Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

Hi Paul,

What a fine set of well made models you have, I have just returned to aircraft modelling and had not heard of the Warbirds kits until joining the forum. I will have to contact Richard to put my name down for a Mustang, and a Spitfire if he still has some left. What size is the 110 and what motors etc. are you using? I had the Brian Taylor one long before electric, it flew well on 2 O.S. 25 FSR engines sadly one failed over a concrete runway not much left of it. I would love another but I see Richards are out of production. Maybe another B.T. if I live long enough.

Cheers Eric.

I have put a lot of information on the 110 and 109 builds regarding achieving that 'look'.

The initial inspiration was from a visit to Richard a few years back and he had placed his Spitfire out as a center piece. That blew me away. It was then after he explained how to achieve this that I discovered how easy it was.

It is very achievable to all not just the few who tend to not share some of these things.

The frightening thing was drawing the first line.... after that I have never looked back.

Posted by David Hazell 1 on 14/05/2020 15:35:15:

I'm in. P51D I reckon. Thanks!

I don't know if you're still taking orders for the new limited run on spitfires too, but if your are, I'd love one of them aswell. Perfectly happy to wait until both are ready to be shipped at the same time to save on shipping costs.

Thanks

David

Posted by Ron Gray on 15/05/2020 08:00:32:

Has the 110 flown yet Paul?

Hi Ron,

No not as yet. it was due to fly late last year but work and weather got in the way. This year sure has been a right off so far. Hopefully when things get going again. I will arrange a few pictures/video when that happens though.

p51b cripes2.jpgRe the 110 , Take a day off work Paul , we can test it . Dwain Dibley back on the 110 thread flew his and posted video way back . Tropical colours for his one , he is a very fast builder . Cracking lad too.p51b cripes.jpg

On the P51 thread we have a massive selection of colour schemes . The whole blue nose look has more options than you would think . For example "Cripes A Mighty " is represented in polished alloy at Kermit Weeks museum in Floriida . His P51D version is very glamorous and there are some fantastic stills and video of it .

However , did you know that there was a previous "Cripes a Mighty " ?

Yes indeed , in fact a rather racy looking "B" model

Most of us , (especially you Peter ) have stuff on the bench , so it will take a few weeks to get the P51s ready . Remember , a manual also has to be documented before they go out too . Having said that , there seems to be a real appetite and enthusiasm for this model , so we will be pushing it along as quickly as possible .

I have also spoken to our fabulous friend who makes the Spitfire pilot ,as I would like a really authentic US pilot with the same fine detail . He has struggled to get materials lately , but assures me he will have something really god for us before the kits are ready . The pilot is quite prominent in the P51 so this is an important detail .Likewise if you look at the Stars and Bars decals for the Mustang , they should actually be a much darker shade of Blue than that often offered from most suppliers . That is another detail that I am looking at .

Talking of finish , I have had several people asking about taking weathering and finish to a higher level on their latest creation . This is something we can definitely help with on this particular build . There will be lots of different colours used on the P51 and consequently it will give lots of scope on hope to approach making these colours look more worn and realistic . A good example is the aircraft shown by Paul above . The fighters of the 361 Group featured yellow noses in various variants . Now , you could depict your model as factory fresh or even as one of the cosseted beauties of today like "Frankie" stored at Duxford . But more likely you will want to depict the exhaust stains , panel lines and oil leaks , that are obvious on a hard working front line fighter . This is a technique rather than an artistic skill , so with a bit of guidance , there is no reason why we cant achieve something special . The yellow nose is a real wow , but can look a bit toy like . However , with a little extra effort the bright snout can be a really great weathered feature .

I must admit , in flight , the yellow noses of this group definitely go to the front of the class . Look up Lou IV , Detroit Miss and Impatient Virgin . Definitely contenders .

p51d yellow.jpg