Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

I am not sure what happened it triple posted then the photos disappeared.  Very odd.  

Well did some more weathering. 

Put her on the balance she needs 137g on the tail.....  

Might try to move the esc back to see what that does to the balance any ideas? 

10 hours ago, Jonathan S said:

Might try to move the esc back to see what that does to the balance any ideas? 

Nice job Jonathan.

I suggest find a way to move your Lipo back. It's the biggest chunk of mass so has the greatest effect.

Unusual to need much weight at the back though; where is the CofG? If you are a few mm ahead of recommended, it may be fine.

Folks, I've nearly finished my spitfire - just adding some panelling and weathering. I have been trying to decide what to build next. It might be the Mustang. In any case, when I do build it, I've decided I am going to be going for Tom Cruise's plane in Top Gun Maverick - it's partly because it has absolutely no weathering requirements so I can just make it look spit n polish clean!

http://www.rodbearden.com/California 2019/Planes of Fame Air Museum/North American P-51K Mustang 44-12840 LG-W N51EW 3.html

I might even attempt to get a Tom Cruise 3D head printed, but we'll see!!

• Like 1

Graham,

I have added the battery extension but I did not take it back to the instrument panel. 

Just performed some more surgery to remove it.  Managed to get it out intact (must have used lots of Glue!!) So re-reading the posts I will move it back to the cockpit area.  I have tested the location and the battery should slide quite far back. 

I have also moved the ESC from just behind the motor as Paul had his to as far back as I can get it. not sure how much cooling it will get in its new location but we can test and see.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Glad you have a solution.

If you can, let cooling take precedent with the ESC. Moving the battery will have a far bigger impact on CofG, and you don't want to cook the ESC.

I am surprised that it is so nose heavy though. Particularly with the big 4 blade prop. Where is the CofG exactly? 5Oz of lead in the tail is a huge amount. In general I try to build the back ends as light as possible and only very occasionally do I need tiny amounts of tailweight during flight trimming. Before you get properly righteous with your airframe, I would double check the balance point.

Graham

Graham,

I have not done much surgery yet just un-mounted the battery extension.  I am not sure where the CoG is at the moment other than its not where is meant to be and to balance it out took over 137g of weight on the elevator to balance it.  I am planning on re-balancing it over the long weekend to see exactly where it does balance. 

the 4 bladed prop and ali spinner do weigh a considerable amount.  My plane seems to be spot on weight wise but all that weight could be sitting on the tail. 

I will let you know how it goes.... 

Jon

I'm not familiar with the Mustang, but that sounds a touch aft to me. Most of my 'birds of this size have a root chord of around 300mm, and for me, I'd start at 25% chord, so around 75mm from the leading edge. 100mm would be 33% (assuming the root chord is 300mm of course), and that would certainly be a lot further back than I would be comfortable for a maiden flight. My own design Regianne RE205 is 55" span and 290mm root chord. I found 80mm from the leading edge to far back..

The WR boys will step in and advise more accurately, but hold fire on adding any weight for now until that's confirmed.

Graham

I love the colour scheme Jon , that would have been on my list . 

I will nudge Paul Johnson about the C of G because he experimented more than me . 

Because the Mustang and La7 have stepped leading edges ,you cant make comparisons with other fighters in terms of Cof G in relation to the former in front of the wing .