-Feb2022-5.thumb.PNG.5beeb65ec0d660124aa9464bf75d9539.PNG

Moonraker-Feb2022-3.thumb.PNG.6886744ce928544bb8bb01d34ff68ac5.PNG

Moonraker-Feb2022-4.thumb.PNG.d310a4c959e24ce4996e6b6406f79f5d.PNG

Moonraker-Feb2022-1.thumb.PNG.b0149f484de728b3b4ca0f399dcdb7ea.PNG

Moonraker-Feb2022-2.PNG.0bcfd4313c150528e91ad392f5d1a0d7.PNG

Edited by Murat Kece 1
spelling correction
  • Like 5

Lovely job ?

I remember when HM introduced the Moonraker at the model shows many years ago. A nice flying  model. It may have been at Plumpton ? 

Those were good times when, if you liked the model being  flown you could buy one at the show. 

Again great job .

Edited by Engine Doctor

• 1 month later...

I purchased three models and some other kit from a gentleman who was retiring due to ill health and one of the models was an unfinished HM Chandelle. (the one on the left in the picture)

Can anyone give me any information about this model. Ive looked on the internet and I can't seem to find anything apart from this thread.

The model has the wings all done with a servo fitted, landing gear and the wood installed in the fuselage for the servos etc and a four stroke OS engine fitted.

However the vertical and horizontal stabs are not fitted although they have the hinges fitted, I have done a trial fit but they go into the fuselage too far causing the elevator to have no travel so I'm going to have to modify the vertical stab slightly to stop it going in so far. 

IMG_2879.JPG

19 hours ago, Paul Kid1 said:

I purchased three models and some other kit from a gentleman who was retiring due to ill health and one of the models was an unfinished HM Chandelle. (the one on the left in the picture)

Can anyone give me any information about this model. Ive looked on the internet and I can't seem to find anything apart from this thread.

I can't tell you anything specific, other than I saw one fly once way back in the day and it was very nice. Graceful and elegant rather than an all action powerhouse, the owner flew it in the manner of the Fournier demos that were commonplace at airshows in the 80s.

Well worth reconditioning I would say, but defintely stick with the four stroke or convert it to electric; a buzzy two stroke would spoil the effect IMO.

Edited by MattyB