Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

It will take a few weeks to get the revised version of the P51 kit sorted , so it will give your better halves time to adjust. Try engaging them in random conversation and stay away from any aircraft or WW2 related subject , I also find that it is best to attempt a diversionary tactic just before the box arrives . Bathing the dog perhaps, or repainting the front door , ie , those tasks she keeps going on about . Its a science,Its not simple like building model aircraft.

The lady of the house is a complex creature . Think along the lines of the "advanced programme" of an FF9 transmitter , but with no manual .

Weve all got some jobs on the work bench anyway , so we dont want to start sending out the P51 till its sorted .

Price wise , the Mustang will be £159.

Can someone suggest as to what I should do?

Options

1. Buy one
  2. Buy two and make a P82 (but it will be electric) and I already have a electric P38
  3. Hold out for a Laser powered option of something
  4. Hold out and make a twin Laser powered version

Please list options in you preferred order, thanks

Edited By Chris Walby on 14/05/2020 13:22:34

@Chris - buy 2 on the basis that you will be making a P82 but if you get fed up with that idea you can build one in WW2 guise and the other as a Reno racer. That will then still leave you free to wait for a Laser powered something or 2 if P82 (2 x Laser 70s).

Here is a thought that may be worth mentioning to your friends . When we designed the original Mustang back in 2011. Electric flight and foamies had nothing like the dominance that they have now . In the mean time , companies like FMS , Dynam etc have taken a huge chunk of the world market . The FMS P51 thread on RC scale forum is virtually endless , with our American cousins proudly announcing that "they have pulled the trigger" on the latest version .

How bold and brash they are when it comes to the proclamation of purchase, compared with the Englishmen's approach . We , whilst , looking at the floor , hands fiddling restlessly with our cap , shuffle in to the kitchen where the lady wife is doing something important and with an apologetic light cough , ask her if she had given any thought at all , to your birthday, that may possibly , all things being well , be coming up?

The Englishman is also a cunning scavenger . So this is where it is worth casting around your friends . You will have noted I mentioned the FMS Mustang creeping into existence between the two versions of my Mustang (how time flies ?) . David Ashby did review it on this very forum just a few threads away . All he says is true , it looks lovely , flies nicely , but its not an everyday model because it is not stiff enough , Note the price at £225 , its £300 now . There are now eight versions of it ! Shows how much Ive been slacking !

The point is , after the 8 versions and worldwide sales , there is an enormous back up of spare parts and accessories, and guess what ? Even though mine preceded it , those parts all fit my design ! Weird Karma?Premonition ? Who knows what happens in the world of smoneone ,who's chief assistants are a pair of puppets ?

Consequently if you do have a friend with a battered looking FMS P51 you might want to suggest what he could do with the hardware from his pockmarked and gorilla glued lump of polystyrene , or you might want to "help" him dispose of it ,to save him from the heinous crime of fly tipping ,

If you dont have that option , dont panic , the retracts , props and spinners are reassuringly affordable .

Thank goodness for Chinese ingenuity .......

Hello Gary ,

The wings will be laser cut built up wings ,with flaps . The Spitfire wing goes together so quickly that it makes sense to go down the same route .

Ron , when the FMS stuff had been out for while , I bought the P51 (V7) and Zero to make my own assessment of whatI Iiked and didnt like . How the weights and top speed worked when converting my designs for the electric market. I also borrowed the 109 , Corsair and Trojan .

It will be controversial to say this , but the P51 seemed slow and floppy compared to the others . The Zero was very good , but not when windy . Still, at around £180 -£210 at the time , they were pretty good for an instant fix .

Epo foam models with all the internal stiffeners are not as light as people think . A 6lb balsa fighter will fly much better .

The bigger 1700mm FMS fighters are now £450 . Even though they are very good and seem to be stiffer than their little brothers , for that money you could build a much better wooden model , that will fly better and live longer.

Posted by RICHARD WILLS on 14/05/2020 18:13:05:

Hello Gary ,

The wings will be laser cut built up wings ,with flaps . The Spitfire wing goes together so quickly that it makes sense to go down the same route .

Ron , when the FMS stuff had been out for while , I bought the P51 (V7) and Zero to make my own assessment of whatI Iiked and didnt like . How the weights and top speed worked when converting my designs for the electric market. I also borrowed the 109 , Corsair and Trojan .

It will be controversial to say this , but the P51 seemed slow and floppy compared to the others . The Zero was very good , but not when windy . Still, at around £180 -£210 at the time , they were pretty good for an instant fix .

Epo foam models with all the internal stiffeners are not as light as people think . A 6lb balsa fighter will fly much better .

The bigger 1700mm FMS fighters are now £450 . Even though they are very good and seem to be stiffer than their little brothers , for that money you could build a much better wooden model , that will fly better and live longer.

Even better! Well I'm definitely in for one then

Gary

Another good reason to move from foam to balsa is captured in this picture of a foam P51 in flight. Check out the bend in the wings.

a9660892-101-s1890034.jpg

Yes I am biased but with good cause, I have flown my P51 FMS 1400mm for some time. It flys well on calm days but in anything more than a gentle breeze still flies but it's not pleasant. Often waving to me as it goes past. Then I flew one of Richard's models and what a difference.

I'm very new to this building malarkey, but I'm guessing that there will be LOTS of info on here as some of the more experienced hands get involved?!

I was all ready to get back into aeromodelling and RC after a 30+ year hiatus and then blinkin' corona virus happened! Oh well, let's hope there's light at the end of the tunnel. I am about to start building the little EDF Phantom from the RCM&E plans by Tony N.

Then The DB Gringo I have waiting in the wings. Hopefully after that little lot I'll be more than ready to think about tackling this beauty...

Posted by Paul Johnson 4 on 14/05/2020 21:41:21:

Another good reason to move from foam to balsa is captured in this picture of a foam P51 in flight. Check out the bend in the wings.

a9660892-101-s1890034.jpg

Yes I am biased but with good cause, I have flown my P51 FMS 1400mm for some time. It flys well on calm days but in anything more than a gentle breeze still flies but it's not pleasant. Often waving to me as it goes past. Then I flew one of Richard's models and what a difference.

The foam FMS models are nothing like the foam veneered wings. These are really strong but have their down side I like them because I am not keen on wing building even though I am Building a biplane at the moment ,it's not to bad when the ribs are laser cut but a lot more time consuming compared with foam wings.

Eric r.

I am not keen on wing building even though I am Building a biplane at the moment ,it's not to bad when the ribs are laser cut but a lot more time consuming compared with foam wings.

Eric r.

Hi Eric

I have built both types of Richards designs foam cored wings (Bf109) and laser cut rib (Spitfire) models. Due to the way he designs the laser cut version, they come with a wing jig to assist, i found there is not a great deal of difference in time involved really. Mind you I do tend to spend a little more time with the foam veneered wings in lining the cut outs with very thin ply but that's my choice. If you have not as yet tried one of his designs it's definitely worth a go.

You'll be pleasantly surprised .....

20190117_164656.jpg

20170210_085214.jpg

20180708_164424.jpg