Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

Jonathan , without getting too involved I would recommend the following . 

The aim is to get the best performance from your battery within a 5min flight time . Both Paul and Vic are very good at economical flying but that is partly because they tend to fly when there is no wind (Paul flies very early and Vic lives in an area of Italy that rarely has a breeze). Those conditions allow maximum exploitation of energy management as used by the full sized pilots . 

Paul is correct in saying that our power to weight ratio is poor compared with a sport model . Having said that , a well set up one will go uphill very well indeed . 

Your model seems to be under pitched for some reason . I say that because after 5mins my on my 3300mah packs and a managed display as per Duxford I will be down to 30% .  Use Pauls prop pitching method . But stick to the five minutes and note what is left in the pack . 

You can pitch up the prop quite a bit, but use the throttle with some common sense . We dont have a gearbox or variable prop so its a bit like trying to drive your car round Brands Hatch (including the hairpin) in top gear . So respect your set up. Flat out in dead air is a real NO NO , you will blow the ESC at the very least .

Having said that my P51 , 109 and Spitfire all have 65 amp escs with pitched props . All have had 400+ flights and no blow ups . 

There is plenty of performance to be had if you just inch towards it . Remember that each increase in pitch will increase torque as well as amps . So , like the real thing watch out for that on take off or a go round . 

• Thanks 1